Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:18 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm not having this argument with you. I'm asking you kindly that if you can't leave politics out the discussion altogether, then please be more respectful of others than to assume they vote the way they do because they're stupid or ignorant.

(And your personal experience at the polls is irrelevant because you've never been to the polls in RI. )
How ridiculous. Virtually every post of yours directed at me is baiting for an argument. I was simply disagreeing with your point about the "lever". That you respond by falsely portraying what I had said (as though I ever said that ALL people I disagree with are "low information"), suggests that you have conceded the debate to me. It is a common tactic you have borrowed from a certain current and another past poster, and it is getting annoying.

And why the heck would I leave politics out of this!!?. This is not your thread. And going with the topic of improving RI, well so far everyone has agreed that the #1 problem is state governance. And yet politics are supposed to be left out of this discussion?

Whether they agree with me or not, there are huge numbers of low-information-voters in EVERY state. I don't have to vote in RI to know that. RI has more than its share of closed minded "party voters". If it didn't, you would see a greater balance of power without the same kind of permanent grip one party has.
You know it, I know you are smarter than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
suggests that you have conceded the debate to me.
Please feed your ego elsewhere. This thread is not about who concedes a debate to whom. It is not even a debate. There is no winner and no prize (unfortunately).

It is about reasoned suggestions as to what would improve the state of Rhode Island.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
This thread is not about who concedes a debate to whom. It is not even a debate. There is no winner and no prize (unfortunately).
Thank you. Of course it didn't start out as a debate. But as usual in this forum, a differing of opinions will result in a personal attack. Rather that state why they disagree (or even better stay within the original topic), some posters will turn it into a poster vs. poster (rather than idea vs. idea). One of the ideas floated to "make RI a better place" was to kill the master lever at the polls (and actually praised by yourself). Just a thought, no need to jump all over that person. Don't support it, well come out with a better plan. But nooooo....she goes and makes attacks on the Republican Party (yet I get accused of injecting politics into this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It is about reasoned suggestions as to what would improve the state of Rhode Island.
Again, you're barking up the wrong tree...

Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Notice- I am no longer responding to certain whining posters.

There is something else I think would be a really good idea. Re-open the welcome center we used to have on I95. It seems a no brainer in terms of giving tourists the information they need for visiting.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM

367 posts, read 545,524 times
I like the idea of the Welcome Center as well! In fact, I think it would be great if RI truly focused on promoting its tourism assets better than it currently does as it would be a great boost to its economy. It has so much to offer visitors in terms of historical sites, cultural places of interest, etc, but it seems like it doesn't market itself as well as other New England states and as a result is overlooked as a potential tourist destination for many people, particularly outside of New England and the northeast. Case in point: one of my friends here in the Twin Cities is planning on taking a trip to New England this fall (she's never been to the East Coast), and she had Boston, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Maine on her itinerary. It didn't even dawn on her to consider visiting RI! I talked to her about checking out Providence and Newport and she has since added these cities to her agenda, but the point is that RI should market itself better to the rest of the country. How come people in other parts of the US all know about the beaches of Cape Cod but not the equally beautiful coastline of Newport or South County?

If RI could better champion itself to the rest of the country as a great destination, I think more people would spend their tourism dollars there. Not only would it be great to capture the revenue currently lost to other places (like Massachusetts), but it would promote greater visibility of RI overall, particularly to those folks who know nothing about it other than the fact that it's the smallest state.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Bring back Bess Eaton.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I like the idea of the Welcome Center as well! In fact, I think it would be great if RI truly focused on promoting its tourism assets better than it currently does as it would be a great boost to its economy. It has so much to offer visitors in terms of historical sites, cultural places of interest, etc, but it seems like it doesn't market itself as well as other New England states and as a result is overlooked as a potential tourist destination for many people, particularly outside of New England and the northeast. Case in point: one of my friends here in the Twin Cities is planning on taking a trip to New England this fall (she's never been to the East Coast), and she had Boston, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Maine on her itinerary. It didn't even dawn on her to consider visiting RI! I talked to her about checking out Providence and Newport and she has since added these cities to her agenda, but the point is that RI should market itself better to the rest of the country. How come people in other parts of the US all know about the beaches of Cape Cod but not the equally beautiful coastline of Newport or South County?

If RI could better champion itself to the rest of the country as a great destination, I think more people would spend their tourism dollars there. Not only would it be great to capture the revenue currently lost to other places (like Massachusetts), but it would promote greater visibility of RI overall, particularly to those folks who know nothing about it other than the fact that it's the smallest state.
Many people in the rest of the country think RI is part of New York. We have no national advertising or visibility except in terms of being used as a measurement- "an iceberg the size of Rhode Island", etc.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
I like the rest area idea also with perhaps a few tidbits of food, clam cakes, chowder, stuffies, eclipse, Johnny Cakes and Del's which are pretty unique to our state. Just one or two.......nothing elaborate.

For my friends and family still living in RI I would like to see new company's (helping existing also) which would bring in both blue and white collar jobs.

Sore subject.............but the money spent on 38 Studios could have seeded a lot of small business's.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I read somewhere not too long ago that Rhode Island spends less money on promoting tourism than any other state. That's right -- dead last. Less than Kansas, less than Nebraska, less than Mississippi, less than everybody. I really do think that's a huge mistake, considering I feel like I'm on vacation here every weekend.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:11 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Tourism here seems divided into fiefdoms like everything else in Rhode Island. Newport, Providence, South County and the Blackstone Valley all doing their own things like separate states. A shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island