Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times

Advertisements

Scroll through these proposals... Providence will be changing soon and dramatically.

195 Relocation Project | Greater City Providence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
It seems emphasis is being placed on where the "market' takes the development of the area. While it's probably good, it could be somewhat scary. My hope is that surface parking is a no-no even if the "market" likes it. I'm guessing the highest and best use of the waterfront is luxury residential high(er) rise buildings. A mixture of condo and rental. I know existing area residents want parks and public space uses they can enjoy and benefit from. But who pays for it and who pays to maintain it? All good questions.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Well, these are the people in charge of the Commission, a realtor, a doctor, a nurse, an artist, and an Indian.

A Closer Look at the New Commissioners - Providence Monthly

I guess we'll have to watch and see!

gawdhelpus

Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
It seems emphasis is being placed on where the "market' takes the development of the area. While it's probably good, it could be somewhat scary. My hope is that surface parking is a no-no even if the "market" likes it. I'm guessing the highest and best use of the waterfront is luxury residential high(er) rise buildings. A mixture of condo and rental. I know existing area residents want parks and public space uses they can enjoy and benefit from. But who pays for it and who pays to maintain it? All good questions.
I don't know that I disagree with you about parks. They aren't much used in the weekday, nights or in winter. It would be nice if the area is densely populated and mixed use. Otherwise it will be a ghost town. And the visage of endless parking spaces is a horror show in the making. With the Superman building vacant and so many empty storefronts downtown, perhaps new development should focus there, and let this area await better economic times for development.

I mean, land is land and it isn't perishable. Let's build on what we have existing, abundant infrastructure. Expanding the footprint of a population-stagnate city doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-04-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM

The waterfront is what brings development value. Waterfront urban real estate is some of the most valuable land in the world. The fact is many people, especially people with money, want to live on the water. In a perfect world, development would first take place where there is supporting infrastructure. But.....

Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Oh. Didn't know that overlooking a confluence of elevated highways and assorted appendages of "highway society" commanded a premium. I mean, we aren't talking about a view from Jersey of the Manhattan skyline and the Hudson River.

Then build away, but on the developer's dime, not the city's. We need every penny to preserve what we already have (yes, I'm talking about the unfortunate but needed tax gimmes to redevelop the Superman bldg, as painful as that will be).

I'm currently reading Jane Jacobs' "The Life and Death of American Cities" for like the 4th time -- the true bible for urban planning -- and from the proposals that I've read about this site, it will be a short term boom followed by great and enduring and irreversible regret.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-04-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I'm thinking the premium spots will overlook the water. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to stare at RI hospital from my balcony!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'm thinking the premium spots will overlook the water. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to stare at RI hospital from my balcony!
Bet you'd pay top dollar to overlook the ACI!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Oh. Didn't know that overlooking a confluence of elevated highways and assorted appendages of "highway society" commanded a premium. I mean, we aren't talking about a view from Jersey of the Manhattan skyline and the Hudson River.

Then build away, but on the developer's dime, not the city's. We need every penny to preserve what we already have (yes, I'm talking about the unfortunate but needed tax gimmes to redevelop the Superman bldg, as painful as that will be).

I'm currently reading Jane Jacobs' "The Life and Death of American Cities" for like the 4th time -- the true bible for urban planning -- and from the proposals that I've read about this site, it will be a short term boom followed by great and enduring and irreversible regret.
Once the utilities are buried, the view is down the Providence River. Jane Jacobs is a good read.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Once the utilities are buried, the view is down the Providence River. Jane Jacobs is a good read.
Good, so long ad city dollars aren't used.

Jacobs is great -- first read the book when I was 12 or 13 and it sparked my interest in living in Manhattan, though not the Village as I always felt at home in the village of the UWS, the true melting pot of Manhattan.

Avoid "The Walkable City." Just a total theft of Jacobs' work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island