Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times

Advertisements

sandsonik, what are you talking about? Do you know? The knockout "game" is the name given by the blacks who commit this crime. This is about four black youths targeting an older white man and beating him to a pulp, for no other reason but pure enjoyment. This man wasn't robbed, he was attacked most likely because of his race. The trend of young black men attacking whites and Asians has become far more common over the past few years, and the media refuses to discuss it. Why? Most likely not to insight the masses. There are no stories of young black men attacking other blacks, only whites and Asians and these news stories have been numerous, and have picked up since the Zimmerman verdict. We watch the news, and hear stories of Clay Pell's missing Prius, or a little boy who had his hair cut at day care, but nothing about a violent attack against a very prominent renown professor. The fact that you're so defensive implies guilt by association. Also, do yourself a favor and proof read what you write, watch the grammar, you really sound ghetto.

Last edited by 9162; 03-12-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
sandsonik, what are you talking about? Do you know? This is about four black youths targeting an older white man and beating him to a pulp, for no other reason but pure enjoyment. This man wasn't robbed, he was attacked most likely because of his race. The trend of young black men attacking whites and Asians has become far more common over the past few years, and the media refuses to discuss it. Why? Most likely not to insight the masses. We hear stories of Clay Pell's missing Precis, or a little boy who had his hair cut at day care, but nothing about a violent attack against a very prominent renown professor. Also, do yourself a favor and proof read what you write, watch the grammar, you really sound ghetto.
*Prius

*renowned

Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,278 times
Fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear

Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,182,814 times
Quote:
This is about four black youths targeting an older white man and beating him to a pulp, for no other reason but pure enjoyment. This man wasn't robbed, he was attacked most likely because of his race.
That's an awfully presumptious "most likely". This happened on the east side, where the majority of people are white. If they agreed to target the next single man, the odds would favor him being white.

The journal article didn't identify the race of anyone involved, and the police haven't called it "the knockout game", so again I ask - why the preference for this term over "felony assault"?

That's my preference; I don't regard that sort of beating as a "game". What's the prize for that game? I guess it proves the saying, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes", but I doubt a prison term was the goal of the "game" for the "players".

Quote:
The trend of young black men attacking whites and Asians has become far more common over the past few years, and the media refuses to discuss it. Why? Most likely not to insight the masses.
The media refuses to cover it? Then how come we've both heard of it? Endlessly?

The media loves sensationalism, so I think you're crediting them with far too much restraint!

Quote:
There are no stories of young black men attacking other blacks, only whites and Asians and these news stories have been numerous, and have picked up since the Zimmerman verdict.
Are you kidding me? There are stories every day about young black men attacking other young black men. Black on black crime is way, way more common than black on white.

If the media you consume isn't covering that, maybe you need to question why that is.

I haven't noticed the stories picking up in relation to the Zimmerman verdict at but since you do, it would appear to contradict your statement that the media isn't carrying these stories. However, a lot of the stories and videos floating about now, are actually a couple years old and pre-date the Zimmerman verdict.

Quote:
We watch the news, and hear stories of Clay Pell's missing Prius, or a little boy who had his hair cut at day care, but nothing about a violent attack against a very prominent renown professor. The fact that you're so defensive implies guilt by association. Also, do yourself a favor and proof read what you write, watch the grammar, you really sound ghetto.
Thanks, but I think I'll skip grammar instruction from a person who thinks the media is trying to 'insight' the masses. Try having a discussion without resorting to personal insults. I was not defensive anywhere in my post, and as a 50 year old white female with no criminal record, I think we can rule me out as a suspect, hmmm? Guilt by association? You're something else. I don't associate with felons.

I'm just more skeptical than you about the hysteria over the supposedly wildly popular knockout game and I'm not the only one. (Particularly since the main media outlet publicizing the "craze" thrives on inciting fear) The rate of violent crime among young people has fallen by nearly two-thirds over the past two decades. According to the Department of Justice, the rate of violent victimization committed by strangers has been plummeting since the early 1990s. Yet we're to believe this game is enormously popular?

Everything I've read indicates that versions of the knockout game, with different names, have been around in pockets of the country, on and off, on a small scale, for decades. in 1992, the Boston Globe reported on a case in East Cambridge, Mass., in which several young men fatally stabbed an MIT student after playing "knockout." None of the principals in that story was black. The game may be real in some places, but it's also mythologized to be much bigger than it is, and it's easy to blame every random assault on this "game" after the fact.

"New York Times: "Police officials in several cities where such attacks have been reported said that the 'game' amounted to little more than an urban myth, and that the attacks in question might be nothing more than the sort of random assaults that have always occurred."

From St. Louis where it has been a problem in the past, no one who described the game in this article said the goal was to knock out a white person, and:

"All but two of the ten victims RFT interviewed were white (one was black and was Latino), and all of the players were black. But Knockout King does not appear to be bounded by race. Jason, from St. Louis County, says two white friends were part of his punch-out crew. One Dutchtown woman, agreeing to speak on the condition that her name not be published, says police caught her son, who is white, playing Knockout King two years ago, when he was sixteen. He and some friends had been hiding between buildings on Gravois Avenue, and he popped out to club a bicyclist who'd come rolling along.
"It's not a black thing, it's a kid thing," the woman says. "It's teenage kids trying to be cool. My son's as white as can be. He doesn't have a black bone in his body.""

Was it a game when Mark Wahlberg blinded that Vietnamese guy? Or when the white son of the Sanford police chief knocked out a black homeless man? Are those crimes less heinous somehow because they weren't named as part of a game?

It's stupid, angry kids committing felony assault to prove how tough they are, and there's nothing new under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: