Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times

Advertisements

I think these negative posits about politicians regarding their personal failings are a bit harsh and in the end irrelevant. That any public people are under a revealing microscope should make us all feel fortunate we're not there with them. The purity seeming to be required of our leaders here is unrealistic. Leaders like Cianci, are just humans with sometimes spectacularly failed private lives. Be thankful if your private life has been a success and hold the stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I think these negative posits about politicians regarding their personal failings are a bit harsh and in the end irrelevant. That any public people are under a revealing microscope should make us all feel fortunate we're not there with them. The purity seeming to be required of our leaders here is unrealistic. Leaders like Cianci, are just humans with sometimes spectacularly failed private lives. Be thankful if your private life has been a success and hold the stones.
It's not his spectacularly failed private life that concerns me. It's the failings of his public life - and in some areas they intertwine, such as the misuse of the police force to accomplish his personal goals, or when he crossed to the wrong side of the law.

Buddy's defense against the racketeering charges is that he surrounded himself with people on the take, but that he didn't know they were on the take.

I see that more as an indictment than a defense. His administrations were spectacularly scandal ridden and full of cronyism. If we're naïve enough to believe he knew nothing, we still must accept that Buddy was a bad judge of character, and a bad manager. I want Providence to move forward, not back to the days of no-show public works jobs and kickbacks. I still don't hear anything from Buddy that sounds like he "gets" it, so I can't hold out any hope that the third time will be different.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
It's not his spectacularly failed private life that concerns me. It's the failings of his public life - and in some areas they intertwine, such as the misuse of the police force to accomplish his personal goals, or when he crossed to the wrong side of the law.

Buddy's defense against the racketeering charges is that he surrounded himself with people on the take, but that he didn't know they were on the take.

I see that more as an indictment than a defense. His administrations were spectacularly scandal ridden and full of cronyism. If we're naïve enough to believe he knew nothing, we still must accept that Buddy was a bad judge of character, and a bad manager. I want Providence to move forward, not back to the days of no-show public works jobs and kickbacks. I still don't hear anything from Buddy that sounds like he "gets" it, so I can't hold out any hope that the third time will be different.
I agree with much of this. What I don't agree with is the comingling of a public figure's private failings and the much more important public corruption and judgements. They are entirely different issues. Many of our greatest male leaders had miserable private lives. They were horrible, untrustworthy husbands. Watching PBS this week, Franklin Roosevelt comes to mind (not to elevate Cianci - just one example, of many).

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I agree with much of this. What I don't agree with is the comingling of a public figure's private failings and the much more important public corruption and judgements. They are entirely different issues. Many of our greatest male leaders had miserable private lives. They were horrible, untrustworthy husbands. Watching PBS this week, Franklin Roosevelt comes to mind (not to elevate Cianci - just one example, of many).

^^^ Yes. And how many would vote again for Bill Clinton, brushing off his past transgressions -- and his impeachment? Evidently his political and private issues have been brushed off. A bridge quite far from President of the most powerful country on earth to a small city Mayor. Many will vote for Hillary just to get Slick Willy back in the White House. Two proven cheaters and liars for the price of one; and more scandal to come.

Not intending to go off topic here, but isn't it odd how many cannot see the big picture. Is it Buddy Cianci's "fooling around"; his wife's "fooling around", or that he took it out on someone he thought was his best friend. Or is it just that some people can't see the forest for the trees.

Have a great day everyone, this topic has become boring.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
word on the street that Cianci is picking up support.
do not be surprised if he wins.
the machine is operating.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:46 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
word on the street that Cianci is picking up support.
do not be surprised if he wins.
the machine is operating.
I won't be surprised but the machine is exactly what scares me. What is the machine offering in exchange for support?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I won't be surprised but the machine is exactly what scares me. What is the machine offering in exchange for support?
a better city.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How many would vote again for Bill Clinton, brushing off his past transgressions -- and his impeachment?
As a staunch democrat, I supported Obama in 2008 largely because I did *not* want Clinton drama back in the White House.

Quote:
Is it Buddy Cianci's "fooling around"; his wife's "fooling around", or that he took it out on someone he thought was his best friend.
I don't want Buddy mostly due to the corruption and mismanagement he's displayed -- or the utter inability to choose trustworthy people to work for him, if you prefer.

To the extent the earlier conviction matters, I don't really care about the cheating. The issue is that he committed a violent assault upon someone (the motivation for the assault is irrelevant if it was anything but immediate self-defense). And that he misused public employees to help him carry out that violent felony. Both of which are big red lines against a public servant. Misusing the police actually an even bigger issue for me than the assault itself in terms of his fitness to be mayor.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
And that he misused public employees to help him carry out that violent felony. Both of which are big red lines against a public servant. Misusing the police actually an even bigger issue for me than the assault itself in terms of his fitness to be mayor.
ALLEGEDLY

Are you disagreeing with the court findings?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
As a staunch democrat, I supported Obama in 2008 largely because I did *not* want Clinton drama back in the White House.

I don't want Buddy mostly due to the corruption and mismanagement he's displayed -- or the utter inability to choose trustworthy people to work for him, if you prefer.

To the extent the earlier conviction matters, I don't really care about the cheating. The issue is that he committed a violent assault upon someone (the motivation for the assault is irrelevant if it was anything but immediate self-defense). And that he misused public employees to help him carry out that violent felony. Both of which are big red lines against a public servant. Misusing the police actually an even bigger issue for me than the assault itself in terms of his fitness to be mayor.

Read "Clinton, Inc." Misuse of everything, and possible a murder that may never be proven. It is a fact by Hillary's own admission, that she had a rip roaring affair with Vince Foster.

As others have said, and as my family and native RI and some Providence friends weigh the Buddy matter, that the devil you know is better than one you don't know. To do what is best for Providence would be their choice, and we are all Independents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island