Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
you might injoy this! Especially in conjuntion with a train ride

Green Animals Topiary Garden | Newport Mansions
Thanks. I did see the mansions many years ago. Interesting but very ostentatious. Of course that was the general idea at the time.

I never got to see the Green Animals--still on the bucket list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 AM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Carr's Pond and Carbunkle Pond are my favorite fresh water swimming spots. Particularly Carr's Pond - it's a hike in, and except for one small beach, access is tricky, but the water is so deep and cool. Often you practically have it to yourself, and I just love watching the hawks and other birds while I'm floating my cares away...

You mentioned Beach Pond. Did they ever re-open that beach? I haven't been there in ages.

I'm open for other fresh water swimming suggestions as well....
Funny you mention that as I was looking on the site about swimming and it mentioned everything else but that.

What happened that caused it to close? Did it reopen.?

Each summer when we come back we try to take the twins to different places in RI and we run out of time, the swimming hole or pond that my dad used to take us in Arcadia is one of them.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM

657 posts, read 802,520 times
Gotta love Rhode Island, got family there, so visit often, can't wait for my next visit.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
OP, I guess you haven't been to Block Island yet? Not only is it my favorite place in RI, but probably all of New England. Give Block Island and a bicycle on a warm sunny summer day and I can forget about the world and live in the moment. Not very many places have that effect on me. I love going to Block Island (beautiful ferry ride) and hate to leave the place.
Good call -- I haven't been there. The main reason why is that up until recently, I was under the impression that you pretty much had to stay overnight. But last week a co-worker (who lives in North Attleboro, certainly a good deal farther away from the ferry than I live) told me he was going for the day, and I asked around -- turns out lots of people do it. So it's now on my to-do list for the remainder of the summer.

There are some really good suggestions here for places I haven't visited yet.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Funny you mention that as I was looking on the site about swimming and it mentioned everything else but that.

What happened that caused it to close? Did it reopen.?

Each summer when we come back we try to take the twins to different places in RI and we run out of time, the swimming hole or pond that my dad used to take us in Arcadia is one of them.
I think you may be out of luck on Arcadia too. The last time I was by there, I didn't see anyone at all swimming and the water seemed much murkier, the "beach" untended.

They closed Beach Pond a few years back and my memory is that it was supposed to be temporary and had something to do with the beach erosion and budget constraints. It seems it has become permanent, unfortunately.

It was an extremely rocky beach - watershoes were a must - but for folks in Coventry, West Greenwich or Exeter, it was nice for a quick swim.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 PM

52 posts, read 56,614 times
I haven't seen much of Rhode Island but from what I have seen its a beautiful place. I have an Aunt and a Grandfather that lives in Tiverton who I visit several times a year. Would love to see more of it someday

Old 07-30-2014, 04:58 PM

61 posts, read 85,458 times
I have family members who go to Beach Pond. They have an album full of photos taken there this summer on FB. So I'm pretty sure that it's open again, unless there are two Beach Ponds in Exeter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island