Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
First it was my gym, the Boston Sports Club, that shuttered its doors in September. Then Quickly, a little Asian place on Dorrance. Now Ruth's Chris is gone. It is not a good sign when a city cannot support a national steakhouse, or even a single gym, downtown. What's going on?
Just go to Boston Sports Club on Pitman St, tons of well built gay guys. I prefer Health Trax in EP or Warwick. Try going to the new Longhorn Steak House in Seekonk. Providence has so many restaurants it's amazing they don't cannibalize each other a lot more than they do. Businesses open and close everywhere, not just here.

Last edited by 9162; 11-02-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
sorry about BSC, but I thought they had another location on the East Side? Ruth is gone, but at one time there was only ONE steak house in Providence. Winkler's Steak house in an alley in downtown Providence. Ruth was struggling and probably had a deal with Gtech. But we still have Capitol Grill (which started here and is now national) Fleming's (national), Shula's (national), XO and Providence Prime. Many larger cities would be lucky to have that many. I do miss RIRA's and there is no longer an outlet for Celtic music downtown. The small restaurants downtown have a lot of competition.
Yeah, but it's near Pittman Street, which, to me, might was well be Maine, it seems so far away. I guess I could, and maybe will, take the #92 to Eastside Market and the gym.

Though, I just came from one of those dungeons on Snow Street and I noted with delight that Quicky (or whatever it was called) has a sign in it advertising a new gym "coming soon."

Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Though, I just came from one of those dungeons on Snow Street and I noted with delight that Quicky (or whatever it was called) has a sign in it advertising a new gym "coming soon."
Oh, so you still don't drive. Going to one of those Snow St dungeons tonight, Sunday is the best for Eagle.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Oh, so you still don't drive. Going to one of those Snow St dungeons tonight, Sunday is the best for Eagle.
Never will. I mean, I'd never remember to get gasoline, I'd never remember to get it inspected, or change the oil or all the thousand and one BS aspects of owning a car. Here's the new reality for Providence people who are New Urbanists: Walk. Or Bike. Or Uber.

Me? I need two pairs of hiking boot per year, and maybe a rim or two for my bike, given the potholes.

I like the Eagle -- great bartenders, free pool. But as a matter of habit I don't stay out late on Sunday, but perhaps I'll try it sometime. Have fun.

Sorry for OT.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 PM

83 posts, read 343,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Right. Sounds like that guy should be fired. How simple is it to count people at the entries? He should know they need to keep to fire capacity and also not disappoint people by overselling tickets.

The good news is that the CC attracted so many people in the first place. That's good news not bad- and doesn't belong under an "ominous sign for Providence" thread.
While said CC official was lax in his oversight of the facility and its lessee, and should be disciplined, the ultimate blame for the over-selling (which was extreme) is on the producers of the event.

Producing such conventions is like renting an Elks Hall on a very large scale...you get the space, but how you run/what you charge for the event is up to you (other than being obliged to contract certain exclusive vendors for things like concessions, decorating, security, etc).

I disagree that Downtown Providence is a poor convention destination. I always like doing smaller shows there, at places like The Omni or The Biltmore. The CC itself and its staff are a drag for the most part, but the same can be said for just about every state-run convention facility in the US.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 AM

682 posts, read 834,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
By the way, just to make it a home run for downtown PVD, actress Eliza Dushku had her luggage stolen out of the lobby of the Omni while she was checking in...
So a man, from FLORIDA, staying in the Omni on a different floor steals luggage and it reflects on Providence how?????

Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM

682 posts, read 834,135 times
Quote:
sorry about BSC, but I thought they had another location on the East Side? Ruth is gone, but at one time there was only ONE steak house in Providence. Winkler's Steak house in an alley in downtown Providence. Ruth was struggling and probably had a deal with Gtech. But we still have Capitol Grill (which started here and is now national) Fleming's (national), Shula's (national), XO and Providence Prime. Many larger cities would be lucky to have that many. I do miss RIRA's and there is no longer an outlet for Celtic music downtown. The small restaurants downtown have a lot of competition.
Capital Grille is the reason Ruth is being booted from its present location. Must mean Capital has a positive feeling for Downcity since they are paying MORE for the space....not leaving Downcity.

P.S. If you really rate downtowns by chains then you will need to leave Providence out of your opinion since this city really hates chains....we go to local places. That is the reason we are getting so much national attention about our food scene.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
P.S. If you really rate downtowns by chains then you will need to leave Providence out of your opinion since this city really hates chains....we go to local places. That is the reason we are getting so much national attention about our food scene.
FWIW, most people who live in major coastal cities only eat at local restaurants as opposed to national chains. IME, only people in flyover country consistently eat at chain restaurants with Phoenix, AZ as the ringleader in that department.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Capital Grille is the reason Ruth is being booted from its present location. Must mean Capital has a positive feeling for Downcity since they are paying MORE for the space....not leaving Downcity.

Steakhouse chains the caliber of Capital Grille, Shula's, Flemings etc are not the typical chain restaurants. These restaurants only come to a proven high scale market such as Providence. They compliment the market. I would welcome Luxbar, such as the wonderful one in Chicago, in Providence. Add a barbecue restaurant of quality and downtown would just be better.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Steakhouse chains the caliber of Capital Grille, Shula's, Flemings etc are not the typical chain restaurants. These restaurants only come to a proven high scale market such as Providence. They compliment the market. I would welcome Luxbar, such as the wonderful one in Chicago, in Providence. Add a barbecue restaurant of quality and downtown would just be better.

Heck, even here in the "freaky backwater" area of Asheville, we have a thriving Ruth's Chris. And some 5 star restaurants within the Biltmore Estate properties; the Grove Park Inn where Barack and Michelle love to stay. Not to mention some of the best wineries outside of Cali. We even have the 12 Bones Bar-b-q where Obama loves to eat and be "seen" at. Some of the best "q" is right here on our doorsteps. There are over 600 awesome places within a radius to satisfy anyone's fine food fetish. Freaky man, freaking great. And more fabulous micro breweries than you can shake a hillbilly broom at.

No ominous signs here, the area is thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island