Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 PM

369 posts, read 555,121 times

Advertisements

What is East Providence like? As I'm looking at different properties, I see they don't necessarily list the city but the directional aspect of it? Should I be looking at East vs West, etc?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,134,480 times
To address some of your questions:

I like Cranston. Much of it is kind of a suburban wasteland, but I like it. By that, I don't mean it's unsafe -- it's quite safe. I mean it's got a lot of ugly strips of midscale retail with side streets full of tract housing. And it's got parts that are great. I live in Pawtuxet Village, a 17th-century fishing village that's half in Cranston and half in Warwick -- I'm on the Warwick side, but I can walk to the Cranston border in 90 seconds. The aforementioned condo building is in Edgewood, which borders Providence and is, I think, a great neighborhood (though I've seen posts here that disagree, for the record). It has, as you know, beautiful waterfront property, and it also borders Roger Williams Park, Providence's largest public park.

One great thing about Cranston is how central it is. It's right on top of Providence, and you can also easily jet off to any part of the state. This is why even though I've really been taken by other parts of the state, I find it hard to imagine moving too far away. The shopping is great. Cranston has its own Whole Foods -- one of only three in Rhode Island; the other two are in Providence -- which is part of a terrific and large upscale shopping complex called Garden City (not to be confused with Chapel View, an even-more-upscale shopping complex across the street). That Trader Joe's in Warwick is easily reachable. A lot of people around here like Dave's, a small Rhode Island supermarket chain, but I find it pales in comparison to Whole Foods. In any event, the plus side of the "suburban wasteland" thing is that pretty much anything you'd ever need is close by.

I think you'll find that compared to DC, Rhode Island has somewhat cooler summers and somewhat colder winters. It definitely gets hot during the summer, as you may find this weekend. But that's why there are so many beaches. This winter was pretty bad, but it was also an anomaly, as it was everywhere. Actually, we've got the mildest winters in New England, I hear. I've only been here during the Winter From Hell, but I can tell you there was certainly lots of snow.

There is so much stuff to do here, especially during the summer months. I feel like I'm on vacation every weekend. Tomorrow I'm planning on going to an art festival in Wickford, which is an adorable waterfront village in the southern part of the state, then continuing on to the beach in Narragansett. I probably won't go, but tomorrow night is WaterFire, where thousands of people come out to see bonfires lit on the river downtown as atmospheric music plays. Are you going to be here tomorrow night? If so, I think it would be unwise to miss WaterFire -- it doesn't happen every weekend, though it happens, on average, every few weeks during the warmer months. Yesterday there was a jazz jam session in the park a block from my house in the Village, which was a nice coda to last weekend's Bluegrass on the Pawtuxet festival. There's always lots going on.

Regarding East Providence: I've spent little time there -- seems like a dense, working-class inner-ring suburb with a large Portuguese population -- but I can tell you this, if you don't know already. There's a tricky distinction between "East Providence" and "the East Side of Providence." The former is the suburb I just described, whereas the latter is a section of Providence proper. It's generally considered the best part of the city and is made up of a number of neighborhoods, one of which is College Hill, where that condo I posted is located. Mount Hope is considered by many to be undesirable, but the rest of the East Side is great. Because of the existence of the suburb, which borders the East Side, nobody here ever says "East Providence" when talking about the East Side.

Last edited by boulevardofdef; 07-11-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Wow, thank you so much for all that info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I like Cranston. Much of it is kind of a suburban wasteland, but I like it. By that, I don't mean it's unsafe -- it's quite safe. I mean it's got a lot of ugly strips of midscale retail with side streets full of tract housing. And it's got parts that are great. I live in Pawtuxet Village, a 17th-century fishing village that's half in Cranston and half in Warwick -- I'm on the Warwick side, but I can walk to the Cranston border in 90 seconds. The aforementioned condo building is in Edgewood, which borders Providence and is, I think, a great neighborhood (though I've seen posts here that disagree, for the record). It has, as you know, beautiful waterfront property, and it also borders Roger Williams Park, Providence's largest public park.
I've been looking at properties around Warwick and tried to find places near Pawtuxet Village - but I'm not sure where exactly to find these properties. I've found some in the the Art District downtown (not Pawtuxet Village, I know), but then I look at photos and it looks so..lonely though the building interior looks really nice (10 Exchange Court). I've also seen some lofts online in Bayley Street Lofts which look amazing inside but the views look a bit...desolate? I suppose I'd have to drive everywhere from the latter two locations because they're not exactly walkable (except maybe to the library).

I'm actually going to view that College Hill property you linked me to, so thanks so much for that. The agent said she might have a few other properties for me, but I find that many decent places for sale are by owner only. We'll see how it goes.
Quote:
One great thing about Cranston is how central it is. It's right on top of Providence, and you can also easily jet off to any part of the state. This is why even though I've really been taken by other parts of the state, I find it hard to imagine moving too far away. The shopping is great. Cranston has its own Whole Foods -- one of only three in Rhode Island; the other two are in Providence -- which is part of a terrific and large upscale shopping complex called Garden City (not to be confused with Chapel View, an even-more-upscale shopping complex across the street). That Trader Joe's in Warwick is easily reachable. A lot of people around here like Dave's, a small Rhode Island supermarket chain, but I find it pales in comparison to Whole Foods. In any event, the plus side of the "suburban wasteland" thing is that pretty much anything you'd ever need is close by.
I did actually just discover Dave's website today! I liked the look of the store, but there are things I buy on a regular basis that I'll need to get from places like WF's and TJ's, so it's good to know they're so accessible.
Quote:
I think you'll find that compared to DC, Rhode Island has somewhat cooler summers and somewhat colder winters. It definitely gets hot during the summer, as you may find this weekend.
Really? God, and I'm trying to escape the heat! How's the humidity level?
Quote:
But that's why there are so many beaches. This winter was pretty bad, but it was also an anomaly, as it was everywhere. Actually, we've got the mildest winters in New England, I hear. I've only been here during the Winter From Hell, but I can tell you there was certainly lots of snow.
I don't mind winters, as long as I don't have to plow snow on a daily basis. I love the cold. I was in DC in Feb 2014 and it snowed and completely buried my car, and I was excited. Coming from Southern CA after so long, it's a novelty. Maybe it'll wear off in time.
Quote:
There is so much stuff to do here, especially during the summer months. I feel like I'm on vacation every weekend. Tomorrow I'm planning on going to an art festival in Wickford, which is an adorable waterfront village in the southern part of the state, then continuing on to the beach in Narragansett. I probably won't go, but tomorrow night is WaterFire, where thousands of people come out to see bonfires lit on the river downtown as atmospheric music plays. Are you going to be here tomorrow night? If so, I think it would be unwise to miss WaterFire -- it doesn't happen every weekend, though it happens, on average, every few weeks during the warmer months. Yesterday there was a jazz jam session in the park a block from my house in the Village, which was a nice coda to last weekend's Bluegrass on the Pawtuxet festival. There's always lots going on.
This all sounds like fun. Now I'm wondering what people do during the winter?
Quote:
Regarding East Providence: I've spent little time there -- seems like a dense, working-class inner-ring suburb with a large Portuguese population -- but I can tell you this, if you don't know already. There's a tricky distinction between "East Providence" and "the East Side of Providence." The former is the suburb I just described, whereas the latter is a section of Providence proper. It's generally considered the best part of the city and is made up of a number of neighborhoods, one of which is College Hill, where that condo I posted is located. Mount Hope is considered by many to be undesirable, but the rest of the East Side is great. Because of the existence of the suburb, which borders the East Side, nobody here ever says "East Providence" when talking about the East Side.
Ahhh, this is very good to know! I can't distinguish between the areas yet. So I want to look at East Side Providence, not East Providence. Got it.

The agent asked me what areas I'm looking into and I couldn't really say because I don't know that area well. Now I can add East Side Providence to her list.

Thank you!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM

7,903 posts, read 4,565,251 times
If you're interested in seeing the condos at Rosedale Landing on your visit call realtor Ken Schadegg, Lila Delman Real Estate @ 401.447.1740.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
If you're interested in seeing the condos at Rosedale Landing on your visit call realtor Ken Schadegg, Lila Delman Real Estate @ 401.447.1740.
I emailed them earlier today and didn't hear back, but my agent said she'd reached out to them as well. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow morning, I'll call them tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for that!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM

7,903 posts, read 4,565,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
I emailed them earlier today and didn't hear back, but my agent said she'd reached out to them as well. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow morning, I'll call them tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for that!
Best to email Ken directly @ ken.schadegg@liladelman.com

Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Best to email Ken directly @ ken.schadegg@liladelman.com
Thanks, I'll do it now.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,134,480 times
Quote:
I've been looking at properties around Warwick and tried to find places near Pawtuxet Village - but I'm not sure where exactly to find these properties. I've found some in the the Art District downtown (not Pawtuxet Village, I know), but then I look at photos and it looks so..lonely though the building interior looks really nice (10 Exchange Court). I've also seen some lofts online in Bayley Street Lofts which look amazing inside but the views look a bit...desolate? I suppose I'd have to drive everywhere from the latter two locations because they're not exactly walkable (except maybe to the library).
Oh, I see your problem: You're looking at Pawtucket, not Pawtuxet. Pawtucket is a separate city just north of Providence. It has a not-insignificant art community and I guess it has its fans, but I, uh, have not been impressed. It's nicknamed "the bucket," by the way. It's one of those places that has potential, and you'd probably like it if you're a pioneer type, but given that "low crime" was a big point for you, I'm guessing not!

Quote:
Really? God, and I'm trying to escape the heat! How's the humidity level?
Well, y'know, it's not really any hotter than most other places in the North -- if you want cooler summers, you'll have to go up to Maine or the Upper Midwest or the Pacific Northwest or something. See how comfortable you are when you visit. I can't speak for humidity, because honestly, I don't really notice things like that.

And you're very welcome! I'd love to hear what you thought.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Oh, I see your problem: You're looking at Pawtucket, not Pawtuxet. Pawtucket is a separate city just north of Providence. It has a not-insignificant art community and I guess it has its fans, but I, uh, have not been impressed. It's nicknamed "the bucket," by the way. It's one of those places that has potential, and you'd probably like it if you're a pioneer type, but given that "low crime" was a big point for you, I'm guessing not!
Yea, you guessed correctly. lol I do want a low crime area, and if those lofts are not in such a location, then I'll pass. I wasn't sure if Pawtuxet Village was in Pawtucket or not (why do they do that?? ) but I couldn't find places listed in Pawtuxet Village. Should I be looking in Warwick to be near P. Village?
Quote:
Well, y'know, it's not really any hotter than most other places in the North -- if you want cooler summers, you'll have to go up to Maine or the Upper Midwest or the Pacific Northwest or something. See how comfortable you are when you visit. I can't speak for humidity, because honestly, I don't really notice things like that.
Lucky you. Coming from the Southwest, DC is disgustingly humid (though the mugginess factor is well known). I'll see how it is in RI when I visit.
Quote:
And you're very welcome! I'd love to hear what you thought.
Sure thing. I'll post about it after I've viewed the property.

Last edited by HoliWood; 07-11-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 AM

9,218 posts, read 14,770,809 times
East Providence is not to be overlooked- not necessarily for the OP, but in general. The Riverside and Rumford sections are quite nice, near parks and water, and offer a less expensive alternative to the East Side. Houses in these areas offer close access to the East Side and are comparable to suburban areas in Warwick and Cranston. There are also a number of Modern (for RI) apt complexes, of which the East Side has very few. if you looked at EP, Boulevard, you might have just have seen the downtown core. There is much more to the small city. Try going down Veteran's Memorial Parkway and see if your impression changes. Or drive over to Rumford which is on the Seekonk line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island