Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFishFL View Post
Anything 30 minutes or less would be great! We plan on heading down there in April for a few days to look around and get a feel for the area. I actually prefer smaller towns, but I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to a Walmart like I have to now. We are in a VERY rural and remote part of Maine right now. There is literally nothing around here that doesn't require a long commute. I can't wait to leave! My boys are most excited that we'll have 7-11's again. They've been seriously Slurpee deprived for the past 2.5 years!!

A lot is going to depend on a search for rentals; just try to keep it within 15 miles of Narragansett and you should be fine. North Kingstown would be my choice because there is plenty of shopping, good highway access, and it's a very good family area. (East Greenwich is wonderful, and NK is closeby, but EG will be pricey.) In the meantime, here is a Christmas present idea ... buy a Ninja blender for your wife for Christmas, and make your own Slurpees. All of you, little kids and big kids, will love being near the ocean! Best wishes on your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:31 AM

26 posts, read 31,678 times
The Southern part of Warwick - Cowesett and Potowomut - is nice. Both are very close to East Greenwich, possibly walking distance to Main Street which has little shops, restaurants, coffee places also the library, playground, police station etc. The prices will be less than EG and, in Cowesett, the elementary school (Cedar Hill) is very well regarded. The problem will be finding a single family rental and, while the distance isn't that far, traffic going to Narragansett in the summer can be a negative. Even on Route 4, which is the highway, you start hitting lights in North Kingstown and slows everything down with beach traffic. Depending on the time that you would be commuting, though, it's possible that this wouldn't be a big issue. You would also be very close to just about everything retail in Warwick

Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the info. It has given me a great starting point. I am not looking for rural areas. Right now I have to drive 2 hours just to get to a mall. I'm ready to return to the land of the living!! How about Warwick? What would the commute time be like to Narragansett from there?
a 2 hour drive will get you into 3 other states, although one by ferry. Remember it is Rhode Island and nothing is more than 45 minutes away, except in commute and summer traffic. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 AM

22 posts, read 18,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A lot is going to depend on a search for rentals; just try to keep it within 15 miles of Narragansett and you should be fine. North Kingstown would be my choice because there is plenty of shopping, good highway access, and it's a very good family area. (East Greenwich is wonderful, and NK is closeby, but EG will be pricey.) In the meantime, here is a Christmas present idea ... buy a Ninja blender for your wife for Christmas, and make your own Slurpees. All of you, little kids and big kids, will love being near the ocean! Best wishes on your relocation.
I am the wife. I don't think my husband would want a blender for Christmas, but I'll keep that in mind. LOL We are originally from Florida and my husband is in the Coast Guard. We have never NOT lived by a beach. The one's up here are pretty crappy though. I'm looking forward to getting back to nicer beaches!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
I am the wife. I don't think my husband would want a blender for Christmas, but I'll keep that in mind. LOL We are originally from Florida and my husband is in the Coast Guard. We have never NOT lived by a beach. The one's up here are pretty crappy though. I'm looking forward to getting back to nicer beaches!

You will fit in quite nicely in RI.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You will fit in quite nicely in RI.
Thank you. We really are looking forward to our move!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 AM

16 posts, read 20,442 times
I would suggest first looking in the Narragansett and South Kingstown area. Both offer pleasant, safe small town living but with things to do. Both towns have recreation departments (i.e. sports) for kids. The schools are considered strong in both towns. Narragansett is a smaller town and it has many more rentals. However, most of those are college rentals so beware because you probably do not want to end up in the middle of keg alley. Bonnet Shores and Eastward Look are two neighborhoods within Narragansett which rent to URI students during the school year and to summer visitors from June-August. I would be aware of those two areas. Wakefield and Kingston are two villages within South Kingstown which would be worth looking at. Wakefield has the "downtown" with stores, churches, etc. Kingston is where the University of RI is located but except for the dorms on campus, there are not a lot of student rentals up there. There were some very nice rentals (brand new homes) on a little street just off Old North Road called Eldred Farm Rd you could check out. The builder owner is a very honest guy - it would be worth checking those out. It would be a 10-15 minute ride to Narragansett from Kingston (if that).
This whole area is very nice. There's a bike path linking the two towns, plenty of beaches, tennis courts, lots to do.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK116 View Post
I would suggest first looking in the Narragansett and South Kingstown area. Both offer pleasant, safe small town living but with things to do. Both towns have recreation departments (i.e. sports) for kids. The schools are considered strong in both towns. Narragansett is a smaller town and it has many more rentals. However, most of those are college rentals so beware because you probably do not want to end up in the middle of keg alley. Bonnet Shores and Eastward Look are two neighborhoods within Narragansett which rent to URI students during the school year and to summer visitors from June-August. I would be aware of those two areas. Wakefield and Kingston are two villages within South Kingstown which would be worth looking at. Wakefield has the "downtown" with stores, churches, etc. Kingston is where the University of RI is located but except for the dorms on campus, there are not a lot of student rentals up there. There were some very nice rentals (brand new homes) on a little street just off Old North Road called Eldred Farm Rd you could check out. The builder owner is a very honest guy - it would be worth checking those out. It would be a 10-15 minute ride to Narragansett from Kingston (if that).
This whole area is very nice. There's a bike path linking the two towns, plenty of beaches, tennis courts, lots to do.
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island