Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM

52 posts, read 200,902 times

Advertisements

You'll find yourself in an encounter not unlike a German pow camp, where the prisoners are trying to see if the newcomer is a plant or a real GI... you'll get a hard stare as the Rhode Islander asks you what *seems* like an innocuous question, referencing some landmark that's been gone for thirty years. If you hesitate in the least recognizing what they mean, BAM... outsider! You'll be shunned immediately! LOL Well, actually if you have a stiff upper lip at first, you'll fit in eventually.... show you're decent person and you'll be accepted pretty easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,480,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKV View Post
You'll find yourself in an encounter not unlike a German pow camp, where the prisoners are trying to see if the newcomer is a plant or a real GI... you'll get a hard stare as the Rhode Islander asks you what *seems* like an innocuous question, referencing some landmark that's been gone for thirty years. If you hesitate in the least recognizing what they mean, BAM... outsider! You'll be shunned immediately! LOL Well, actually if you have a stiff upper lip at first, you'll fit in eventually.... show you're decent person and you'll be accepted pretty easily.

^^^ and that is only if they make eye contact, which is rare. They are reticent to look at other people in the eye for fear they may have to say "hello" with a smile. Sorry to say.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM

4,307 posts, read 3,141,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ and that is only if they make eye contact, which is rare. They are reticent to look at other people in the eye for fear they may have to say "hello" with a smile. Sorry to say.
So, what led you to change when you moved? Was it difficult?

Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,480,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So, what led you to change when you moved? Was it difficult?

Uh huh, you're showing your snarky side again there Sandra. Sorry that you can't help being that way.

I didn't have to change, have always been friendly, welcoming. Possibly because I always worked with people as a long term Realtor in RI, MA and NC; and specialized in working with folks from pretty much every state the country. Proud to say I still have wonderful friends in several RI towns, all over the country, and plenty of family in RI.

Found out, however, that people here in the south are not brash as some tend to be in the northeast. Not only native southerners either. People who move out of the northeast for a more gentile, less stressful, less expensive, relaxed lifestyle can't get over what they've been missing and usually assimilate very nicely.

One cannot appreciate what a laid back friendly lifestyle is until leaving the northeast.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM

This is why I have been trying to leave for almost ten years now. Lots of good things about New England, but it's the people are just a little too intense for me. Really, I'd like to enjoy life at every moment. Not fight and compete all week so I can take a few hours off from that competetiveness on the weekend. But that's just me.

Quote:
Uh huh, you're showing your snarky side again there Sandra. Sorry that you can't help being that way.

I didn't have to change, have always been friendly, welcoming. Possibly because I always worked with people as a long term Realtor in RI, MA and NC; and specialized in working with folks from pretty much every state the country. Proud to say I still have wonderful friends in several RI towns, all over the country, and plenty of family in RI.

Found out, however, that people here in the south are not brash as some tend to be in the northeast. Not only native southerners either. People who move out of the northeast for a more gentile, less stressful, less expensive, relaxed lifestyle can't get over what they've been missing and usually assimilate very nicely.

One cannot appreciate what a laid back friendly lifestyle is until leaving the northeast.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,868 times
Quote:
This is why I have been trying to leave for almost ten years now. Lots of good things about New England, but it's the people are just a little too intense for me. Really, I'd like to enjoy life at every moment. Not fight and compete all week so I can take a few hours off from that competetiveness on the weekend. But that's just me.
I enjoyed people while I was there, and made many friends, some who will be friends for life. But yes, there is a difference between people in the NorthEast and people in the South, or West, or MidWest, wherever. It's a cultural thing. Our country is so vast, that you can have different cultures living in different parts of the country, and, often, they will have little in common. Look at the different cultures in Europe. The French culture is entirely different than the German culture, although it's only 650 miles from Paris to Berlin (about the same as Providence to Cleveland).

People who settled in New England and stayed are going to be different than people who settled in Dallas, Los Angeles, or Chicago, and every part of the country has a unique way of life and pace.

Nicely, we are free to move about the country

Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM

what were those differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I enjoyed people while I was there, and made many friends, some who will be friends for life. But yes, there is a difference between people in the NorthEast and people in the South, or West, or MidWest, wherever. It's a cultural thing. Our country is so vast, that you can have different cultures living in different parts of the country, and, often, they will have little in common. Look at the different cultures in Europe. The French culture is entirely different than the German culture, although it's only 650 miles from Paris to Berlin (about the same as Providence to Cleveland).

People who settled in New England and stayed are going to be different than people who settled in Dallas, Los Angeles, or Chicago, and every part of the country has a unique way of life and pace.

Nicely, we are free to move about the country

Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM

367 posts, read 542,762 times
Quote:

I completely agree with you! I've lived in many places throughout the country and as much as I miss family and certain aspects of RI, the "rat race" culture of the entire northeast isn't one of them.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,868 times
Quote:
what were those differences?
I've found that New Englanders can be fiercely loyal and both family and ethno-centric. Some find them to be "cold", I find them to be "reserved", but once they are your friends, chances are they will be friends for life.

I've lived in the deep south (think Coal Miner's Daughter, as I lived in the "holler" where that was filmed), and found the people to be GENUINELY kind. As poor as the people were, they would split the last bit of pasta in the house with a total stranger.

I currently live outside Las Vegas, NV. People here are the friendliest that I've come across. I've only been here about a year and half, and have made over 100 friends that I could call at any time for any reason. However, many people outside of my group, while friendly, it can be superficial. Yes, everyone on the street or in the stores will say hello, offer a wave, or engage in a short chat, but it just as "deep", if that makes sense. Unlike, what I found in New England, none of our friends care what we do for a living, how much money we have, or what nationality we are. It isn't the "rat race" if you will.. much more laid back. I credit the weather for that. It's hard not to be happy with 320 days of bright sun a year.

I enjoyed each area, and those are just my personal thoughts about the people in each.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 PM

4,307 posts, read 3,141,193 times
Quote:

I didn't have to change, have always been friendly, welcoming. Possibly because I always worked with people as a long term Realtor in RI, MA and NC; and specialized in working with folks from pretty much every state the country.
I'm not being snarky at all You said that Rhode Islanders "are reticent to look at other people in the eye for fear they may have to say "hello" with a smile"

You were a Rhode Islander once so I assumed you were the same as those Rhode Islanders you paint with such broad strokes.

Nice to know that you recognize that not every person in the state is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island