Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,799 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Providence this summer due to work and need some ideas of areas to look for apartments. First, I will be working in Cranston near Niantic Ave. Second, I don not drive and it is not an option due to my previous poor choices (please no lectures. I have learned my lesson) I have heard things about how the West Side of Providence is not so nice. Any advise on areas to look would be greatly appreciated. My budget is at 1450 at the high point. Looking at a 2 bedroom if possible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM

7,935 posts, read 4,594,169 times
Working on Niantic Avenue with no car will be a challenge. Probably the nearest apartments in a good area in your price range can be found in the Armory/West Broadway area or across the highway in Cranston. The good news is you have a reasonable budget for a nice one bedroom in the area. Two bedroom, not so much. They are available, but may be a bit rough.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,446,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atief83 View Post
I will be moving to Providence this summer due to work and need some ideas of areas to look for apartments. First, I will be working in Cranston near Niantic Ave. Second, I don not drive and it is not an option due to my previous poor choices (please no lectures. I have learned my lesson) I have heard things about how the West Side of Providence is not so nice. Any advise on areas to look would be greatly appreciated. My budget is at 1450 at the high point. Looking at a 2 bedroom if possible. Thanks

Do some research on finding an apartment in a good area on a bus route that will get you to work. Your budget up to $1450 for a 2 BR should work if you get further away from the City of Prov. RIPTA is the RI Public Transit Authority and has a website with schedules to compare with maps. Also ask your supervisor(s) or HR Department about housing suggestions. Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,550,088 times
Stick around either the VERY nearby Providence
end of Niantic Ave, the closer to Niantic Ave the better, OR in Cranston
very close to Reservoir/Pontiac. There are affordable places to live within a
bike ride's distance to your work. Cranston St also isn't bad.
Just draw about a 0-3 mile radius around where you work and
limit your search there.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,799 times
I had been looking on craigslist at Federal Hill and downtown. i live in Boston now (North End and work in Southie) So I am used to walking 2.5 miles on a nice day. I have just heard stuff about the area near niantic and how "ghetto" it is. I will be going down this weekend on the commuter rail just want to limit my area since I won't exactly be renting a car.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,050,404 times
If you'll be working in Niantic, living on Federal Hill or downtown Providence is not the smartest choice. Do what the above posters have said as far as places to live. You'd definitely be walking more than 2.5 miles each way if you lived on Fed Hill (or taking at least 2 buses) each way.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,113,305 times
You want to avoid Cranston Street and Huntington Ave near Niantic - and most of the streets to the right of the Cranston Street/Niantic intersection, unless you go much further down to the Armory neighborhood, or off Broadway. The problem in the West End is, it's tricky if you don't know the area because two streets might be ok, and the next two might not be. Or one street might be fine for a few blocks and then start to change...

If you head the other way up Niantic and cross the bridge over Route 10, that area is much better, IMO, and more consistent. Likewise, if you went down Niantic toward Cranston Street and took a left, you'll be ok on Laurel Hill Ave or some of the streets on the right side of Cranston St.

I would suggest you look into these apts or others in this neighborhood: 2 Bed townhouse style duplex, finished basement, updated kitchen Private Yard, Parking, Eat-in Kitchen, Storage, Firepit Space in Yard It's a perfect location for you to walk to work on Niantic, but it's a safe neighborhood and close to Reservoir Ave to hop a bus downtown. If you can find a roommate, there's a 4 bedroom house for rent for $1600 in the same neighborhood. Anything in that neighborhood on the east or south side of Spectacle pond is a reasonable walk to Niantic.

And there's no pictures on this one, but this is in a better neighborhood, Laurel Hill. If you can get there, you should really take a look around and see if you see any other apts for rent in this area. From Laurel Hill, you have good access to a few different bus lines and it's also close enough to walk or bike to work. Likewise, if you see any listings for "Reservoir" or "Reservoir Triangle", it's probably safe enough and close enough for you to consider.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I worked for six years in the office park on Niantic and live on the other side of Mashapaug Pond from there.

Last edited by sandsonik; 04-02-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: