Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's a pretty lame excuse for adding money to the general fund. Just because Chafee cannot turn a sinking ship around doesn't mean the state needs to sell itself to the potheads.

At least even the Mafia didn't get involved in drugs.
Yeah, they only got involved with harmless stuff like murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM

^Me neither.

The typical objection is that government says the money will go for something else - smoking cessation, let's say - but the funds up going into the general fund.

In this case, the government is telling us straight out, "We want to grab this tax revenue" and mass native is insisting they don't mean it, they really intend to give it away to rehab centers?

That makes no sense. Their only reason to make it legal is to tax it. if you look at what happens with cigarette tax revenue - why would you think it would go anywhere but the general fund?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's a pretty lame excuse for adding money to the general fund. Just because Chafee cannot turn a sinking ship around doesn't mean the state needs to sell itself to the potheads.

At least even the Mafia didn't get involved in drugs.
You're joking, right?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Sin taxes have always been popular for raising revenue. Marijuana is already decriminalized here. Why not sell it at a high price and make money?

I can certainly see the pros and cons.

Take alcohol, for example, do the taxes compensate for the cost of rehab and the death and destruction of traffic accidents caused by drunks?

What about havoc wreaked while stoned? Would we be encouraging widespread use of a drug that, although mild compared to other drugs, still affects the brain and lungs? What are the health consequences?
Would we make or lose money? Costs to society?

Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
In this case, the government is telling us straight out, "We want to grab this tax revenue" and mass native is insisting they don't mean it, they really intend to give it away to rehab centers?

That makes no sense. Their only reason to make it legal is to tax it. if you look at what happens with cigarette tax revenue - why would you think it would go anywhere but the general fund?
No that is not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that it will never fly for a politician to say: "We're gonna legalize drugs and take advantage of the "sick people", by siphoning their money into other government programs that should be properly funded in the first place". No leader in their right mind would say such a thing, even if we all know that is how things will play out in the end. He really shows his buffoonery and lack of common sense.

I am not going to debate this any further, this is getting stupid.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
You're joking, right?

No, I'm not joking; and I'm not talking about currently. They were into many other crimes, but drugs were taboo. As you may know, a very high percentage of Cosa Nostra were devout Roman Catholics. Uncle Ray P. is buried at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Prov. There may have been some drug activity by lower level members, but it was not an approved activity.

Let's not digress.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
You're joking, right?
Raider, a gangster would never lie. Would never sell drugs and would never lie about not selling drugs. Ok?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No that is not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that it will never fly for a politician to say: "We're gonna legalize drugs and take advantage of the "sick people", by siphoning their money into other government programs that should be properly funded in the first place". No leader in their right mind would say such a thing, even if we all know that is how things will play out in the end. He really shows his buffoonery and lack of common sense.

I am not going to debate this any further, this is getting stupid.
I wasn't aware you were debating. I'm just trying to understand your point and failing.

There are no sick people in this scenario and no one is taking their money. It's just an untapped revenue source.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
During the first month of recreational marijuana sales, Colorado's licensed dispensaries generated a total of more than $14 million, putting about $2 million of tax revenue into state coffers in the process.

The medical marijuana sales for January generated an additional $900,000 in sales tax, for a total tax revenue of $2.9 million for both sides of the state's marijuana dispensary market. Including fees, the figure jumps to $3.5 million.

Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) recently announced that he expects that the combined sales from both legal medical and recreational marijuana in the state will reach nearly $1 billion in the next fiscal year -- about $600 million of that is projected to come from just recreational sales. The state stands to collect at least $134 million in taxes and fees.

Colorado Recreational Weed Sales Top $14 Million In First Month

Et tu, Rhode Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island