Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You are right and I think that is what should happen. But it is not what will happen.

The branding opportunities are awesome: Narragansett Beer (throw in a local craft or three), Del's Lemonade, Coffee Milk, and Olneyville New York System wieners.
I agree with you with the branding opportunites. If the stadium were built in such a way that the eating venues were opened all year round, or at least longer than the baseball season, it would be a great opportunity to bring Iggy's or the return of Blounts into the city. Olneyville wieners, another local brew house, etc. I would dictate to Narraganset and Saugy's that you are only here if you return manufactoring of their products to Rhode Island. The restaurants could be set up on the Dyer Street side and become part of the walkable city that Providence is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I agree with you with the branding opportunites. If the stadium were built in such a way that the eating venues were opened all year round, or at least longer than the baseball season, it would be a great opportunity to bring Iggy's or the return of Blounts into the city. Olneyville wieners, another local brew house, etc. I would dictate to Narraganset and Saugy's that you are only here if you return manufactoring of their products to Rhode Island. The restaurants could be set up on the Dyer Street side and become part of the walkable city that Providence is.
Yeah, you have a couple of good additional brands there...

Fenway already sells Narragansett, so the ownership group already has a relationship. The city/state aren't really going to be able to hold 'Gansett hostage for building a brewery here. Though they absolutely should build it here! Unless of course the city/state were to give them a chunk of I-195 land too. I think Gansett was looking to to re-purpose an existing structure for a brewery.

Can I have a chunk of I-195 land, and a sweetheart tax deal? I promise to put it to good use!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm just very leery that we'll pay for it two or three times over. Once when we 'help' them build the stadium, twice if we give them a tax break, third when they raise the prices sky high. Hello, the owners of the Red Sox are not known for providing affordable family outings OR for helping area businesses - look how they've blocked outside vendors over the years by annexing Yawkey Way. They do a good job of providing a complete entertainment experience - for those who can afford to pay lots of money for it. I hope they're not overestimating the PawSox's potential as a "destination" for touristy Red Sox Nation and underestimating its attraction as inexpensive family entertainment for people who live here.
To your point, I saw this article about "Fenwaygate" and how the Red Sox took the city of Boston. If Boston wasn't smart enough to deal with Lucchino & co., what hope do Rhode Island's politcial "leaders" have? They need outside help!

This idea is more sizzle than steak.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
If they produce a nice urban stadium, people will make the trip down from Boston with their families, maybe even on the train.
They already are, and many will be turned off by having to drive all the way to Providence and have to deal with parking and all the BS...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM

367 posts, read 545,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They already are, and many will be turned off by having to drive all the way to Providence and have to deal with parking and all the BS...
I'm not sure about this. It's only an additional 7 miles or so for Boston drivers to continue on 95 South to Providence instead of exiting in Pawtucket.

Also, with the urban environment being more attractive for many people today, relocating the stadium to the city might draw more folks than you realize...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Many will, I agree. But how many might be smaller than you think. Some number. It's only another 8 minutes down the interstate.

There are lots of questions, not the least of which is how much are they going to ask us to give away to bring this downtown. They're being pretty quiet about that, probably gauging public reaction to determine how much they can take in to do this "for the state". If, only after all those questions are answered satisfactorily and this thing does go forward, people will get over the change. You can change, Rhode Island!

I think there will be a buzz that will draw new people in, maybe even tourists will make a swing down for a day or two on their week long trip to Boston that would not have come otherwise to make up those who swear it off forever. You know they'll schedule at least the occasional WaterFire to be coincident with a Saturday night home game. And that will be the true test of their transportation plan!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Many will, I agree. But how many might be smaller than you think. Some number. It's only another 8 minutes down the interstate.

There are lots of questions, not the least of which is how much are they going to ask us to give away to bring this downtown. They're being pretty quiet about that, probably gauging public reaction to determine how much they can take in to do this "for the state". If, only after all those questions are answered satisfactorily and this thing does go forward, people will get over the change. You can change, Rhode Island!

I think there will be a buzz that will draw new people in, maybe even tourists will make a swing down for a day or two on their week long trip to Boston that would not have come otherwise to make up those who swear it off forever. You know they'll schedule at least the occasional WaterFire to be coincident with a Saturday night home game. And that will be the true test of their transportation plan!
Depending on game time, it can be a lot longer than that.

Then there's parking. Enjoy the $40 minimum at Fenway? (unless you know the tricks, of course)..

I think the location is going to do more harm than good. As mentioned, in Pawtucket they had a HUGE attendance rate. Now, moving to Providence, they are going to build a stadium with the exact same seating and expect, what, people are going to watch from the parking lot? Oh wait, it's Providence, they'll have to pay to watch from the parking lot.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Depending on game time, it can be a lot longer than that.

Then there's parking. Enjoy the $40 minimum at Fenway? (unless you know the tricks, of course)..

I think the location is going to do more harm than good. As mentioned, in Pawtucket they had a HUGE attendance rate. Now, moving to Providence, they are going to build a stadium with the exact same seating and expect, what, people are going to watch from the parking lot? Oh wait, it's Providence, they'll have to pay to watch from the parking lot.
You say that like there is other economic activity driving the traffic...

I do keep reading/hearing that James Skeffington, president of the new ownership, is a pretty respectable guy. I googled him...

How do you like this angle: James Skeffington is the president of New England Parking, which operates parking lots in Providence already.

Here's a cute little bio on Mr. Skeffington. He's been involved in an awful lot of stuff. Highlights include the Economic Development Commission, The RI Convention Center, and the Providence Public Parking Authority. Hmmm.... I don't know the extent of his involvement in any of these things. Remind me what the EDC was later involved in, and does it involve Sox? Anyone else read the recent news about the RI Convention Center???

This is pretty interesting!

Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
You say that like there is other economic activity driving the traffic...

I do keep reading/hearing that James Skeffington, president of the new ownership, is a pretty respectable guy. I googled him...

How do you like this angle: James Skeffington is the president of New England Parking, which operates parking lots in Providence already.

Here's a cute little bio on Mr. Skeffington. He's been involved in an awful lot of stuff. Highlights include the Economic Development Commission, The RI Convention Center, and the Providence Public Parking Authority. Hmmm.... I don't know the extent of his involvement in any of these things. Remind me what the EDC was later involved in, and does it involve Sox? Anyone else read the recent news about the RI Convention Center???

This is pretty interesting!
Makes more sense now.. Jeez, what a twisted story..

Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
How is this any different than what Providence folk deal with to go to Fenway? Take the train, anything else is stupid. Someone pointed out to me today that going to McCoy was never really that easy anyway, because when's the last time anyone managed to get a spot in the parking lot? No matter how early I go, it's always already full! So you were left doing the same thing you'd be doing in Providence - circling for a spot or paying for parking.

I really don't think a significant number of people are driving down from Boston for the PawSox. I did hear another reason today why management wants the move to Providence the players want it. There's nothing for them to do in Pawtucket and a lot of them live in Providence. Evidently the visiting teams make the same complaint.

Though obviously I think it's being done less out of concern for the players and more out of the wish to be where there's more money. All those car-less Brown, RISD, J&W students, East Siders with young families and thick wallets and downtown urbanites are within walking distance of the stadium. They can't help but notice the place and think about going to a game. You know if they continue with the bbq tent, it will be a popular after work destination for downcity workers. I'm sure they're thinking it will be easy to sell luxury suites to Edwards & Angell or JPMorgan if the stadium is in Providence - and you know, they're right.

I'm torn. I feel bad for Pawtucket and I don't like (or trust) the Red Sox management but I'm starting to get a little excited about the idea. I already see one plus to this park - it's not facing west so that you're blinded by the sun for the first three innings, like you are in Pawtucket when you sit on the first base line for a night game. Hopefully, they can manage to put in a press box that doesn't obstruct viewing. It would be nice to sit closer to the field rather than above it, like at McCoy. It would be nice to have somewhere nearby to go for dinner or a drink. (Ever been to that Chinese restaurant across from McCoy? Scary!)

All I know is that these guys all must have their hands on the same research - because the Revs are another team that already has a place to play, with plenty of parking but they are determined to move to the city because they believe that's where their future lies. I guess it has to do with the movement of the younger generations back towards the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island