Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,139,618 times

Advertisements

Kind of disappointed with the new Rhode Island design for the licenses plates.........seems a little boring.

R.I. waves goodbye to old license plates, says hello to high-tech design | News - Rhode Island news right now | Providence Journal

We are no longer living in Rhode Island........but wife and children spend summers and every other Christmas here so that gives me comment privileges right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:40 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
A better design than the current grey blue waves, but still a little underwhelming. A larger sailboat would have been more striking.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:44 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Neither the old plates or the new ones are bad looking. I don't like the overly busy look, but that type seemed to be liked better in the best looking license plate poll. Quite a few states have ugly plates. If you're interested, take a look at the link of other states. I think a lighter color with dark letters is less offensive as it does't really clash with the color of the car. They could have put the sail boat in the middle and made it a bit bigger. Rhode Island license tags have always been pretty basic looking.

Which State License Plates Are the Prettiest and Ugliest? Survey Results

Current license plates for all states.
Current/Recent U.S. Issues

Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I wonder if they didn't put the boat in the middle because they thought it might look like a rehash of the old sailboat plate? or legibility trumped all? Agree the boat is tiny.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 AM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Agreed that dark numbers on light background looks better, unless you choose the color of your car to go with the plate.

On the other hand, it least it doesn't have a state tourism website address like some plates. Coulda been "VisitRIweneedthemoney.com"

Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 AM

4,388 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Wow, we've only ever had white plates, at least in my lifetime, so this is a big change
I will miss the raised letters but overall I like it better than the current plate.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Agreed that dark numbers on light background looks better, unless you choose the color of your car to go with the plate.

On the other hand, it least it doesn't have a state tourism website address like some plates. Coulda been "VisitRIweneedthemoney.com"
Or California, which has the website of the DMV. Never understood that one...

Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
It looked better when they kept the sailboat in the middle of the plate rather than in the corner

Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Or California, which has the website of the DMV. Never understood that one...

Maybe to direct those coming over the border illegally to get in line at a DMV of their choice; and then be directed to the local welfare office.

Agree with 9162, the old sailboat plates were nicer. They used to charge a fee to have a "special" plate. Now at close to $100 for plates front and back, maybe they should have considered a drawing of a screw.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
I'm a big license-plate enthusiast. I was disappointed when I heard Rhode Island was changing the plates -- long before I moved here, I considered Rhody's plates to be my absolute favorite in the country. In my very-expert opinion, no other state's tags nail minimalism so well. The wave plates somehow tell you a lot about the character of the state without hitting you over the head with a bunch of barns or trees or cacti or whatever the other states are doing. The colors are really subtle and well-done. Not the crayon you'd pull out of the box if I asked you to draw the ocean, but prettier and more accurate than what you'd pull out of the box. I like how the RIPTA buses match, too. I have to tell you the embarrassing truth: I was kind of excited to be moving to a state where I'd get to see these license plates every day.

I like Rhode Island iconography in general. I'm hopefully going to be buying a new house soon, and I'm planning on flying the state flag out front because that's a pretty amazing state flag.

All that said, the new plates aren't bad. I love the typeface, and it's an attractive blue, though I like it better on signs. Points for unity with the newish Discover Beautiful Rhode Island campaign. I probably would have done an anchor instead of a boat, but maybe that's just the new brand guidelines. Sad that the old ones are going, but maybe they'll be a premium option like the old sailboat plates. I guess they couldn't last forever.

The only current plate other than the doomed RI design that I love unconditionally is probably South Carolina. My least favorites are New York (looks like a slice of Velveeta) and New Jersey (looks like smoke billowing from furnaces off the New Jersey Turnpike). New York is really the Hall of Shame state here, as it has never had a decent plate. (Even its beloved Statue of Liberty design woefully underplayed the statue.) No wonder I left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: