Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times

Advertisements

No, see my posts are in the state where I reside. If you look at other forums, I have barely any posts.

Let me make this simple for you:

I admit (as I already have multiple times) that at one out of six, Rhode Island has the second highest amount of grumpy people. (Even though the OP couldn't even get that right in the title of this thread!)

Now: Are 5 out of 6 people in Rhode Island either fine or better than fine here? Do you accept the veracity of that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM

43 posts, read 32,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Now: Are 5 out of 6 people in Rhode Island either fine or better than fine here? Do you accept the veracity of that statement?
The statement is irrelevant. It was a N A T I O N W I D E poll! Out of fifty states, RI was at the bottom with the exception of Illinois for one category.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM

Yes or No. How is it irrelevant how Rhode Islanders feel about their own state? You must not live here, so I guess it's irrelevant to you. But if you didn't notice, this is a Rhode Island forum, so forgive me if I thought it might be relevant to dig a little deeper into the numbers to see how many of us is "the second highest in the country". And as it turns out, it's not much.

If we were near the bottom, but 70% of us hated it here, would it then suddenly become relevant? I know if I had read the particulars of the study (which you clearly didn't), I would be a lot more worried if a vast majority of Rhode Islanders hated it here, rather than one in six.

So if you read an article about your state, and it said it had the second-most pessimistic people in the entire N-A-T-I-O-N - you could care less what the percentage was? And you would feel no relief when you found out the overall number was pretty insignificant? What if they had the most Democrats? But it was still only one out of six? haha

You're being obtuse.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 04-28-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
If we were near the bottom, but 70% of us hated it here, would it then suddenly become relevant?
No. What matters is that of a N A T I O N W I D E polling of our 50 states, RI ranked at the bottom in their opinion of their home state.

Quote:
I know if I had read the particulars of the study (which you clearly didn't), I would be a lot more worried if a vast majority of Rhode Islanders hated it here, rather than one in six.
and yet, despite your arrogant, condescending attitude, the reality is that out of fifty states, save for Illinois, Rhode Islanders hate their home state more than any others do.

Quote:
You're being obtuse.
No. You are. It's a N A T I O N W I D E polling of our 50 states that RI ranked dead last for all categories save one. It is NOT a Rhode Island poll. You are either too stupid to realize that you are deliberately avoiding
it because it doesn't fit with your rose colored opinion of the place.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Let's be honest, over the internet either of us could be construed as arrogant and condescending.

According to you, it can't both be true that we are the second most grumpy, and that the grumpy contingent within the state isn't much. Despite the fact that even Gallup acknowledges this. I guess you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

And forgive me if, as a Rhode Islander, I care what percentage of people are unhappy here. If Gallup thought it wasn't important, they wouldn't have bothered to publish the numbers. You clearly are happy with wherever you live (snicker), so why do you care?

OK here goes: POOR ME! STUCK IN RHODE ISLAND! OH WOE IS ME.

There, are we done now?

Last edited by Rnrboy; 04-28-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
According to you, it can't both be true that we are the second most grumpy, and that the grumpy contingent within the state isn't much. Despite the fact that even Gallup acknowledges this. I guess you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
I never said that both could not be true. Twist your own words, please, not mine. I said that the poll was a N A T I O N W I D E poll, not a Rhode Island poll. Out of fifty states, in self opinion, RI ranked dead last, save for Illinois in one of the questions.
I guess you can't think and type and the same time.

Quote:
You clearly are happy with wherever you live (snicker)
Right back atcha.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM

I'm sorry, what kind of poll was it? I didn't quite catch that.

Can you understand why I might be concerned about what percentage of my state is unhappy? Can you comprehend that?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Boys, boys, for heaven's sakes! The Gallup organization robot dials 600 people. Envision who you think actually answers their phone and answers their questions? I spend most of my phone time fending off telemarketers, screening calls, and activating call block. But honestly, a lot of people are perfectly happy to vent and complain. Are we supposed to draw the conclusion that the vast majority of RIers are miserable here? C'mon really?

Isn't it also ironic that the same posters who spent their time twisting the poll about Providence being a top rated city into something negative are the same ones arguing the same way in this thread? Automatic disagreement with a positive poll and automatic agreement with a negative poll. Some people are only happy when they're attempting to find compadres in their personal misery. Now do you see the pattern? Hmmmm.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Are we supposed to draw the conclusion that the vast majority of RIers are miserable here? C'mon really?
Nope. Just one out of six. The other five out of six are fine - but we're supposed to feel bad about it because liberals.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Nope. Just one out of six. The other five out of six are fine - but we're supposed to feel bad about it because liberals.
And those darn, backwards, conservative, hick, "cow-shaggers" up in cow towns in places like Montana and Wyoming! How DARE they have a positive self opinion of their home state. The arrogance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island