Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Point being, there's no way to really compare what is being smoked now vs what was being smoked before. It's not like you can compare sales figures. How would anyone know if usage skyrocketed when usage was previously secretive?

Are people who always smoked now smoking more often? Or did people who never smoked before take up smoking? Or is this skyrocketing due to out of state buyers buying in CO because it's easier?
I may have missed you earlier, but as always I can assure you that I'll never let you down Sandy!

This is just the tip of the ice burg, I'm afraid:

Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:52 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Through the smoky haze of this debate, I offer this: Given that the Woodstock Generation is in the process of retiring, if Rhode Island were to legalize marijuana, it might just be a way to attract retirees to the state. If nothing else, "couch-lock" could be "a way to keep retirees at home". See what I just did there?
Li'l Rhody already has the highest per capita MJ use in the country (although #2 Colorado is fast catching up). Imagine where things will go if/when it's legalized in RI!

But keep in mind that the stuff is now far more potent than in those days. As treacherous as they are now, I'd definitely fear driving on the state's roads in that day.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ I know little of the history of the Woodstock Generation, apart from blurry photos, and some awful music and tasteless haircuts and crappy "fashion." It is not a period that holds any interest to me.

I struggle with the remainder of your post; it's all really rather silly. People make retirement decisions based on factors far more important than where they can cop their next z.
I guess my humor is a little too subtle... 'cuz, ya know, the thread wafted from retirement into an eddy of debate about cannabis use.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I guess my humor is a little too subtle...
No, I do subtle very well. Very well. It just wasn't particularly humorous -- indeed, it was really rather odd, IMHO. And it utterly lacked context with the convo at hand.

But, you know, some people need to interject at any opportunity, even if they have nothing to offer.

Happens from awkward time to awkward time -- done it myself, though perhaps less frequently and with less "bomb" effect than some newer posters..

Viva Jimi Hendrix, I guess, if that brings you a measure of consolation...

Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
No, I do subtle very well. Very well. It just wasn't particularly humorous -- indeed, it was really rather odd, IMHO. And it utterly lacked context with the convo at hand.

But, you know, some people need to interject at any opportunity, even if they have nothing to offer.

Happens from awkward time to awkward time -- done it myself, though perhaps less frequently and with less "bomb" effect than some newer posters..

Viva Jimi Hendrix, I guess, if that brings you a measure of consolation...
Well, you do make a compelling case against drug use there!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
^ I leave drug use and narcotic experiences (and all the affiliated psychological carnage) in the domain of those who, you know, use them. You see, I'm not the one advocating Gramps sitting in a couch doing reefer. Gee, I seem to recall you advocating that.

Got a mirror handy? And hold it vertically, not horizontally.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 PM

I am nearly speechless. All I can say is that it was a subtle joke meant to bring the subject around to the original topic, and nothing more. That, and Jimi Hendrix died a tragic death from overdose. I do apologize that my words did not properly get my meaning across in any of the posts I made. Cheers.

Last edited by ormari; 02-26-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
True I'm against vice taxes in principal, but I don't recall anyone here suggesting that cigarettes were not harmful. More harmful than MJ? That's a hard sell, I would love to know what studies show that. Keep in mind that FAR more is spent combating the tobacco industry and its products than marijuana, probably due to them (companies) being much bigger targets (it is legal after all).
Cigarettes are definitely more harmful. 1) They are addictive and marijuana is not. While marijuana is higher in tar, people who smoke cigarettes smoke many more of them and more frequently than people smoke marijuana. Someone smokes marijuana to get high, smokes enough to accomplish that and stops. People who are addicted to cigarettes need to smoke them continually throughout the day, thus exposing themselves much more. Even the biggest pothead doesn't smoke 20 to 40 joints a day, and many use delivery systems that cut down on the carcinogens 2) There are additional chemicals added to cigarettes beyond the tobacco plant. 3) In a recent study, the largest of its kind, spanning more than 2,000 lung cancer cases and nearly 3,000 controls scientists found no link between marijuana use and lung cancer risk. Cannabis smoking and lung cancer risk: Pooled analysis in the International Lung Cancer Consortium - Zhang - 2014 - International Journal of Cancer - Wiley Online Library 4) An often overlooked difference between marijuana and tobacco — the smoke from marijuana contains a set of unique chemicals known as cannabinoids (eg. THC and CBD), which are not found in cigarette smoke. Cannabinoids have significant anti-cancer and anti-tumor effects. These anti-cancer, anti-tumor effects explain why marijuana smokers develop lung cancer less frequently than non smokers - the cannabinoids counter the carcinogens. It also explains why doctors would be ok about prescribing marijuana to people suffering from - cancer. Look up the 2006 study by Dr. Tashkin. He also found that marijuana users do not develop COPD. They can however develop milder problems like chronic bronchitis which goes away if they stop smoking or switch to a vaporizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island