Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It may be inflated. I don't know, but that's the number being thrown around.
You are right, that is the number being thrown around. I simply urge you to consider the source of the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:03 AM

48 posts, read 23,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The State and City kick in a total of $38 million, plus $14 million debt service, for a total of $52 million. At $2 million a year, that's 26 years before the break even point on the public investment - by which point it will be an old stadium and already several years past the next threat of more $$$ or we move to Worcester.
LOL, excellent point. So true. But, hey, we get to tell our grandkids that we saw INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE get in the box, adjust his cup and hit a 3 run dingaaaahhhh into the Pawtucket night! Good times. Meanwhile, hard workin' Joe and Sally are paying thru their nose in increased property taxes on their 1970 2 bedroom shack just so they can help keep the crack of the bats goin 72 nights a year. Unreal.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Even if the renovation costs are inflated, McCoy is apparently still in need of renovations that don't make sense financially. It's not profitable due to the location. Spend all that money on renovations and you gain nothing. It's throwing away money.

The Pawtucket Apex plan is expected to revitalize downtown and be very profitable. Ditto with the Worcester Canal District plan.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workin247 View Post
Lil Rhody
I've never heard anyone from RI say that. Return of Planetoid?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM

48 posts, read 23,133 times
Quote:
I've never heard anyone from RI say that. Return of Planetoid?
Well, now you have. I've lived here my whole life and that's what I call it and I don't say it as a flattering remark either. I laugh at this state and call it lil rhody to anyone that asks me about it. Small time. Mickey mouse. Minor league lol. That's what this state is unfortunately. Maybe they will smarten up some day. One can hope.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:07 PM

mp775, you're a baseball fan and you live in Pawtucket. I don't understand why you'd be against a new ballpark in Pawtucket. I realize that you'd prefer they stay at McCoy, but is that even an option at this point? It doesn't seem to be.

Hasn't your city gone downhill enough? Wouldn't you like to see a new and vibrant scene downtown?

Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM

198 posts, read 150,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I read what you wrote. It's wrong.

Do I think government should not subsidize professional sports teams? Yes. 100% yes.
so you think we should throw out the Providence Bruins and close The Dunk?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
mp775, you're a baseball fan and you live in Pawtucket. I don't understand why you'd be against a new ballpark in Pawtucket. I realize that you'd prefer they stay at McCoy, but is that even an option at this point? It doesn't seem to be.

Hasn't your city gone downhill enough? Wouldn't you like to see a new and vibrant scene downtown?
If nobody comes up with a handout, staying at McCoy is the only option.

McCoy is a great ballpark and it would be my first choice to retain it, but I'm not entirely opposed to a new ballpark. Of the three sites in Pawtucket originally pitched, I thought the Morley Field site was the only viable option: it's on the R Line, close to Hope Artiste Village and underutilized commercial properties on North Main Street, and it would fit into the area instead of dominating it.

I've lived in Pawtucket for 23 of the last 35 years. It's definitely on the upswing, and a new commuter rail station and the right residential and commercial development will do wonders for making downtown vibrant every day instead of only on game days. Retail frontages will make Main Street more vibrant than the backside of a phony Green Monster. A mixed use waterfront development at 45 Division Street is more vibrant than acres of surface parking all the way to Festival Pier. Etc.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
This is incorrect. The size/intimacy is one of the reasons it's so successful.

0/829 in your posts.

It has been only successful because the teams have had had an extremely good run. Fiscally, it's overall not a good stadium and the amenities and comfort absolutely stink.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
I never had issue with the comfort or amenities. It's minor league folks! While McCoy's attendance is at or near the top for AAA, I'm not aware of them ever selling out. That to me says the capacity is fine in its current state. Give it a fresh coat of paint and call it a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island