Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times

Advertisements

Great; three out of staters agree. What part did they live in?

There are parts of Pawtucket to avoid, just as there are parts of East Providence, Cumberland, and Seekonk to avoid. I don't think it's fair to advise someone to avoid an entire city of 70,000 people based on limited windshield experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The address of the country club is 900 Armistice Boulevard. It doesn't come close to bordering Central Avenue.

Countryside is a nice neighborhood, but it's small, isolated, and doesn't have much in walking distance. I don't know exactly what your definition of "truly nice" is (aside from it being the opposite of "diversified"), but according to Zillow, Oak Hill is currently more expensive.

That is right, I meant to say Armistice Blvd. It borders Newman Av. in Seekonk. Countryside is a very nice neighborhood, popular because in Pawtucket terms, it is more "countrified"; therefore, the name.

It was "country" over there when that part of Pawtucket was developed. My family settled in "Pinecrest" which is a subdivision in Darlington; you could also say there are no pines there except what homeowners planted. The nicer parts of Darlington are very few now, except those areas closer to the Seekonk line.

Children were safe walking to school (St. Leo's, St. Theresa's, JC Potter, Cottage St. School, Goff and even Tolman) in/from Darlington and parts of Pawtucket. Today, no way.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, it is named the "Pawtucket Country Club", and it borders the Ten Mile River in Pawtucket; and its address is "Central Ave" in Pawtucket. The golf course borders a short space on Newman Ave. in Seekonk, MA.

There is a nice older subdivision across from the Pawtucket Country Club and is known as "Countryside". Years ago it was "known" to be where the executives, lawyers, physicians and so forth resided and belonged to the Club; many homes were passed down by generation. It is still the only truly nice area in Pawtucket, on the border area of Seekonk, MA.
Actually, it wasn't Pawtucket Country Club, it was Hillside in Rehoboth.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Great; three out of staters agree. What part did they live in?
See, that's what we don't know. If the person who is inquiring is also from out of state, then they are likely to have the same impression. People who live in a place for a long time get immune to it. Happens everywhere.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
See, that's what we don't know. If the person who is inquiring is also from out of state, then they are likely to have the same impression. People who live in a place for a long time get immune to it. Happens everywhere.
I think it is true that people do become accustomed to a place though I think the term you use, immune, tends to imply there is some sort of disease. Is that really what you mean?

I know when I first arrived in Somerville, MA, I did not like most of it. Over time, I did grow to appreciate parts of it. When I go back now, I can see how I adapted to the city. That's what people who evolve do. When I go back, I do recognize some of those first impressions I had many years ago. By the same token, by returning to the city I also notice some of the many positive changes.

With regard to Pawtucket and people coming from out of state: when some of my friends moved from Somerville to Providence, I came down and explored. My initial impressions of Oak Hill were highly favorable and I really liked how close it was to the East Side of Providence. In fact we looked for a house there, for a time. I didn't end up in Oak Hill, and only go there occasionally, so I am not "conditioned" to it. I still think it is a good neighborhood.

Last edited by ormari; 03-19-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Actually, it wasn't Pawtucket Country Club, it was Hillside in Rehoboth.

What "wasn't" PCC. Don't know what post you are referring to ? Pls explain.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM

^see post #73.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think it is true that people do become accustomed to a place though I think the term you use, immune, tends to imply there is some sort of disease. Is that really what you mean?

I know when I first arrived in Somerville, MA, I did not like most of it. Over time, I did grow to appreciate parts of it. When I go back now, I can see how I adapted to the city. That's what people who evolve do. When I go back, I do recognize some of those first impressions I had many years ago. By the same token, by returning to the city I also notice some of the many positive changes.

With regard to Pawtucket: when some of my friends moved from Somerville to Providence, I came down and explored. My initial impressions of Oak Hill were highly favorable and I really liked how close it was to the East Side of Providence. In fact we looked for a house there, for a time. I didn't end up in Oak Hill, and only go there occasionally, so I am not "conditioned" to it. I still think it is a good neighborhood.
By "immune" I mean that you get so used to the blight you no longer really notice it.

Yeah, I think Somerville is a dump. I was upset when my oldest and her husband bought a condo there. Luckily they were able to sell it without losing money because the city is gentrifying. Still ugly, though.

I don't know anything about Oak Hill which I mentioned before. It might be nice.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Hardly a level of experience that someone looking to move here should take as advice. Immediately along Division Street, Prospect Street, or North Bend Street are sketchy, but the neighborhood between the stadium and the hospital is fine. I have a close family friend who lives near Pond Street and Rhode Island Avenue and has never considered it unsafe or in decline. And yes, there is a country club in Pawtucket (off Armistice Boulevard near the Seekonk line).

And FYI ormari, I was replying to THIS ^^^ post. mp775 was referring to Pawtucket Country Club.

(Hillside in Rehoboth has nothing to do with that. Casey B. in a different post said she attended a function at Rehoboth CC, but did not quote her post.)

Have a great day, carry on.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
And FYI ormari, I was replying to THIS ^^^ post. mp775 was referring to Pawtucket Country Club.

(Hillside in Rehoboth has nothing to do with that. Casey B. in a different post said she attended a function at Rehoboth CC, but did not quote her post.)

Have a great day, carry on.
Yes, I understand how the thread evolved. That's why I chimed it to clarify it for you, per your request in post #86.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island