Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Parking availability as a right?
While I don't fully agree with many others that forced internment in FEMA camps should be the punishment for driving, I think further discussion is needed.

Quote:
We were just talking about the Superman building, built in the 20s. Thousands and thousands of people have worked there since, all without ever having a parking spot. Same for the Hospital Trust old Building, the Tower, Textron, the Fleet Center and every building of signifigance downtown.
People, left to their nature, are generally pigs, sometimes me included. We need to work on that. Question: was there a trolley system back then? There is no current pathway for getting people from Westerly and much of northern RI into the City in a manner that is tolerable. In the 1920s, there were 310 miles of trolley track in RI. All gone. Got to work on that, too.

Places like Providence, Portland, Maine (and Oregon) are the cities of this century. New York, LA, Miami are beyond the means of what's left of all strata of the middle class, especially creative people. PVD is uniquely situated for this new reality, but it needs a few tweaks, transportation and housing-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
3 time. Twice in the last year.
So, do tell, how bad is it?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So, do tell, how bad is it?
It's like a family trying to sell a house they have lived in for 50 years and the last time they remodeled was 1971. This describes the very tired upper office space (90%). Maintenance has been terribly deferred throughout. Of course, the public spaces are still magnificent and timeless.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Manhatten, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia etc just sunk into the ocean based on your hipness assertion. They move there not because of hipness but because of economic viability. No expenditure for a vehicle, walkable to job, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. But you probably are right, people see it as a right, even though driving is not a right. And the change has to start sometime and that time is now.
So I assume you plan on immediately selling your Chepachet abode and moving to DT Providence? Let me guess, you blame the lack of housing on your inability to move there and are just waiting on one of those new Superman condos to come on line.

In all seriousness, none of those places you mention are Rhode Island. And as you and I know, most RIers will put up a hissy fit if they have to walk 2 blocks to work.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Parking availability as a right?

We were just talking about the Superman building, built in the 20s. Thousands and thousands of people have worked there since, all without ever having a parking spot. Same for the Hospital Trust old Building, the Tower, Textron, the Fleet Center and every building of signifigance downtown.

I worked for a company that was forced to move from the Hemenway's building when Brown took it over. When the corporation was looking at new buildings they were adament that it had to be in the city center. They wouldn't even consider a building near the Marriott which had parking, much to our chagrin, because we would have liked free parking Location is evidence of success and that still means a lot in the financial world - moreover, they wanted a place where execs could come into town, stay at a hotel within walking distance from the office, an hour our consel, city hall and the state house all be a quick walk away.
Yes I am talking about that same Superman building you are, the one that is now EMPTY and assessed at zero dollars now that the beloved B.O.A. has vacated. Another poster suggested those in their 20s and 30s now opting to give up their vehicles, and that is a point I disputed with a great level of confidence. Maybe Citizens will move in after all if they can be wood with enough welfare giveaways, but don't expect the employees of any age bracket to be cheering that on. Some may actually quit.

Quote:
PS - the Revolution have free parking in Foxboro, but they can't attract all the city dwellers of Boston who don't have a car. And they're putting their money on the line that it's worth moving to grow their base.
We'll see about that.

Have you ever been to a Pats game? Or one of the summer concerts there? Really???

Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yes I am talking about that same Superman building you are, the one that is now EMPTY and assessed at zero dollars now that the beloved B.O.A. has vacated. Another poster suggested those in their 20s and 30s now opting to give up their vehicles, and that is a point I disputed with a great level of confidence. Maybe Citizens will move in after all if they can be wood with enough welfare giveaways, but don't expect the employees of any age bracket to be cheering that on. Some may actually quit.

We'll see about that.

Have you ever been to a Pats game? Or one of the summer concerts there? Really???
Uh, MBTA runs trains from RI and Boston to the Pats games. Just so you know. Really!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Uh, MBTA runs trains from RI and Boston to the Pats games. Just so you know. Really!
They what???

Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 PM

^ Dontchaknow!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:35 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,187,421 times
Quote:

We'll see about that.

Yes, I've been to Gillette for concerts, Pats games and Revs games. What's your point?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
Quote:

We'll see about that.

great confidence? No with unopen eyes and the inability to accept someone else's opinion without feeling a need to negate it. One reason I and others decide not to respond to your childish rants. I had already accepted part of your premise and you feel an insecure need to press forward with your one and only one opinion. Talk to 20 or 30 year adults. Better yet procreate and have your own and then experience with them.
Many in the above age group do not want to fall into the experience their parents had and have chosen another direction. Sure if they live out here in Chepachet they will need a car, but those who choose to live in cities have chosen the larger ones rather than Providence because we cannot offer that complete package, but it is getting better for them in Providence. You seem to always need the last word, so get on with it before Casey deletes all or part of this post. You seem intelligent, but we won't know how you turn out until you grow up. Me, I am just getting old and think of you as a "young whipper snapper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island