Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I'm in the discovery phase: first, one has to identify there is a problem, then define the problem, and then work toward a solution. I'm in phase four of the Kübler-Ross model: depression. I used to wave-off people who complained about bad government in Rhode Island, but they were right.

And, so far as I know, it's still okay (and completely legal) to complain. But I'd agree, Holly, endless whining without a prescription for improvement is pointless, but I haven't whined that much and indeed have been largely positive.
There is much to be positive about. I think RI is doing fairly well lately considering the issues it faces. I say this based on over 30 years of observation. I think anyone who has been out and about recently to see the changes will agree. The state has a long way to go and traditionally moves at a snail's pace. As I've commented before, that has sometimes worked to its advantage in the past, i.e. lack of urban renewal meant many historic buildings saved, for example. Check with any city that has seen major change happening fast- it's usually a disaster. Of course, I'm not arguing for no change- just reasoned change.

Being a small state, it's hard not to have an excess of cronyism. That is an trait of human nature that will be very hard to overcome and probably is not realistic to think we ever can since it's an inherent flaw. When people don't really believe in the governmental system working they get cynical and lose faith- so the old cliche- we get the government we deserve- holds true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
At least we know more about your perception of "good government". Paul LePage America's Craziest Governor - POLITICO Magazine
Oh here we go again, fabricating quotes of mine. I said LePage would be better than Chafee. At least "Politico" gets this part correct:

"LePage campaigned on a promise to improve the economy by scaling back taxes, welfare and regulations—and he’s accomplished much of it. In 2011, he signed a $150 million tax cut, the largest in state history, which reduced the top income tax rate and doubled the estate tax exemption from $1 million to $2 million. Under LePage, a five-year limit on welfare benefits was imposed—in order to stop Maine from being a welfare “destination state”—and laws restricting big-box stores and mining were repealed."

Sound like RI could use one like this guy, in the worst way...

Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Putting good government in quotes was not intended to quote you - it quotes a common expression.
Defining Lepage is laughable- he's notorious. But I defend your right to do so!!! LOL!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
There is much to be positive about. I think RI is doing fairly well lately considering the issues it faces. I say this based on over 30 years of observation. I think anyone who has been out and about recently to see the changes will agree. The state has a long way to go and traditionally moves at a snail's pace. As I've commented before, that has sometimes worked to its advantage in the past, i.e. lack of urban renewal meant many historic buildings saved, for example. Check with any city that has seen major change happening fast- it's usually a disaster. Of course, I'm not arguing for no change- just reasoned change.

Being a small state, it's hard not to have an excess of cronyism. That is an trait of human nature that will be very hard to overcome and probably is not realistic to think we ever can since it's an inherent flaw. When people don't really believe in the governmental system working they get cynical and lose faith- so the old cliche- we get the government we deserve- holds true.
Can you cite examples of things to be positive about? It would cheer me up greatly.

From what I see, and I see very little, geographically speaking, I see a state that is way over its head with debt, a dysfunctional legislative branch, crumbling infrastructure, cities that are near bankruptcy, beaches so polluted that I wouldn't let a fish swim in them. I see a state with the highest unemployment rate in the nation, a city (PVD) with a 14.5% unemployment rate and a city where 27.5% of the population lives below the poverty level.

But Meeting Street was recently repaved, so that's a good thing.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM

61 posts, read 85,469 times
Not ALL of the beaches have been closed for high levels of bacteria. Just some of them. That's, um, a positive?

I despair to see the biggest cheerleader on this board dabbling in negativity. But, these are all reasonable concerns.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Focusing only on negatives is a sure way to depression.

Here's some positives I see:

1. Around 90% employment.
2. India Point Park- many improvements
3. I95 project and new bridges and highways
4. Many streets being repaved and old water pipes replaced. In terms of Providence alone the Mayor is going gangbusters on this in hopes of being elected governor. If you drove, you'd see it.
5. Real estate is doing well according to latest quarterly figures.
6. RI is on to latest foodies crazes, local foods, farmer's markets, etc
7. Beaches are open- only some close when DEM recommends.
8. Tourist trade is thriving.
9. Loads of festivals and things to do.
10. Newport just named one of 5 top small cities in America by Conde Nast.
11. Elections coming up- who knows maybe we'll get an honest reformer- where there's life there's hope.

Just a few off the top of my head. Maybe someone can add to this list.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Yep. Great fried clams, and hot wieners.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:52 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Focusing only on negatives is a sure way to depression.
Very true, but negatives cannot be ignored. And these aren't little problems, Holly, and they have to be addressed. I don't think our elected leaders have a clue as to how to mitigate or solve them. I mean, where's Providence's version of Ed Koch? Smiley? The Water Commissioner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlinger
I despair to see the biggest cheerleader on this board dabbling in negativity. But, these are all reasonable concerns.
There are many, many great things about this place, significant things that make PVD a great and livable city.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Sure, we all agree the problems should be addressed.

But like I said, one has to actually run for office......

Oh another reason to thank your lucky stars... we don't have multi year droughts and wildfires like many states. I'll take a little too much water over not enough any day.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 AM

4,403 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Oh here we go again, fabricating quotes of mine. I said LePage would be better than Chafee. At least "Politico" gets this part correct:

"LePage campaigned on a promise to improve the economy by scaling back taxes, welfare and regulations—and he’s accomplished much of it. In 2011, he signed a $150 million tax cut, the largest in state history, which reduced the top income tax rate and doubled the estate tax exemption from $1 million to $2 million. Under LePage, a five-year limit on welfare benefits was imposed—in order to stop Maine from being a welfare “destination state”—and laws restricting big-box stores and mining were repealed."

Sound like RI could use one like this guy, in the worst way...
That's really weird - how many years on welfare did Maine allow previously, I wonder? I thought all states went to 5 years or less in the 90s.

RI is more restrictive than Maine: people can receive cash assistance for no more than 24 months in any 60-month period, with a lifetime maximum of 48 months of benefits. Single parents must work an average of 30 hours per week, 20 hours if a child is under 6. In two parent families, one parent must work 35 hrs per week; if they use a daycare subsidy, both must work a total of 55 hours.

The number of caseloads in FY 2011 was half of what it was in FY06, and is now funded with solely federal funds. Since the start of the recession, RI's caseloads dropped by 38%, the largest of any state in the country. http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/S...nd%20Works.pdf

So, are you advocating that RI increase its welfare benefits to match Maine's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island