Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Rhode Island has the 5th highest taxes in the U.S. Combine that with the highest unemployment rate in the U.S. RI will continue to hemorrhage population. The ProJo last week included info on RI population, and the only thing keeping RI somewhat stable is a steady influx of immigrants from the Third World, most of which have no skills, many of which don't speak English. Steve Laffey, probably the best mayor the city of Cranston ever had, indicated that eventually RI will end up like a big Detroit; completely bankrupt, with huge unemployment numbers and high taxes to keep up the generous state worker benefits and pensions.

The 10 worst states for taxes in 2014 - Yahoo Finance

Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
RI's past was rich with manufacturing. Those days are gone and likely will never return. The state needs to reinvent itself and start attracting the 'new' economy, including tech and finance. The pieces are all there, with great educational institutions and a wonderful location. But if the state government continues to be run as it is, things will only get worse.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM

5,201 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
RI's past was rich with manufacturing. Those days are gone and likely will never return. The state needs to reinvent itself and start attracting the 'new' economy, including tech and finance. The pieces are all there, with great educational institutions and a wonderful location. But if the state government continues to be run as it is, things will only get worse.
This has been my only negativity towards the state.......the tremendous loss of manufacturing. It is hard to stop as states are offering lucrative incentives and the right to work states are courting the big players like Boeing in SC which they have done successfully and now they have just landed one of Boeing's paint facility's also.

We have tremendous industrial sites in the state that are not being utilized fully, Bostich, Quonset Point (great deep water port), Brown and Sharpe etc.

It's great they are converting Mills to Condo's but I would like to see more blue collar jobs come back to the state

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
People will keep voting the same and expecting different results...

Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
People will keep voting the same and expecting different results...
That's it -- blame the voters! Funny, I doubt you whined when RI voted for that monster, that utter failure, Ronnie Reagan. RI voters probably would vote differently if presented with viable options. To date, the only party that resonates with Rhode Islanders, for your information, is Democrats. They saw what the GOP had to offer with that oddity, Carcieri, and are not likely to make that mistake again. If the Republicans could stay out of everyone's bedroom and out of the private parts of a female's body, and maybe if they had economic policies other than wasteful tax cuts to the hyper-wealthy and kooky subsidies to the likes of Shilling, and maybe if their leading candidate didn't tolerate vile racist remarks by members of his campaign team, maybe they'd get somewhere. Don't blame the voters, blame the lack of a viable, alternate party.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
That's it -- blame the voters! Funny, I doubt you whined when RI voted for that monster, that utter failure, Ronnie Reagan. RI voters probably would vote differently if presented with viable options. To date, the only party that resonates with Rhode Islanders, for your information, is Democrats. They saw what the GOP had to offer with that oddity, Carcieri, and are not likely to make that mistake again. If the Republicans could stay out of everyone's bedroom and out of the private parts of a female's body, and maybe if they had economic policies other than wasteful tax cuts to the hyper-wealthy and kooky subsidies to the likes of Shilling, and maybe if their leading candidate didn't tolerate vile racist remarks by members of his campaign team, maybe they'd get somewhere. Don't blame the voters, blame the lack of a viable, alternate party.
Not one ounce of truth in there. Not ONE.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not one ounce of truth in there. Not ONE.
You seem to suffer from "That River In Egypt" syndrome.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have tremendous industrial sites in the state that are not being utilized fully, Bostich, Quonset Point (great deep water port), Brown and Sharpe etc.

It's great they are converting Mills to Condo's but I would like to see more blue collar jobs come back to the state
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a return of those unskilled manufacturing jobs. Oh, maybe some here and there, but most of them have gone to China or elsewhere and aren't coming back.

Is Bostitch vacant now? I've been wondering what happened to them, somehow I missed news of their closing.

But Quonset Point is actually booming. They've got over 175 businesses and over 9100 employees now. Electric Boat hired 400 last year plans to add 650 jobs there this year - and they've been willing to train unskilled people. Supfina's expanding by 70% this year. Toray is huge. 175,000 cars have been imported through the port, the 7th largest importer in the country. With Quonset's connection to rail, water, air and highway, they'll be busting at the seams in a couple of years. They're definitely a bright spot in RI's employment picture.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Republicans cater to corporations. Companies are flooding in to states such as Tennessee and Texas. The people are following them.

BTW, I am a libertarian

Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You seem to suffer from "That River In Egypt" syndrome.
OK, I was wrong. There is one bit of truth crammed into that endless rant of yours. That is that I DO blame the voters, 100%. I say that now, have said it in the past, and will say it again.

Who do you plan on supporting Alfie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island