Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 10,114 times

Advertisements

I just moved to RI form the Washington DC are b/c of my husband's job. We both grew up in Southern California, but his job has moved us around quite a bit. I am working from home and it has been so difficult to make new friends. Where are some good places to meet young (25-35) people in South Kingstown RI? We have been out to some local bars & go to the gym every day, but it seems like it is difficult to break in to a circle of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
You are living in a rather semi rural area of Rhode Island. The good things is the closeness to the University of Rhode Island in nearby Kingston. The University has various art clubs, gardening, cooking and Theater groups you could become involved in. Not to mention taking courses and the schools various sports teams.

In the summer the beach communities of Charlestown and Jamestown offer much. Rhode Island has a thriving and growing wine industry- so if you are from California- and like wine- this is a great outlet to visit the vineyards, taste wine and meet others with the same interest.

Rhode Islands south shore mild climate has many gardening clubs, and some nice tennis and gulf courses that operate three seasons.

Newport just to the east offers many wonderful cultural amenities as well. On a weekend Providence can be of immense fun in the summer; with cultural offerings from Brown Univ. Rhode Island School of design, Providence College, the river walk and more- not to mention many fine fun bars and restaurants.

New Englanders tend to be rather into themselves- there are nice people and lots to do- it takes more work to dig below the reserved surface.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-28-2007 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM

280 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Default try this...

Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,114 times
thank you both for the help. it has been really difficult because i work from home and i always feel awkward when trying to meet new people. Finding new friends feels a bit like dating; i thought that was done with that when i got married! i will look at the meet up site. I am alos looking into going back to school at URI; my husband is currently finishing his MBA there.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,888,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjt_CAnative View Post
thI am alos looking into going back to school at URI
That will help a LOT. Especially if you take some Extension courses there, like pottery and stuff.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,985 times
Default Making Friends in South County

Hi, I feel your pain! I have lived here for 4 years and making friends is like trying to get a membership to the F Street Club!

I lived in DC for 6 years, went to GW. Career etc and ended up here b/c of fabulous beach in Narragansett but it is impossible to break into the clicks here. Have lots of aquaintances but no real friends, Thank God I grew up in MA or I'd have lost my mind on it's all about who you know here.

Hang in there, year 4 has been an eye opener for me. I am a bit too old for you all at 46 but know that eventually people start to accept you here. But it is all about who you know..............................

Peace
Jaryl

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM

192 posts, read 560,028 times
Default Try the Junior League!

Hi,
I moved here six years ago, but am now in the process of moving to SC.

My husband & I spent over 4 years trying unsuccessfully to develop a solid group of friends, and then I joined JLRI. I met some fantastic people, many transplants like myself, and now have several friends I hang out with on a weekly basis (and we often get together as couples, too). Working together on committees & volunteer projects is a good opportunity to bond, and now my group of girls is what I'll miss most when we move south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island