Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You know, it's a conundrum. Mussolini allegedly made the trains run on time but he was an appalling person. John Lindsey, from what I've read about the former NY mayor, was a sterling person of unimpeachable moral standards and conduct, but he was a horrible, horrible mayor.

I just want someone to get some momentum, some velocity, some real progress ripping though this city like an EF5 tornado and who will advance the hidden treasure that is Providence (yes, it's already a great city, but we can do better). I see so much potential for this unspeakably gorgeous city, and I get so frustrated that no progress, none, is being made.

So, if you had the choice of someone who could run the trains brilliantly but was a horrible person, versus an affable, morally upright guy who couldn't manage a mid-sized snow storm, who would you choose?

Buddy is not a horrible person. Give him a call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,195,009 times
It's kind of sad that he can't think of anything he'd rather do at this stage of his life.

I think we now have 10 candidates for mayor. I guess we're cursed to live in interesting times!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I still don't know how a felon with multiple convictions can run for office. I thought they couldn't even vote!
Whether or not felons can vote is decided by each state. I'm almost positive that when Buddy was convicted the first time and ran the second time, he couldn't vote for himself. RI barred felons from voting but didn't bar them from running for office.

RI has since changed the rules on felons voting.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Buddy is not a horrible person. Give him a call.
LOL! Look, I thought your hair would go afire by my comparing him to Mussolini, the great war criminal and Axis Partner during WWII! I got off easy with just calling him horrible, I guess!

QC, the man assaulted a man with a lit cigarette. He sold city jobs to the highest bidder, he shook-down companies to get campaign contributions. And he was convicted of racketeering conspiracy and tried, convicted, and served time as a felon.

What does "horrible mean?" Dictionary.com says it's something "extremely bad or unpleasant." Now, maybe we live by different moral compasses, but his outrageous transgressions and illegal activity seem to be both "Extremely bad" and "unpleasant."

And no, I'm not giving him a call. Nobody "calls" anymore, Get me his smartphone number and I'll text him.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
LOL! Look, I thought your hair would go afire by my comparing him to Mussolini, the great war criminal and Axis Partner during WWII! I got off easy with just calling him horrible, I guess!

QC, the man assaulted a man with a lit cigarette. He sold city jobs to the highest bidder, he shook-down companies to get campaign contributions. And he was convicted of racketeering conspiracy and tried, convicted, and served time as a felon.

What does "horrible mean?" Dictionary.com says it's something "extremely bad or unpleasant." Now, maybe we live by different moral compasses, but his outrageous transgressions and illegal activity seem to be both "Extremely bad" and "unpleasant."
He was definitely entertaining, and I never saw a politician with a quicker comeback or a better sense of humor. But if it were her tax dollars paying to rent buildings we didn't need to rent, and at inflated prices, in exchange for campaign donations - she might have a different opinion.

There are a lot of people whose company I enjoy but who I won't let handle my money. Apples and oranges.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-25-2014 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
He was definitely entertaining, and I never saw a politician with a quicker comeback or a better sense of humor. But if it were her tax dollars paying to rent buildings we didn't need to rent, and at inflated prices, in exchange for campaign donations - she might have a different opinion.
But, you know, one cannot ignore the man was elected and re-elected for over twenty years. Someone in PVD liked him. But in her defense: the state is so darned small that Providence seems like "everybody's" city and that they can speak as if it's their city, as if they have a claim, a "say," which is to say a vote. But they don't, and it isn't their city. But of course everyone is due their right to have an opinion, but not a vote, not a "say."

Quote:
There are a lot of people whose company I enjoy but who I won't let handle my money. Apples and oranges.
Um, you can trust me with all of your money. Honest.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-25-2014 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
At least Paolino isn't running again.. crooked AND couldn't get anything done.. Unless he IS running.. haven't checked the updated list this hour

Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
That is true -- the poster never lived in Providence and likely saw Cianci in a different light than the citizens of Providence who lived here during Cianci's era. But, you know, one cannot ignore the man was elected and re-elected for over twenty years. Someone in PVD liked him. But in her defense: the state is so darned small that Providence seems like "everybody's" city and that they can speak as if it's their city, as if they have a claim, a "say," which is to say a vote. But they don't, and it isn't their city. But of course everyone is due their right to have an opinion, but not a vote, not a "say."

Um, you can trust me with all of your money. Honest.
I liked him. So I'm not disputing his popularity. But a.) actions have consequences, and one doesn't keep getting do-overs and b.) It's probably better to move forward than re-visit the past and c.) I think he's too old for the job.

I will feel torn about it, but he's like the brilliant kid with the drug problem that it's time to show some tough love to. Because you love him, you don't enable him anymore.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I liked him. So I'm not disputing his popularity. But a.) actions have consequences, and one doesn't keep getting do-overs and b.) It's probably better to move forward than re-visit the past and c.) I think he's too old for the job.

I will feel torn about it, but he's like the brilliant kid with the drug problem that it's time to show some tough love to. Because you love him, you don't enable him anymore.
And that's the conundrum, as Alfie put it. Who is a better candidate, in terms of ability to get things done? Does anyone who is running have a track record of actually MAKING changes rather than TALKING about changes?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
At least Paolino isn't running again.. crooked AND couldn't get anything done.. Unless he IS running.. haven't checked the updated list this hour
Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island