Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Montanans, Alaskans Say States Among Top Places to Live

"When asked to rate their state as a place to live, three in four Montanans (77%) and Alaskans (77%) say their state is the best or one of the best places to live. Residents of Rhode Island (18%) and Illinois (19%) are the least likely to praise their states."

"Residents with the most pride in their state as a place to live generally boast a greater standard of living, higher trust in state government, and less resentment toward the amount they pay in state taxes."

I think this negativity echoes what we see here in this forum. What do you think is going on in li'l Rhody? Is it the persistent high unemployment? Or is it just in the air, or something else maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Was waiting for you to post this. It must have been like cat nip haha

But here's the nugget of rationale buried in the Gallup poll (cuz I already read this hours ago):

17% of Rhode Islanders actually described the state as the worst possible to live in

So what does that mean? That means that the people who talk about how "Rhode Island is the worst state ever", who seem to represent about 40 percent or so of this forum, only actually make up about one in six Rhode Islanders. One in six! That means five out of six do not think this is the worst state ever. Which means you're in the minority, despite the fact that you and a few others keep trying to convince everyone on this forum that you are actually some Nixonian "Silent Majority." (Sidenote: Nixon's way too liberal for you....) Simply put: Most Rhode Island bashers have never left the state, and have no tangible experience to serve as a basis for comparison. I have observed this blatantly as an initial outsider who has been able to settle in here now for 10 years. One in six Rhode Islanders think we have the worst crime, the worst corruption, and the worst weather. The thing is, that doesn't actually make it true. This was not a fact-based poll, it was an opinion poll. It shows Rhode Islanders can be a bellicose lot. But it doesn't show any objective reality. No more so, anyway, than 2003 polls did when the majority of Americans believed Saddam was behind 9/11.

Now, there's no denying that some Rhode Islanders are clearly not enthused about where they live. But no one ever denied that. In fact, the "cheerleaders" on here have consistently pointed out again and again that it seems to be the Natives, many of whom have never left New England, that are the most down on our state. The newcomers recognize it for the potential gem it could be, and the gem-like qualities it already harbors.

Furthermore I don't think it's altogether telling if certain states that many would consider redneck "****holes" are all like "Yeehaw we're the best!" They thought the Iraq war was the best. They thought Bush was the best. What can I say? Rhode Island marches to the beat of a different drum. Whenever friends or family visit me here from Florida (don't know where they ranked, but obviously ahead of us), they're jealous. They want to be here. Either the cold weather (my family) or their jobs (my friends) keeps them anchored where they are. And that's OK. You won't find me in the Florida forum bitterly bashing the place I grew up. Sure, I'll throw a few zingers from here, but no need to bash them on their own turf.

The bottom line? This poll demonstrates that, on the margins, less Rhode Islanders think we're the greatest than in other states, and one in six think we're the worst. The broad swathe, the bulk of folks, are somewhere in the middle; sensational headline or no. I happen to think we are the greatest in terms of potential, but what can I say, unlike one in six Rhode Islanders - I've actually traveled quite a bit and don't get my news from WPRO haha.

Speaking of which, I also think it's bizarre that people spend night after night bashing a place they don't even live. What could possibly bring such a fixated devotion to an entirely useless activity? Either you've been scarred for life (and if that's the case I'm sorry), or deep down you actually miss the place.

I'm also not going to waste my time questioning why Massachusetts finished number 6 in state pride, even though it has way more shortfalls IMHO than Rhody.

At the end the day, I just love it here. And for me, that's all that matters. And thank goodness for that.

Now I suggest you go freeze your ass off in Montana, but I warn you: Rhode Island has waaaay better internet speed and a lot more to do.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 04-24-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Was waiting for you to post this. It must have been like cat nip haha

But here's the nugget of rationale buried in the Gallup poll (cuz I already read this hours ago):

17% of Rhode Islanders actually described the state as the worst possible to live in

So what does that mean? That means that the people who talk about how "Rhode Island is the worst state ever", who seem to represent about 40 percent or so of this forum, only actually make up about one in six Rhode Islanders. One in six! That means five out of six do not think this is the worst state ever. Which means you're in the minority, despite the fact that you and a few others keep trying to convince everyone on this forum that you are actually some Nixonian "Silent Majority." (Sidenote: Nixon's way too liberal for you....) Simply put: Most Rhode Island bashers have never left the state, and have no tangible experience to serve as a basis for comparison. I have observed this blatantly as an initial outsider who has been able to settle in here now for 10 years. One in six Rhode Islanders think we have the worst crime, the worst corruption, and the worst weather. The thing is, that doesn't actually make it true. This was not a fact-based poll, it was an opinion poll. It shows Rhode Islanders can be a bellicose lot. But it doesn't show any objective reality. No more so, anyway, than 2003 polls did when the majority of Americans believed Saddam was behind 9/11.

Now, there's no denying that Rhode Islanders are clearly not enthused about where they live. But no one ever denied that. In fact, the "cheerleaders" on here have consistently pointed out again and again that it seems to be the Natives, many of whom have never left New England, that are the most down on our state. The newcomers recognize it for the potential gem it could be, and the gem-like qualities it already harbors.

Furthermore I don't think it's altogether telling if certain states that many would consider redneck "****holes" are all like "Yeehaw we're the best!" They thought the Iraq war was the best. They thought Bush was the best. What can I say? Rhode Island marches to the beat of a different drum. Whenever friends or family visit me here from Florida (don't know where they ranked, but obviously ahead of us), they're jealous. They want to be here. Either the cold weather (my family) or their jobs (my friends) keeps them anchored where they are. And that's OK. You won't find me in the Florida forum bitterly bashing the place I grew up. Sure, I'll throw a few zingers from here, but no need to bash them on their own turf.

The bottom line? This poll demonstrates that on the margins less Rhode Islanders think we're the greatest than in other states, and one in six think we're the worst. The broad swathe, the bulk of folks are somewhere in the middle, sensational headline or no. I happen to think we are the greatest in terms of potential, but what can I say, unlike one in six Rhode Islanders - I've actually traveled quite a bit and don't get my news from WPRO haha.

Speaking of which, I also think it's bizarre that people spend night after night bashing a place they don't even live. What could possibly bring such a fixated devotion to an entirely useless activity? Either you've been scarred for life (and if that's the case I'm sorry), or deep down you actually miss the place.

I'm also not going to waste my time questioning why Massachusetts finished number 6 in state pride, even though it has way more shortfalls IMHO than Rhody.

At the end the day, I just love it here. And for me, that's all that matters. And thank goodness for that.

Now I suggest you go freeze your ass off in Montana, but I warn you: Rhode Island has waaaay better internet speed and a lot more to do.

Unfortunately, you refuse or lack the ability to interpret polls with an open mind. (Gallup is very well respected in polling). All this defensiveness could be "Small State Syndrome", kinda' like Short Man Syndrome. Huffing and puffing, and beating the pulp out of yourself in an attempt to standout in the crowd.

The polled natives know better. And, PS: the poll was not about CD posters.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM

When did I contradict the poll? You obviously didn't read (or at least comprehend) my post since not once did I dispute any of the poll's findings.

My entire post was completely based on it! Please people: Reading comprehension matters here.

But you (as per usual) didn't dispute anything I said. Basically you posted "Nuh, uh".

Try again when you have gathered your stamina.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM

I just realized: According to the poll, more Rhode Islanders think this is the best place to live, than think this is the worst. Ever so slight, but still more:

18% of Rhode Islanders described Rhode Island as the best or one of the best places to live

It's a bombastic headline, but far more nuanced when you actually take the time to examine it instead of reflexively serving a bitter agenda.

And isn't it paradoxical that the places that deem themselves the best to live in (Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, Utah) have no one living there? haha Come on, you can't tell me that isn't amusing!

Finally: Here's where I'll dispute the poll somewhat: The sample size was only 600 residents! And even if a state had a large population, the sample size was the same! Hell; I could interview 600 residents in Woonsocket and come to the conclusion Rhode Island was horrible. Think I'd get the same result in Barrington or East Greenwich?

And over a third of West Virginians think their state is the best! Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not exactly the destination Rhode Island is. But yeah, if you like polluted drinking water and exploited miners, West Virginia rules!

OK, you got me. This poll actually is somewhat flawed, but even so, it still says a slight majority of Rhode Islanders still think we're the best.

18 percent we rule, 17 percent we suck, 65% we're somewhere in the middle.

And for that, I thank you for posting this.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 04-24-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Montanans, Alaskans Say States Among Top Places to Live

"Residents of Rhode Island (18%) and Illinois (19%) are the least likely to praise their states."
They probably got tired of being ridiculed by the loud grumps. The squeaky wheels.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Good to see all the mature discussion this thread has brought on. As a non-RIer, let me ask again. Why do you think RIers are the least likely to praise their state (in relative to other states)?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

Well, as my other posts indicated, I'm thinking of buying in Providence, but the above should be no surprise. Excellent public education system (1-3 depending on criteria in the Nation), good economy, good paying jobs. Lovely main city and beautiful Western part of the state.

And you can get fantastic data from polling 600 people. We don't know if this was a well conducted poll, but good study design and quality questions can get highly significant and accurate results in a poll of 600. Gallup generally does a very good job in their poll design and execution by most accounts. I'm actually surprised they had a sample size that large. Their margin of error and confidence level is excellent, no reason to question the results statistically.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Good to see all the mature discussion this thread has brought on. As a non-RIer, let me ask again. Why do you think RIers are the least likely to praise their state (in relative to other states)?
Because they are too modest. That's my final answer quiz master.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM

17 posts, read 30,399 times
Default Love RI

I can't understand why all the negativity about RI. Our family is moving back in June. Great people, nice beaches, close to everything.
We love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island