Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with peaceful protests to make a point but whether it's that type or riots I go along with Martin Luther King who said; "The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility". Protests also fizzle out without noticeable changes being made. If folks want specific changes they need to make that clear to those in office and by supporting candidates they feel will be sensitive to making law enforcement agencies more transparent to the citizens of the community.

The respect you get back often depends on how one is treated initially, whether by cops or civilians. Some officers are much better at tact and diplomacy than others, and that often helps defuse potential volatile situations. I've seen officers be able to calm a emotionally charged situation and others further ignite it. I believe the Garner incident was handled poorly from the start. I think the officer clearly was in the wrong though his intentions may not have been to choke Garner when he first grabbed him, that is what ended up happening and when Garner stated he could not breath officers did not immediately let up, even though they had him under control. Why didn't they threaten Garner with a taser, or use it if he failed to comply. The function of the taser is to make someone comply that is being combative and not following instructions. Why have a wrestling match when ya don't have to.

Let's not make this a racial debate, there are examples of officers shooting white people too. This is not an issue that effects just one race of people. Not too long ago in Utah a non-white officer shot and killed a young white male. I've run into cops that were overzealous types over the years and had I not been respectful and done as they asked of me, I'm sure the situation would have turned ugly. Not everyone brings brutality upon themselves either. There are trigger happy cops that are dangerous on the job and they can't feel they are above the law. As it looks now, that is the case. Perhaps the prosecutors office should step aside and let an independent body handle the Grand Jury cases. As it is now they are the ones steering the course of the ship. The vast majority of cops do a good job and care about the community they live in. That's something folks need to remember too.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
This is the RI forum, not the Missouri forum. Unless you have some proof of people travelling to Providence to protest.

But why would they? There are protests all over the country, and Providence is small potatos compared to the others.

LOL! the topic is "Not so classy Providence".

Those who believe that protesting in public is classy will not want to read the cite whether it is Missouri, New York City or Providence. Same type of group, same type of one-sided uneducated mentality.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Funny, wasn't Roger Williams a proponent of tolerance?

People who object to the right to protest really are pretty pathetic. They should self-deport and in turn a Central American or Eastern European should take their place. These sad creatures do not value our freedoms, indeed they HATE our freedoms. They belong in the hoot 'n hollers of less, well, civilized and less educated climes.

Get out and stay out.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition. That includes any US citizen.

Public agreement and/or approval has nothing to do with 1st amendment rights.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition. That includes any US citizen.

Public agreement and/or approval has nothing to do with 1st amendment rights.
It does to social misfits and freaks of nature who want to see America FAIL. Who want to see us led by Putin. Who want to end the healthful and beneficial fluoridation of our water supply.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Was proud of the protesters and the Providence Police Department for practicing and protecting/managing our freedoms! Proud to be a citizen of Providence.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
LOL! the topic is "Not so classy Providence".

Those who believe that protesting in public is classy will not want to read the cite whether it is Missouri, New York City or Providence. Same type of group, same type of one-sided uneducated mentality.
Yes, that was the title, but you talked about protesters in Ferguson rather than protesters in Providence. I know Casey hates it when things go off the RI topic.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:38 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Funny, wasn't Roger Williams a proponent of tolerance?

People who object to the right to protest really are pretty pathetic. They should self-deport and in turn a Central American or Eastern European should take their place. These sad creatures do not value our freedoms, indeed they HATE our freedoms. They belong in the hoot 'n hollers of less, well, civilized and less educated climes.

Get out and stay out.
Nothing wrong with a peaceful protest for a just cause ie. MLK, but to be taking to the streets of Providence regarding incidents that happened in a distant land that none of these clowns know anything about other than what they were spoon fed by the likes of Sharpton and the liberal media; says more about those partaking in the protest than of Roger William's idea of tolerance. Was it legal? Kind of sort of... Intelligent, productive, honorable, etc.? I think it speaks for itself.

Now go back to your keyboard, and keep picking and choosing who belongs in this country.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Eric Garner didn't threaten the police. He said he was tired of being harassed, which is within his first amendment rights, but he didn't threaten anyone. Amadou Diallo didn't threaten the police. Levar Jones was following police orders to show his ID when he was shot, for absolutely no reason. Jonathan Ferrell went up to a policemen for help after he was in a car accident, exactly as we are taught to do - and he was shot to death instead.

It's the policeman's job to protect and serve, so how could they ignore Garner saying he couldn't breathe, and just let him die? It's their job to arrest people, not find them guilty and execute them. The problem is that study after study has shown, they are much likely to assume all blacks are guilty of something, much less likely to treat them as fellow human beings. By the way, they killed Garner for nothing; he didn't have any loose cigarettes on him.

Yet the cops manage to arrest the Aurora killer without killing him, and when faced with a direct threat from armed men at the Cliven Bundy showdown - the cops left! How many times have you seen footage of cops trying to talk white armed men into giving up, but yet they seem to have this problem with jumping the gun and killing unarmed black men instantly.

I say hoorah for people sticking up for their brothers and sisters and affirming that every life is worthwhile instead of just looking the other way because it doesn't affect them directly. I think the militarization of the police and the excessive force they use is something that should concern us all.
Sandsonik, even the video showed him resisting arrest! The Cops didn't kill him! He died as a result of being extremely obese and and in poor health! If you don't take care of your body, fine; but don't fight with police if you are one breath away from...

This Monday Morning Quarterbacking is unbelievable. The whole "(As we know now), he was unarmed and posed no threat". It's almost funny, that if the cops had used less force and this guy came back and stabbed them to death; they would be talked about as heroes to their profession. I guess they have to die first. Well I got some news for you, that is it's the cops' job to go home in one piece. Do you know how many times suspects give the "I can't breath" line to officers after they stupidly pick a fight with them? If that were true then they wouldn't be able to say that (or anything)! Should an officer just take their word and hope that the suspect doesn't pull a weapon or strike him with their fist? I'm sorry, but once a suspect (especially of that size and with that kind of history) fights with police; all game is on. I don't understand why people keep defending a p.o.s. like this.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM

49 posts, read 84,859 times
Mass native, I had no idea what you meant when you said that. Thanks so much for explaining it to me. Maybe some one can explain sarcasm to you. I did go to Central Falls hs. And I got a scholarship to Brown. I am so sorry that my people failed to impress you. Were you home schooled? Because you sound very sheltered. I do not need to read what I wrote. I do not have the memory of a goldfish so I remember what I said. Maybe you should read it again since you were not able to get my point about the police being incompetent. A person who resists arrest does not deserve the death penalty. You are a horrible person for thinking that they do. If police are not capable of restraining a suspect with out killing them then they have no business being cops. Growing up in an inner city environment I have witnessed racial profiling and excessive force used by police. Many of the police officers in this state are straight up criminals. If your panties are in a twist because some college kids are protesting the results of an incident in NY I can't wait to see how pissy you get when the time comes when others are protesting the police in the state of RI. RI police have blood on their hands. All that has been covered will be uncovered.

And I am actually just as annoyed with the protesters as you are. It's not shocking that a bunch of them are in L.L. bean jackets. Those are incredibly ugly jackets. They are "safe" jackets worn by the fashionably challenged. The type of people that wear a particular type of jacket because "everyone else" is wearing it. Followers. Typical RIers. These followers are hopping on a trend with their protests. They wear what other people wear and apparently protest what other people protest. None of them would be protesting if "everyone else" wasn't protesting. But they still have the right to protest so get over it.

I read about a crime committed by an incompetent police officer in RI about three years ago. A mentally unstable man from Tiverton went to check on his mother in Portsmouth. When she didn't answer the door he went crazy thinking that something had happened to her so he called 911. The police came and it turned out his mother was fine and in the shower so she did not hear him knocking. The stress of thinking that his mother might be hurt triggered something so he got all worked up. The police officer decided to have him committed for his erratic behavior. He resisted
and now he is dead because the police officer restraining him was incompetent. He was an unarmed mentally unstable man who died at the hands of a RI police officer. His crime was that he freaked out because he was concerned about his mothers well being. He called the police for help and the officer accidentally killed him with the help of a mail man.

Can any of the protesters please explain to me why you feel the need to protest the fact that an unarmed citizen in NY died at the hands of a NY police officer and you do not feel the need to protest the excessive force and poor training used by a RI cop which resulted in the death of an unarmed RI resident ? A resident that did not commit a crime? He was just frantic over the well being of his mother.

I'll tell you why. Because "everyone else" isn't protesting that. "Everyone else" isn't protesting that changes need to be made with the police to prevent incidents like that from happening.
Clearly the same problems exist in this state as they do in NY. Why are you followers so concerned with what is happening in other states and you do not care about what goes on in your own state?

I am annoyed with your priorities protesters.
And I am annoyed with all the people who have a problem with people protesting that are standing up for what they believe in.

There are racist cops in this state that feel that the lives of black people don't matter. Horrible crooked people. You do not have any life experiences to base your opinions on so your opinions do not matter. Some cops use excessive force for fun and get off on it. They are the real criminals. Twisted and terrible people.

The bad ones need to be weeded out and the ones that remain need to be retrained and educated about how to handle these situations better.

Last edited by Vanessamichaels; 12-07-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island