Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM

23,211 posts, read 18,366,504 times

Advertisements

This is the beginning of the end, as I see it.

Providence Journal to be acquired by New Media Investment Group in $46-million deal | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,042,917 times
why?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,454,528 times
This is too funny. When I clicked on the link provided by MassNative, I got a pop up from the ProJo saying that ". . . my 10 viewings of Providence Journal articles have been met". "Sign up for the digital edition, etc."

Don't think so. Can read this discussion for free. Newspapers all over the country are in deep doo doo.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,119,641 times
The end was when Belo bought the Journal and started closing offices. We're way past the end.

Anything done now is either irrelevant or an improvement, IMO.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM

Gatehouse has a history of destroying papers, or at the very least speeding up the rate of destruction. It is never good news when they acquire ANYONE.

You say it can't get worse, just wait...

Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM

Belo has the same reputation - and they were faithful to it. The paper became truly awful under them, and they made the worst decisions at every turn.

I didn't think anyone was still reading the Journal, so it's hard for me to imagine what "worse" could be. Its destruction would be a relief at this point and would free its reporters to work for real news outlets, while sparing a few trees.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Belo has the same reputation - and they were faithful to it. The paper became truly awful under them, and they made the worst decisions at every turn.

I didn't think anyone was still reading the Journal, so it's hard for me to imagine what "worse" could be. Its destruction would be a relief at this point and would free its reporters to work for real news outlets, while sparing a few trees.
What real news outlets would they be going to, might I ask? Who else covers local news for the area?

Don't even say the TV news because they are as bad or worse than the Journal.

Once these papers are gone, they are gone.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Most people I know are reading their town newspapers, or going to the Patch or golocal, and relying on the internet and television for their national news.

The Journal closed all their local offices long ago, anyway. People need their local papers to find out what's going on with the town council or school committee meetings, because the Journal stopped covering it. The next step was realizing they didn't need the Journal at all. When the Sunday paper got to $3, contained mostly AP re-writes and was thinner than the daily used to be, that's not a hard decision!

I also think it was a misstep to stop printing the Evening Bulletin. Side note - when I was a kid, I delivered the Bulletin and most people in Coventry got the Bulletin, not the Journal. They weren't riding the subway or a bus, where a morning paper fits into your day and makes sense. They were driving to work and reading the paper when they got home and had the time to read it, and getting fresher news for it. And you know what? It's a lot easier to cancel delivery of a paper if you've never even met your pre-dawn delivery person and pay the ProJo directly.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Most people I know are reading their town newspapers, or going to the Patch or golocal, and relying on the internet and television for their national news.
That's my whole point. What if you want information on the election for governor? Who is doing all the investagatory reporting for RI now? What if I want the latest scoop on the PawSox or the Friars from a decent sports journalist?

GoLocal, Patch, really??? I think it's a very dangerous thing that there is no strong publication covering Providence and the RI area. The local papers serve value, but they just don't have the resources to fry the "big fish". And those guys have diminished as well. I remember when the Pawtucket Times was actually a fairly thick local daily. Now, does it even still exist? Last I saw it, was basically an advertising flyer.

As for the evening vs. morning thing, it seems like more people read the news while they are at work on their break or whatever. Few people have or make the time to read it when they get home at the end of the day imho.

Last edited by massnative71; 07-24-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,552,790 times
Did you notice that Belo is holding on to the landmark building
on Fountain Street and the parking lot ?
thats where the value is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island