Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I'm not sure if this is anything more than a perfunctory act of due diligence. A move to Worcester is on the table and they would look foolish if someone else registered the trademark first.

It may not end up meaning much but it is another sign that Worcester is a very viable option for a move. People who think that there is no chance the team will leave with Worcester just being leverage have not been paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It may not end up meaning much but it is another sign that Worcester is a very viable option for a move. People who think that there is no chance the team will leave with Worcester just being leverage have not been paying attention.
It could be that it is a sign that the PawSox are seriously considering Worcester, or it could be another effort to make it look like they're seriously considering Worcester. It's difficult to tell the difference.

Again, I think we've already offered too much. At this point, if they leave, so be it and good luck to them. If they leave, I won't ever attend another game. Obviously that doesn't mean much to them.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that Lucchino is also a villain. I have never liked nor trutsted him.

As for your assertion that a vast majority state taxpayers oppose funding of the ballpark, could you please provide a source for this. Was there some statewide vote with overwhelming results I am not aware of? Mattiello has often referred to a golocalprov poll which has zero credibility. Any poll on that site is a joke.
While I don't think much of golocalprov, the pollster they used seems to be legit. I don't think you can summarily dismiss the poll as having "zero credibility."

Just 13 percent of Rhode Islanders "strongly support" new PawSox stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLocalProv
A new poll conducted John Della Volpe, Director of Polling at Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics finds that just thirteen percent of Rhode Islanders “strongly support” giving public funds for a new PawSox stadium.

Both polls find that the vast majority of Rhode Islanders do not want to use public money to support a private stadium.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
While I don't think much of golocalprov, the pollster they used seems to be legit. I don't think you can summarily dismiss the poll as having "zero credibility."

Even if only 13% "strongly support", that doesn't mean 87% oppose. There must have been other options.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 PM

Heard from some people in the know that the odds now favor the team leaving RI after a 50 year run. PawSox ownership had still been generally receptive to staying up until Mattiello modified the initial Senate bill making borrowing much more expensive. This person also noted that Governor Raimondo has been a disappointment as she has not done much heavy lifting to lead the effort to keep the team. Many of the so called leaders of RI called the team's possible move a bluff and it looks like they were the ones that got fooled. It will be a sad day when they leaves town and people will not realize what was lost until they are gone. The blame for all this, should it go down as is currently expected, is mainly on Mattiello and his house minions. The Governor however shares some blame for failing to take a strong lead in guiding the process.

I hope that the residents of Pawtucket take notice of the recent failures of state politicians to aid the city in keeping two of its more notable assets - Memorial Hospital and the Pawtucket Red Sox. Two very large facilities a few blocks apart on Pond Street will soon be empty. It will be very difficult to find new uses for these as both were built for specific purposes. The citizens of Pawtucket should hold state politicians accountable for not helping their city keep these institutions. All State rep candidates in the city should be made to declare their choice for Speaker. If they support Mattiello, they should not be elected. Pawtucket residents should also consider what to do with their vote for Governor. Raimondo did not provide the needed leadership and all the other major candidates opposed helping to keep the PawSox in RI. Perhaps they should vote for a write-in candidate to send a message and voice their unhappiness.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I don't give value to anything associated with GoLocalProv. It lacks all credibility as far as I am concerned. Most of their articles do not even attribute named authors.

This reputable RI based pollster which WPRI has used for decades had a far different finding:

A majority of Rhode Islanders support the construction of a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox, according to the results of an independent survey conducted by Cumberland-based market research agency Fleming & Associates.

The survey’s results demonstrate that 56 percent of Rhode Island voters support (41 percent oppose) the proposed Pawtucket ballpark.

Survey says: Most Rhode Islanders want to keep PawSox in state | The Valley Breeze

Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Even if only 13% "strongly support", that doesn't mean 87% oppose. There must have been other options.
There were other options. You had to click through the dreadful GoLocalProv to find it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLocalProv
PawSox

Q26: The Rhode Island General Assembly is in the process of negotiating a $40 million public financing deal with the Pawtucket Red Sox for a new stadium, hoping to bring a vote before the House and Senate this summer.

In general, do you favor or oppose the use of public funds to help finance a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox?

Net: Favor.......................................... 33%
Strongly favor...................................... 13%
Somewhat favor.................................. 21%

Net: Oppose....................................... 59%
Somewhat oppose.............................. 21%
Strongly oppose.................................. 38%

Don't know.......................................... 8%

Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't give value to anything associated with GoLocalProv. It lacks all credibility as far as I am concerned. Most of their articles do not even attribute named authors.

This reputable RI based pollster which WPRI has used for decades had a far different finding:

A majority of Rhode Islanders support the construction of a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox, according to the results of an independent survey conducted by Cumberland-based market research agency Fleming & Associates.

The survey’s results demonstrate that 56 percent of Rhode Island voters support (41 percent oppose) the proposed Pawtucket ballpark.

Survey says: Most Rhode Islanders want to keep PawSox in state | The Valley Breeze
It was not really an independent survey; it was paid for by construction unions looking to land the job of building a stadium. And it presents a different picture than the Valley Breeze alleges. Try this from WPRI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRI.com
A new poll commissioned by a union group that supports the PawSox stadium proposal has good news and bad news for ballpark backers.The bad news for them: the survey of 425 registered Rhode Island voters found 53% oppose using taxpayer money to build a new stadium for the minor-league team, as PawSox executives and some elected officials want.
The good news for them: 56% of voters said they would support the stadium if taxpayers' share is covered with revenue generated by the stadium, and 58% said they would support the stadium if the alternative is losing roughly $2 million in annual tax revenue generated by the team's current home, McCoy Stadium.
There's zero chance the stadium will generate enough revenue from the "Super TIF" in the first decade to cover the nut. That leaves the city/state to step in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBreeze
The survey was conducted by phone and sought responses from the “youngest person of voting age who is currently at home.”
LOL! Nice technique there Joe Fleming! And you trust that poll?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 AM

You cast aspersions on the Fleming Associates poll given who commissioned it yet have no reservations about Golocalprov "partnering" with a firm? From my past experience, nothing put forth by GolocalProv is done so without an agenda. It masquerades as journalism but is far from it. It merely puts forth pieces with no named authors standing behind them to stir up controversy and attract click baits to its website (it derives its revenues from advertisers based on its web traffic). It has zero credibility. Its poll therefore has no more gravitas from my vantage point.

The recent revelations that GoLocalProv, owned by a former Providence City Councilor, got a cushy no bid contract to list notices for the City of Providence also further casts more aspersions on its integrity.

Last edited by MMS02760; 08-05-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 09:08 PM

22 posts, read 12,901 times
Do you have a link to Fleming's poll questions? Cross tabs?

Aside from that, this debate seems to break along these lines:
Builders: Keeping the team is a good deal. You might not like it, but we have to meet their ask; that's just how the game is played.
Skeptics: It isn't a good deal. We don't like it, and we'd rather they walk than play this game.

I'd love for the PawSox to stay, but we've already put too much on the table. If it isn't enough, let them go to Worcester. If that happens, the residents of Pawtucket will eventually (might take a decade) realize they dodged a bullet. As for the RI political leaders you name, they won't suffer much blowback. Given the state's level of need in several critical areas (to say nothing of the declining interest in baseball in the US), it will be easy to tell this as a story of ownership greed. RI and Pawtucket made the team a generous offer.

Hell, if Pawtucket really wants to be visionary and still throw a lot of public money at a sports team for their redevelopment anchor, they can take a run at building the Revolution a stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island