Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 AM

43 posts, read 32,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Bite your tongue. I am a native who doesn't indulge in endless negativity and whining. I can look at that poll objectively and think it's sad that 17% think we're the worst state, but encouraged that more believe we are one of the best states. I guess if you are only ever looking for bad news you wouldn't see beyond the first stat. Some yearn to see their unhappiness justified by statistics, and nothing bugs them more than the fact that others are not equally unhappy.
Why are your positive opinions and experiences more valid than someone's negative opinions and experiences? Some people like it here, some people don't. They both have valid opinions and the right to express them. Often when I am making a major purchase or planning a major move, it's the negative
opinions that really allow me to take pause and look at the place with a more critical eye than I would
have otherwise.
Many of you have absolutely NO trouble slamming other places of the country, like the comments about Montana and Wyoming. I realize that wasn't you but you didn't exactly protest either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
the fact remains that there are people (mostly non-natives) on this forum who are not open to comments that paint RI in a less than stellar context and otherwise continuously challenge anyone who presents a different, non-glowing opinion on a situation. To me, if I were here for a first time question, I'd be much more "scared" that anyone who comments on RI in a negative light or otherwise has a different opinion than what is considered "acceptable" may be subject to attack and/or made to not feel welcomed here. Not to mention it would make me question as a newbie if I were truly getting complete and accurate facts and not just watered-down information that portrayed RI in glowing terms.
Amen! Well said!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:47 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
If somehow there could be an immediate disclaimer on negative posters saying something like: "I used to live here and didn't like it - so I have left. But, for some reason or other I am compelled to participate in this forum. Here's what I think."

This way the inquiring poster with the question would know, early on, the negative response was not coming from a resident actually living in the state now real time - full time.

I find the often negative views of the "Used to live in RI, but now only visit" group interesting and at times informative, but if I were here for a first time question, it might be a bit scary and cause me to bail from the conversation early .
There are some of us who will always be "Rhode Islanders". I started participating in this forum while I still lived in RI (and had for over 12 years). It was only 10 months ago that I decided to relocate West. And that was solely due to weather. (I know, I'm a New Englander, so I was supposed to winter in Florida, but I can't stand humidity and bugs, so Nevada it is).

We still travel back and forth to Rhode Island every few months to visit with friends. My wife still runs fund raisers for her charity back in Rhode Island, so yes, we have a vested interest.

I don't think someone in my situation, intimately familiar with the state I JUST left, and lived in for over a decade, should not have a right to pipe up every now and then.

There are those who post who have been in the state for less than a year. Does a recent arrival has as much insight as a recent departee?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
There are those who post who have been in the state for less than a year. Does a recent arrival has as much insight as a recent departee?
According to the majority here, yes (more like more).

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Just saw this on Facebook (where I get all of my news) LOL.. seems to coincide with the poll that people REALLY hate Illinois..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...round-you?bffb

Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiller594 View Post
Why are your positive opinions and experiences more valid than someone's negative opinions and experiences? Some people like it here, some people don't. They both have valid opinions and the right to express them. Often when I am making a major purchase or planning a major move, it's the negative
opinions that really allow me to take pause and look at the place with a more critical eye than I would
have otherwise.
Many of you have absolutely NO trouble slamming other places of the country, like the comments about Montana and Wyoming. I realize that wasn't you but you didn't exactly protest either.
I never said my opinion was the only valid one; i was refuting the stAtement that all "natives" felt a particular way. Ive never understood why being born here should give anyone more creedence than those who choose too live here as an adult anyway....but i was been and raised here .

Don't know anything about Montana, always wanted to go there but i saw no reason to interject myself into someone else fight. They were doing just fine without my help.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:58 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiller594 View Post
You've just unintentionally hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY the problem with the culture in Rhode Island! I see it every time I am there. Negative to a fault! The glass is always half empty, people are angry, in a big hurry and terribly impatient. It's not a big surprise that the poll reflects this.

Unintentionally? I don't say anything unintentionally.
But I don't understand is why you keep beating the same horse. You've stated your opinion- what 14 or 15 times now- on the topic. One would think that you don't want anyone to have a different opinion.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM

367 posts, read 545,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I never said my opinion was the only valid one; i was refuting the stAtement that all "natives" felt a particular way. Ive never understood why being born here should give anyone more creedence than those who choose too live here as an adult anyway....but i was been and raised here.

I didn't say that all natives felt a particular way; I merely commented that the majority of individuals who seemingly refuse to tolerate any negative statements about RI happen not to be originally from the state. I certainly am not saying that "natives" should have any more "credence" than someone else, but I do find it interesting that for the most part, the biggest champions of this state aren't even from here.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I didn't say that all natives felt a particular way; I merely commented that the majority of individuals who seemingly refuse to tolerate any negative statements about RI happen not to be originally from the state. I certainly am not saying that "natives" should have any more "credence" than someone else, but I do find it interesting that for the most part, the biggest champions of this state aren't even from here.
That non-natives, living here now, hold positive views about Rhode Island may be because they've been around a bit and understand what a terrific place it is to live (weather aside) compared to much of the rest of the country. That doesn't mean they're blind to serious problems needing to be addressed here. That doesn't mean they think RI is governed well. It isn't. But, it does mean outsiders bring a fresh prospective that shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant just because they weren't born in a Rhode Island hospital.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Unintentionally? I don't say anything unintentionally.
But I don't understand is why you keep beating the same horse. You've stated your opinion- what 14 or 15 times now- on the topic. One would think that you don't want anyone to have a different opinion.
I said unintentionally because you've essentially validated the results of the poll by admitting that RI'ers are negative to a fault.
I kept "beating a dead horse" as you put it because my opinion kept getting challenged or insulted by people like rnrboy or others so I simply reiterated it. I have no problem whatsoever with other people having different opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island