Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I mean I'm always open minded...
I can honestly say that "open minded" is not a quality I would ever assign to you. Ever. And that's okay, you are what you are. And a bit of extremism is good for the occasional chuckle.

Even many leading law enforcement officials want legalization of marijuana. But I don't like the pitch that's it's good for revenue. Either the drug is non-harmful, as much as any drug can be, or it is not, and studies show it is certainly less harmful than cigarettes, which, are, you know, legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:29 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I can honestly say that "open minded" is not a quality I would ever assign to you.
That is your opinion of me (baseless as it is), that you are well entitled to.

Quote:
And a bit of extremism is good for the occasional chuckle.
You must amuse yourself greatly then!

Quote:
Even many leading law enforcement officials want legalization of marijuana.
Sure, because so much of their time is devoted to "processing" it, and devoting their attention away from more important things. That's really a separate topic than I was speaking of however, and many in law enforcement remain against it (as they see the effects it has on society).

Quote:
But I don't like the pitch that's it's good for revenue. Either the drug is non-harmful, as much as any drug can be, or it is not, and studies show it is certainly less harmful than cigarettes, which, are, you know, legal.
True I'm against vice taxes in principal, but I don't recall anyone here suggesting that cigarettes were not harmful. More harmful than MJ? That's a hard sell, I would love to know what studies show that. Keep in mind that FAR more is spent combating the tobacco industry and its products than marijuana, probably due to them (companies) being much bigger targets (it is legal after all).

Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

True I'm against vice taxes in principal, but I don't recall anyone here suggesting that cigarettes were not harmful. More harmful than MJ? That's a hard sell, I would love to know what studies show that. Keep in mind that FAR more is spent combating the tobacco industry and its products than marijuana, probably due to them (companies) being much bigger targets (it is legal after all).
You want, you got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC
The safety of marijuana versus booze is not a new claim but, for the first time, researchers measured the potential harm of these drugs in a more quantitative way — that is, by comparing a lethal dose to how much of the substance is typically consumed socially.

Their findings showed the dangers of marijuana "may have been overestimated in the past", while the risk of alcohol has been "commonly underestimated," researchers said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsweek
You are 114 times more likely to die from overdosing on alchohol than you are from cannabis, a recent study has found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
And all the way at the bottom of the list? Weed — roughly 114 times less deadly than booze, according to the authors, who ran calculations that compared lethal doses of a given substance with the amount that a typical person uses. Marijuana is also the only drug studied that posed a low mortality risk to its users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartnershipForDrugFreeAmerica
The research claimed only two deaths worldwide could be directly attributed to marijuana each year, while 150,000 people in Britain die from alcohol and tobacco. “Many of the harms associated with cannabis use are the result of prohibition itself,” the report stated, “particularly the social harms arising from arrest and imprisonment.”
There are a few thousand more cites on The Google. Use it - GIYF.

I don't doubt that reefer impairs one's ability to drive or operate machinery, so I hope the police have to detection tools necessary to NAIL drivers who are high and punish them in the very same manner they do with alcohol.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You want, you got!

There are a few thousand more cites on The Google. Use it - GIYF.

I don't doubt that reefer impairs one's ability to drive or operate machinery, so I hope the police have to detection tools necessary to NAIL drivers who are high and punish them in the very same manner they do with alcohol.
I'm still waiting Mr. Alfie. Those articles were all about the dangers of MJ vs. alcohol. You said cigarettes are more harmful, let's address that please.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm still waiting Mr. Alfie. Those articles were all about the dangers of MJ vs. alcohol. You said cigarettes are more harmful, let's address that please.
First cite, first line:

Quote:
Recreational pot — legalized in Washington, D.C. on Thursday and decriminalized Tuesday in Alaska — is less dangerous than both alcohol and tobacco, scientists assert.
Now, I don't mind school you young'uns, but do try to keep up -- show some initiative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-bgYxMO5cY

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
First cite, first line:

Now, I don't mind school you young'uns, but do try to keep up -- show some initiative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-bgYxMO5cY
OK buddy at least ONE of your cites mentions something. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to go reading into that lengthly report and what/how they drew that conclusion.

But I was able to dig up a few of my own.

Study Says Smoking Marijuana Worse for Lungs than Cigarettes - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids

Smoking One Joint is Equivalent to 20 Cigarettes, Study Says | Fox News

Cannabis smoking 'more harmful' than tobacco - 11 November 2002 - New Scientist

Marijuana Legalization May Make Pot More Dangerous Than Legal Tobacco And Alcohol?

Marijuana more dangerous to smoke than cigarettes

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM

I accept your concession. The rest is hemming, hawing, back-tracking and diversion -- won't do; just won't do.

If you wish to engage me, come prepared. Now clean up your bloodied nose, and lick your wounds (but not noisily), m'kay?

Ciao, babe.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfieboy View Post
i accept your concession. The rest is hemming, hawing, back-tracking and diversion -- won't do; just won't do.

if you wish to engage me, come prepared. Now clean up your bloodied nose, and lick your wounds (but not noisly), m'kay?

Ciao, babe.
lmao!!!:d

Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Through the smoky haze of this debate, I offer this: Given that the Woodstock Generation is in the process of retiring, if Rhode Island were to legalize marijuana, it might just be a way to attract retirees to the state. If nothing else, "couch-lock" could be "a way to keep retirees at home". See what I just did there?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 PM

^ I know little of the history of the Woodstock Generation, apart from blurry photos, and some awful music and tasteless haircuts and crappy "fashion." It is not a period that holds any interest to me.

I struggle with the remainder of your post; it's all really rather silly. People make retirement decisions based on factors far more important than where they can cop their next z.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island