Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't know why people assume that with more funding and more buses, that riders will all of a sudden come flocking...
Studies have shown that more frequent buses on key routes increase ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Studies have shown that more frequent buses on key routes increase ridership.
"Transit officials say they can increase ridership on Houston area buses and trains up to 25 percent by shifting resources from covering a broader area to offering faster trips to key spots."

I cannot access the article without paying, but I do not see anything about a "study" done (only what one transit authority "envisions"). They also didn't mention adding funding, only reallocating resources.

And that is Houston.

And this is RI...

Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
"Transit officials say they can increase ridership on Houston area buses and trains up to 25 percent by shifting resources from covering a broader area to offering faster trips to key spots."

I cannot access the article without paying, but I do not see anything about a "study" done (only what one transit authority "envisions"). They also didn't mention adding funding, only reallocating resources.

And that is Houston.

And this is RI...
And we're talking bus service which, as far as I know, unlike coffee syrup, is not confined to Rhode Island, dontchaknow.

And it's a study -- consultants were hired and typically consultants don't get paid for pulling figures out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonChronicle
Increasing the number of buses on key routes and running faster service in fewer places could increase ridership as much as 25 percent, consultant Geoff Carleton told a Metro committee Tuesday. Refocusing 90 percent of resources on ridership areas, would leave fewer than 2 percent of current riders without a bus stop within a half-mile of where they live, he said.

The new figures, Carleton said, show Metro will see greater ridership gains for less sacrifice than estimated when discussions started in September. By adjusting some bus lines and, essentially, redrawing all the routes, planners found they could cover more area than initially thought, while keeping bus service close enough to where more riders live.
And yes, you're quite correct -- it doesn't mention increasing funding, it's innovative in that the study finds that reallocating existing resources will achieve positive results.

Clearly you didn't dig very deeply to the second link. I'll reserve further comment until you do your research, except to say that what RIPTA needs are new riders, and, as the Houston study and the many others in the link I provided indicate, more frequent service makes taking public transit more attractive. Ergo, more new riders.

Read and report back with your thoughts, if so inclined.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
And we're talking bus service which, as far as I know, unlike coffee syrup, is not confined to Rhode Island, dontchaknow.

And it's a study -- consultants were hired and typically consultants don't get paid for pulling figures out of thin air.

And yes, you're quite correct -- it doesn't mention increasing funding, it's innovative in that the study finds that reallocating existing resources will achieve positive results.

Clearly you didn't dig very deeply to the second link. I'll reserve further comment until you do your research, except to say that what RIPTA needs are new riders, and, as the Houston study and the many others in the link I provided indicate, more frequent service makes taking public transit more attractive. Ergo, more new riders.

Read and report back with your thoughts, if so inclined.
I know how to use Google, please do not insult my intelligence like that. The top result in your linked "Google Search" is a study from one select city in Washington.

"More frequent bus service could drive transit ridership "

When talking about an already overtaxed state doling out even more for transit, "could" just doesn't cut it.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I know how to use Google, please do not insult my intelligence like that. The top result in your linked "Google Search" is a study from one select city in Washington.

"More frequent bus service could drive transit ridership "

When talking about an already overtaxed state doling out even more for transit, "could" just doesn't cut it.
Okay, I'm out of this "dialog" with you. From the time I posted my suggestion that you read further until the time you posted your reply, only ten minutes had elapsed. Clearly, you didn't dig very deep.

I want a discussion: you want an uninformed argument. Bye!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'm out of this "dialog" with you. From the time I posted my suggestion that you read further until the time you posted your reply, only ten minutes had elapsed. Clearly, you didn't dig very deep.

I want a discussion: you want an uninformed argument. Bye!
So I guess a discussion by your definition is to type: "More frequent bus service could drive transit ridership" into the Google bar and post the link to the results on this thread.

Yet I don't "dig deep" enough.

Come on dude...

Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Did Fung go to CPAC ? He's definitely of the Club for Growth (establishment)
Republican party wing. In my way of thinking, that wing of the party is not
going to bring any type of change worth having. Concerning RIPTA, I would
support an expansion of its domain along the lines of what the RIDE program
does, but not only for the disabled and seniors. For everyone. RIPTA doesn't
reach so many people who live off the bus lines. They need to have access
without walking miles to a bus route. There could be, say a dozen or so
shuttle lines added across the state which would expand on-demand access.
Reservations could be made in advance, opening up a taxi-like service. There
could also be on-demand party buses for late night and holiday service which
would reduce DUI violations.
Supposedly, they have this, but either it doesn't work in practice, or no one knows about it. I'm car-less this week, because my husband's car in in the shop and it's possible for me to take a bus to work, while his work isn't near a bus route. After he spent $50 a day taking a cab, I was searching for a solution for him, and came across this;

From the RIPTA site: "Flex Service, which is short for Flexible Service, offers passengers the option of calling a ride or picking up the Flex Vehicle at one of its regularly scheduled Flex Stops. The Flex Vehicle, typically a 16 passenger vehicle with space for two wheelchairs, travels within a geographically-limited zone known as a Flex Zone. Each Flex Zone represents a suburban or rural area that has little or no fixed-route bus service. The Flex Vehicle travels within the Flex Zone, picking up and dropping passengers off within the zone and connecting them to fixed-route bus service for travel outside the zone.

To use Flex Service, passengers either make a reservation 48 hours in advance or pick up the Flex Vehicle at any of the scheduled Flex Stops within the Flex Zone."

Now, I have no idea where these Flex Zones are, and have never seen a stop listed as flex zone! I can't figure out if this would be of any use to my husband, who can take a bus from where we live to Coventry, but would need transit to another part of Coventry that isn't covered by a route. I kind of get the feeling this wouldn't help, but just gave him my car rather than figure it out, LOL. I guess in theory, he could call a flex bus to his work to get to the bus route in Coventry, but I'm not really sure, or if it works both ways. Has anyone ever tried Flex service?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Some would argue that that's what taxis are for, but then, taxi service in PVD (and I suspect the rest of the state) is pretty spotty; radio dispatched cabs occasionally don't show up, or take forever. And good luck trying to get a cab at KP when it gets late, or when there's more than an inch of snow. And, once outside of the city, the fare really adds up.

But I agree that a RIDE-type service for everyone is a great idea. And the buses need to run more frequently, and later at night, especially, as you suggest, on the weekend.
I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about weekend service. I'm lucky enough to live on a bus route that has frequent service, but I don't necessarily get the logic behind their scheduling. And wow, it's even worse than I realized; I just checked my bus schedule for this post and they've cut it back a LOT this year.

I used to be able to take a bus downtown for Waterfire or whatever, but had to leave by 9. Now, I can't get downtown after 7:15 or come home after 7:35! That's pretty insane, particularly when they're running buses downtown on weeknights much after that. Considering how dependent our fair city is on the restaurant and entertainment industry, it's kind of crazy not to have transit available to either workers or restaurant goers.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about weekend service. I'm lucky enough to live on a bus route that has frequent service, but I don't necessarily get the logic behind their scheduling. And wow, it's even worse than I realized; I just checked my bus schedule for this post and they've cut it back a LOT this year.

I used to be able to take a bus downtown for Waterfire or whatever, but had to leave by 9. Now, I can't get downtown after 7:15 or come home after 7:35! That's pretty insane, particularly when they're running buses downtown on weeknights much after that. Considering how dependent our fair city is on the restaurant and entertainment industry, it's kind of crazy not to have transit available to either workers or restaurant goers.
Ridership is up in many American cities, and frequently during off-peak hours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
PHILADELPHIA — More Americans used buses, trains and subways in 2013 than in any year since 1956 as service improved, local economies grew and travelers increasingly sought alternatives to the automobile for trips within metropolitan areas, the American Public Transportation Association said in a report released on Monday.

The system is also being increasingly used during off-peak times, especially by younger people, who are encouraged by promotions like free transfers between subways and buses and by a decline in crime in the city, Mr. Ortiz said.

One of the challenges is simply getting people to try public transportation, Mr. Reed said, but when they do, “they find it is so much easier than they had feared.”
I wonder if the brain trust at RIPTA will get the message...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island