Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Looks like the South Street Power Station which was to be developed as Heritage Harbor Museum is going to be developed as a joint URI/RIC nursing school. It's time the building was put to good use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Looks like the South Street Power Station which was to be developed as Heritage Harbor Museum is going to be developed as a joint URI/RIC nursing school. It's time the building was put to good use.
Is a nursing school the highest and best use for such a monumental structure? I guess so.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 AM

I suppose the schools think so or they wouldn't be doing this. It would be well positioned near RIH and Hasbro. This should increase their payments in lieu of taxes one hopes. Too bad Heritage Harbor won't fly but that was a huge dream.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
I suppose the schools think so or they wouldn't be doing this. It would be well positioned near RIH and Hasbro. This should increase their payments in lieu of taxes one hopes. Too bad Heritage Harbor won't fly but that was a huge dream.
The loss of a Smithsonian associated museum is sad.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
The issue I have with this is that WE, the PEOPLE........voted for a museum!!!

I realize we voted some time ago; however, the people spoke.

And in the long run, it didn't matter.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
"What's that wonderful building with those huge smoke stacks?" "Oh, that's a nursing school." I can hear the visitor's conversation now! :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The issue I have with this is that WE, the PEOPLE........voted for a museum!!!

I realize we voted some time ago; however, the people spoke.

And in the long run, it didn't matter.
We the people couldn't raise the millions it would take to convert an old structure into modern museum space. I'm surprised that anyone would be criticizing this move at all. It is reuse of an old building by higher ed. The only thing better would be some private company that would pay more taxes.

This will also become part of the whole redevelopment project going on with the I195 project. This is going to change the face of the city.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
We the people couldn't raise the millions it would take to convert an old structure into modern museum space. I'm surprised that anyone would be criticizing this move at all. It is reuse of an old building by higher ed. The only thing better would be some private company that would pay more taxes.

This will also become part of the whole redevelopment project going on with the I195 project. This is going to change the face of the city.
Tell me.. what do we need with a nursing school? Local nurses with 15+ years experience can't get 40 hrs/week.

BTW - we, the people voted for the Bonds to develop the museum.

But what we wind up with is a nursing school co-owned by two well-endowed (especially Brown) PRIVATE schools - who, as it is - don't contribute enough in PILOT to the city.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Ummmm..... RIC and URI are state schools. The outlook for certain nurses is good and CCRI can not keep up with the demand.

I share your disappointment in not getting a museum, but I just can't can't fathom how people on this board complain about the state going broke and pensions going unfunded and then want to spend big money on a huge museum which has only the barest chance of breaking even let alone not making any money. At least a nursing school would make tuition and attract students from the region.

Perhaps you'd rather the building remain vacant?

In a flush state- sure why not have a big museum. RI can't have it both ways.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Perhaps it will attract quality teachers, and that's a good thing. My wife is in nursing school. She started her prerequisites at CCRI and carried a 4.0 GPA. She was not excepted to the program because there were people who had lower GPAs, but missed the cut due to lack of instructors. It's a very good school, and some of her professors also taught concurrently at Brown and RIC. There just aren't enough of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island