Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 16,721 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to work at Rhode Island Hospital in June and I only have time off to visit potential apartments I lined up for viewing tomorrow.

If I end up moving to an apartment a few blocks next to the 'Hope Artiste Village' in Pawtucket - will it be a good area? Is it safe? Quiet? How is the commute to/from Rhode Island Hospital?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,422,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornloopy View Post
Hello,

I will be moving to work at Rhode Island Hospital in June and I only have time off to visit potential apartments I lined up for viewing tomorrow.

If I end up moving to an apartment a few blocks next to the 'Hope Artiste Village' in Pawtucket - will it be a good area? Is it safe? Quiet? How is the commute to/from Rhode Island Hospital?

Thanks!

Where is the Hope Artiste Village? Almost all my life in RI, never heard of it. Pawtucket in general is a very poor choice. What is your rent budget ? Bus or car?

Check out the nice apartments by DePasquale Realty in North Providence on Rt.7. They have several units in various buildings and are very nice, family owned and managed. Tanglewood is pretty much over 55, but they have other buildings for other age groups. Bus line, quiet, safe, good access to RIH. No children, no pets, very strict about that. Also online website by R. W. Realty.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 04-03-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 PM

4,215 posts, read 3,094,207 times
QC, the Hope Artiste Village is the location of the Met Café and the winter farmer's market, the old Hope webbing mill on Main St.

bornloopy, I'll let others who know Pawtucket better answer your question. It probably depends on how many blocks away and in which direction! QuilterChick doesn't like Pawtucket, but it's not all bad and the neighborhoods around East Ave just over the line from Providence's East Side are nice, IMO.

The commute from there (car?) wouldn't be hard. It's short, but a little problematic in that it's slightly north of downtown and the hospital is slightly south - so you'll always be in the worst part of the rush hour traffic on that short stretch of highway. So, aggravating, but short. If you're taking a bus, it's a good location in that you'd be near the 99 line, which runs very frequently. You'd have to switch at Kennedy Plaza to another line.

It sounds like you don't really have time to look around elsewhere, but if you do, there are a few more areas worth checking out.

The Eastern part of the East Side, Fox Point or Wayland area, puts you close to the Gano Street exit and then you're only a couple of miles from the Hospital. You could be there in 5-10 minutes. But the East Side is also the most expensive and most desirable part of the city and you don't mention your budget.

Another area that might be good would be Edgewood or Pawtuxet Village. They are both directly south of the Hospital in Cranston. If you're looking at a map, Broad Street and Narragansett Blvd are the main thoroughfares. Both neighborhoods are serviced by bus routes that would take you directly to the hospital without having to switch buses.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM

7,910 posts, read 4,570,720 times
Hope Artiste Village is the old Hope Webbing Company complex in Pawtucket converted into artesian manufacturing and retail spaces. Very creative and a great example of what can be done to repurpose Rhode Island's old mill buildings. If you're into the arts, check the area out. Otherwise, do look into the DePasquale apartments in N. Providence. Nice enough, if a bit conventional - available anywhere USA.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 PM

9,223 posts, read 14,776,802 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Outside of the Artiste Village which is very cool, I wouldn't touch this neighborhood with a 10 ft pole. Of course, if your tolerance is high for downtrodden working class tenements surrounded by chain link and the apt is cheap, maybe that is what you want. Come back and let us know what your thoughts!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 PM

12 posts, read 16,721 times
I posted a reply earlier but I'm not sure if it went through...

Thanks for the help guys! My budget is up to 1300 - I want to live in a comfortable "new" looking apartment (sick of rundown, depressing look of my cheap apartment at med school the last 4 years), but of course it'd be great to get an apartment that's below $900 so I can start attacking my med student loans.

Thanks for the comment on the commute - I will be driving, so it seems like it won't be longer than 15 min during rush hour to/from the hospital?

I have a couple other apartments lined up for viewing in East side of providence, but those are all 1100-1300 one bed. The apartment I'm likely to sign in Artiste Village (literally 2-3 blocks from the Met) is $900/one bed with new renovations/appliances...

Edit: I just trawled through DePasquale rentals (is that the lenox management website?). The only North Providence rental under $1300 looks decent, I'll definitely try to set up a viewing before I'm in providence tomrorow.

Last edited by bornloopy; 04-03-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
QC, the Hope Artiste Village is the location of the Met Café and the winter farmer's market, the old Hope webbing mill on Main St.

bornloopy, I'll let others who know Pawtucket better answer your question. It probably depends on how many blocks away and in which direction! QuilterChick doesn't like Pawtucket, but it's not all bad and the neighborhoods around East Ave just over the line from Providence's East Side are nice, IMO.

The commute from there (car?) wouldn't be hard. It's short, but a little problematic in that it's slightly north of downtown and the hospital is slightly south - so you'll always be in the worst part of the rush hour traffic on that short stretch of highway. So, aggravating, but short. If you're taking a bus, it's a good location in that you'd be near the 99 line, which runs very frequently. You'd have to switch at Kennedy Plaza to another line.

It sounds like you don't really have time to look around elsewhere, but if you do, there are a few more areas worth checking out.

The Eastern part of the East Side, Fox Point or Wayland area, puts you close to the Gano Street exit and then you're only a couple of miles from the Hospital. You could be there in 5-10 minutes. But the East Side is also the most expensive and most desirable part of the city and you don't mention your budget.

Another area that might be good would be Edgewood or Pawtuxet Village. They are both directly south of the Hospital in Cranston. If you're looking at a map, Broad Street and Narragansett Blvd are the main thoroughfares. Both neighborhoods are serviced by bus routes that would take you directly to the hospital without having to switch buses.

Au contraire -- and laughable. Quilter Chick is very knowledgeable about Pawtucket and all of RI. It is difficult for posters coming on CD for help to discern the positive or negative of some posters' frame of reference based merely on personal experiences of childhood. Pawtucket has changed for the worse over the years; there are many obvious "dividing lines" which are noticeable once the poster has an opportunity to make an informed decision.

Of course, if a poster retires to another state, on this forum -- they are immediately excommunicated for having an open mind, and giving knowledgeable recommendations.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I posted a reply earlier but I'm not sure if it went through...

Thanks for the help guys! My budget is up to 1300 - I want to live in a comfortable "new" looking apartment (sick of rundown, depressing look of my cheap apartment at med school the last 4 years), but of course it'd be great to get an apartment that's below $900 so I can start attacking my med student loans.

Thanks for the comment on the commute - I will be driving, so it seems like it won't be longer than 15 min during rush hour to/from the hospital?

I have a couple other apartments lined up for viewing in East side of providence, but those are all 1100-1300 one bed. The apartment I'm likely to sign in Artiste Village (literally 2-3 blocks from the Met) is $900/one bed with new renovations/appliances...

Edit: I just trawled through DePasquale rentals (is that the lenox management website?). The only North Providence rental under $1300 looks decent, I'll definitely try to set up a viewing before I'm in providence tomrorow.

No, it is not the Lenox Mngmt. website.

Here is the correct website: www.rwrealty.com RW Realty is owned by DePasquale Bros. Mngmnt. a family owned company.

Call early, many places are not open on Saturday; but I believe their office may be open on Saturday mornings. Nice safe area, apts. are meticulously kept up. Tenants well screened and many long term.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM

4,215 posts, read 3,094,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Au contraire -- and laughable. Quilter Chick is very knowledgeable about Pawtucket
I didn't say you weren't - I said you don't like Pawtucket, as you indicated in your own post telling her tthat Pawtucket was a poor choice.

Big difference. And I didn't disagree, I just said that I don't write the whole town off.

And yet you accuse me of being defensive. Pot, kettle. I never excommunicated you for having an open mind - I don't think you have a very open mind at all - but you have excoriated me numerous times for MY open mind and seem to be driven to try to silence people with opinions different than yours.

Oh, where is Alfie, and what have you done to him? LOL!

Last edited by sandsonik; 04-04-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I didn't say you weren't - I said you don't like Pawtucket, as you indicated in your own post telling her tthat Pawtucket was a poor choice.

Big difference. And I didn't disagree, I just said that I don't write the whole town off.

And yet you accuse me of being defensive. Pot, kettle. I never excommunicated you for having an open mind - I don't think you have a very open mind at all - but you have excoriated me numerous times for MY open mind and seem to be driven to try to silence people with opinions different than yours.

Oh, where is Alfie, and what have you done to him? LOL!

I recommend places to inquiring new posters based on whether or not the areas they inquire about are, or are not, suitable according to their question their budget and list of wants and needs. The professional Realtor side of me will always provide folks with meaningful and concise unbiased information. My rep points column is full of private thank you notes in appreciation of fair advice and recommendations of areas that resulted in several happy moves in RI and for a balanced approach to their question.

Personal "likes and dislikes" have nothing to do with giving objective and informed recommendations which is what C-D, a relocation forum, is all about.

If you go into a Friendly's Ice Cream store and ask for a cone of butter pecan, the waitress doesn't try to talk you into black raspberry because she doesn't like butter pecan.

Personal prejudices and biases have no place on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island