Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times

Advertisements

As in 'Renaissance'. I don't know if anyone saw the Sunday Globe but they had an article on Providence in the travel section. What’s new in Providence - Travel - The Boston Globe , if you are a subscriber.

It was a very positive piece, about all the new businesses opening up in Providence every week, and all the attention the city has received for its restaurants.

Some new things I didn't know, and maybe you didn't either;

- The downtown residential rate has doubled in the past 10 years. I guess that's not that surprising when you think of how many large condo units have opened, but it's still a pretty eye opening stat, and one I doubt few places could replicate.
- The G is going to have the city's first restaurant and rooftop bar in the spring. I look forward to that.
- Scheduled to join Bolt Coffee Co in the Dean Hotel soon are Faust, a beer, bratwurst, and pretzel restaurant; the Magdalenae Room, a Euro-style lounge; and the Boom Box, modeled after Korean karaoke bars.
- Cornish Associates is developing The Aurora on Westminster Street, a venue for cultural activities, theater performances, jazz and DJ music, and dance nights.

I wish more attention were paid to the outlying neighborhoods, but I guess people wanting to live downtown can only benefit all of Providence. I guess if downtown fills up and gets pricey enough, people will have to look across 95, west and south. We'll gladly play Brooklyn to downtown's Manhattan, or the South End to Boston's back bay.

Also, I went to the travel show at Gillette this weekend and RI had several tables there, between Block Island, Newport, Providence, and RI. It struck me funny, because Worcester had a very sad, lonely table and I remember in 2000 how the mayor of Worcester was insistent that Cianci "cheated" on the Census and that Worcester was the bigger city. Maybe....but no one wants to actually go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
That is a turnaround for the Globe which usually does only puff pieces on the East Bay for tourism and has nothing but disdain for the rest of the state. How many times have they referred to us a "suburb of Boston"? So maybe finally we're beginning to get our due.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Thanks for that great, informative article! (I was able to read it without a subscription.)

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM

171 posts, read 308,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That is a turnaround for the Globe which usually does only puff pieces on the East Bay for tourism and has nothing but disdain for the rest of the state. How many times have they referred to us a "suburb of Boston"? So maybe finally we're beginning to get our due.
Wonder if that's due to the new ownership.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeStreet View Post
Wonder if that's due to the new ownership.
Hope so.

I was going to ask why anyone should care what that pathetic rag has to say on ANYTHING. It hasn't had any resemblance to reality in ages. But I haven't really paid much attention since the changeover occurred, so maybe Henry is doing good things around there (after 2 decades under the Evil Empire).

Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
As in 'Renaissance'. I don't know if anyone saw the Sunday Globe but they had an article on Providence in the travel section. What’s new in Providence - Travel - The Boston Globe , if you are a subscriber.

It was a very positive piece, about all the new businesses opening up in Providence every week, and all the attention the city has received for its restaurants.

Some new things I didn't know, and maybe you didn't either;

- The downtown residential rate has doubled in the past 10 years. I guess that's not that surprising when you think of how many large condo units have opened, but it's still a pretty eye opening stat, and one I doubt few places could replicate.
- The G is going to have the city's first restaurant and rooftop bar in the spring. I look forward to that.
- Scheduled to join Bolt Coffee Co in the Dean Hotel soon are Faust, a beer, bratwurst, and pretzel restaurant; the Magdalenae Room, a Euro-style lounge; and the Boom Box, modeled after Korean karaoke bars.
- Cornish Associates is developing The Aurora on Westminster Street, a venue for cultural activities, theater performances, jazz and DJ music, and dance nights.

I wish more attention were paid to the outlying neighborhoods, but I guess people wanting to live downtown can only benefit all of Providence. I guess if downtown fills up and gets pricey enough, people will have to look across 95, west and south. We'll gladly play Brooklyn to downtown's Manhattan, or the South End to Boston's back bay.

Also, I went to the travel show at Gillette this weekend and RI had several tables there, between Block Island, Newport, Providence, and RI. It struck me funny, because Worcester had a very sad, lonely table and I remember in 2000 how the mayor of Worcester was insistent that Cianci "cheated" on the Census and that Worcester was the bigger city. Maybe....but no one wants to actually go there.
Downtown, I think, is pretty hot and a great place to live. The renovation of the Biltmore garage really worked out quite well, in terms of street-level retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative
I was going to ask why anyone should care what that pathetic rag has to say on ANYTHING. It hasn't had any resemblance to reality in ages. But I haven't really paid much attention since the changeover occurred, so maybe Henry is doing good things around there (after 2 decades under the Evil Empire).
Uh, "Evil Empire?" Let me think, let me think... Oh! The New York Times, which has won 112 Pulitzer prizes, more than any newspaper in the nation (The Globe has won 20)! Of course, the radical, know-nuthin' right has always hated the paper, as The Times tends to spank their sagging behinds BEET RED!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
referring to Providence as the "Renaissance City" is
  • JUST
  • SO
  • 90's !

Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
The downtown area of Providence has been- and is still- progressing faster than the rest of the state.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
^It's pretty amazing really, in a state where the population has been somewhat stagnant, to see the population downtown double! I doubt there's another ward or district in the state that could say that.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Hey, if growth has to begin in an isolated fashion, I couldn't imagine a better place for it!

There aren't many places growing that much all over this nation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island