Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just got back from a weekend visit to Myrtle Beach, SC (population 28,292 vs PVD's 178,432) where there is a sparkling new Ruth's Chris. Anybody think of ways Providence can replicate the success they've had down there with their thriving restaurant scene? Maybe by capitalizing on tourism more?
that doesn't include the winter population. Do they have the Ruth Chriss next to Shula's, Flemings, Capitol Grill, XO Prime or Providence Prime? Actually my favorite down there is Chuck's Steak House and the seafood restaurants at the Myrtle's Inlet are great.

So why do you think there is no restaurant success in Providence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
that doesn't include the winter population. Do they have the Ruth Chriss next to Shula's, Flemings, Capitol Grill, XO Prime or Providence Prime? Actually my favorite down there is Chuck's Steak House and the seafood restaurants at the Myrtle's Inlet are great.

So why do you think there is no restaurant success in Providence?
No but there are only 500 or so other restaurants there of all types and qualities. Myself, I'm partial to the Calabash seafood places.

Never said there was NO restaurant scene in Providence, where did that come from?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No but there are only 500 or so other restaurants there of all types and qualities. Myself, I'm partial to the Calabash seafood places.

Never said there was NO restaurant scene in Providence, where did that come from?
Anybody think of ways Providence can replicate the success they've had down there with their thriving restaurant scene? Maybe by capitalizing on tourism more?

OK, you didn't quite say that there is no restaurant scene, but you infer that it is not thriving as compared to Myrtle Beach. The tourism seasons are different between the two areas and equating Myrtle Beach's winter (warmerer weather) to Providence's doesn't jive. Still, restaurants are busy here even during winter. Restaurants used to close 2-3 days each week during winter and more used to close down completely during winter. They no longer do that. Of course they are closed when snow comes.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Providence has some excellent restaurants, and mr2448, you did mention some of them. When I am near Providence, I'd much rather go to Capitol Grille for their steak; Andino's or Capriccio's for Italian or some of the excellent out-of-the-way places. For a family or a couple on a budget, there are many other great places to go rather than the overpriced Ruth's Chris which was at first considered a place "to be seen". Obviously they weren't making their margin of profit, or they'd still be there.

The main attractions of RI are the quaint coastal towns that benefit mostly from tourism, not the City of Providence itself. There is only so much walking around one can do in Providence and one or two days is an average stay -- it is not a family destination.

Tourists that stop in Providence are just passing through -- it is not a vacation destination area such as Newport, Boston, the coast of Maine, Cape Cod where the attractions appeal to young couples as well as families.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Providence has some excellent restaurants, and mr2448, you did mention some of them. When I am near Providence, I'd much rather go to Capitol Grille for their steak; Andino's or Capriccio's for Italian or some of the excellent out-of-the-way places. For a family or a couple on a budget, there are many other great places to go rather than the overpriced Ruth's Chris which was at first considered a place "to be seen". Obviously they weren't making their margin of profit, or they'd still be there.

The main attractions of RI are the quaint coastal towns that benefit mostly from tourism, not the City of Providence itself. There is only so much walking around one can do in Providence and one or two days is an average stay -- it is not a family destination.

Tourists that stop in Providence are just passing through -- it is not a vacation destination area such as Newport, Boston, the coast of Maine, Cape Cod where the attractions appeal to young couples as well as families.
yes and no, Quilter. Providence as a tourist destination is not for everyone, but it has its niche. People who love preservation and history come to Providence. Benefit Street is second to none for historic homes and the fact that downtown Providence didn't succumb to the urban renewal of the 50's and 60's makes it a place many preservationists come to see. You are right 2-3 days at most to visit Providence, but it is a central location for visiting many places in Southern New England.
Is it multi millions every year, no; but, it does pay the bill for some 2500 hotels rooms that didn't exist in Providence 40 years ago. Someone fills those rooms. And outside of Newport there aren't any places to stay near those coastal towns. People enjoy Providence because they can get out and walk around, like Newport and Boston, rather than being in an hotel/motel around an airport. These are the people who contribute to the restaurant scene in Providence.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:10 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,692,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
yes and no, Quilter. Providence as a tourist destination is not for everyone, but it has its niche. People who love preservation and history come to Providence. Benefit Street is second to none for historic homes and the fact that downtown Providence didn't succumb to the urban renewal of the 50's and 60's makes it a place many preservationists come to see. You are right 2-3 days at most to visit Providence, but it is a central location for visiting many places in Southern New England.
Is it multi millions every year, no; but, it does pay the bill for some 2500 hotels rooms that didn't exist in Providence 40 years ago. Someone fills those rooms. And outside of Newport there aren't any places to stay near those coastal towns. People enjoy Providence because they can get out and walk around, like Newport and Boston, rather than being in an hotel/motel around an airport. These are the people who contribute to the restaurant scene in Providence.
I agree with this. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend friends visit Providence for a few days. I've had friends who came down for the weekend from Boston, stayed at a hotel and made a romantic weekend of it. They did this not to visit me, but to go to the restaurants and get away from Boston and spend a nice weekend together away from kids. It's close to NYC and Boston, it's nice, and it's not too expensive.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I agree with this. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend friends visit Providence for a few days. I've had friends who came down for the weekend from Boston, stayed at a hotel and made a romantic weekend of it. They did this not to visit me, but to go to the restaurants and get away from Boston and spend a nice weekend together away from kids. It's close to NYC and Boston, it's nice, and it's not too expensive.
Yep. Same with gay guys -- apparently, the gay scene in BOS blows (as it were) and many come to PVD. I don't dislike BOS, and I have spent and continue to spend a lot of time there. I just don't love it. Don't hate it, but don't love it.

PVD. It fits me like a God damned glove.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,390 times
Providence is a GREAT city for a getaway weekend.. of course, nobody ever advertises that, so few people know. Stay at the Hotel Providence, go to the PPAC for a show, dinner at the Capital Grille, drinks at Trinity... If the weather was more to my liking, I would come back for a weekend.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:03 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,692,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Providence is a GREAT city for a getaway weekend.. of course, nobody ever advertises that, so few people know. Stay at the Hotel Providence, go to the PPAC for a show, dinner at the Capital Grille, drinks at Trinity... If the weather was more to my liking, I would come back for a weekend.
You bring up a good point; why doesn't the City of Providence put an ad or two in a publication like the Boston Globe, Boston Magazine, New York Times, etc.?

Some people in Boston do know about WaterFire, and schedule their weekend around that... I have had Boston friends hear about WaterFire from other Bostonians and ask me about it.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You bring up a good point; why doesn't the City of Providence put an ad or two in a publication like the Boston Globe, Boston Magazine, New York Times, etc.?

Some people in Boston do know about WaterFire, and schedule their weekend around that... I have had Boston friends hear about WaterFire from other Bostonians and ask me about it.
Not too justifiable when the city can't even repair the streets. Something like that needs to be at the state level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island