Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Furthermore, many Pawsox officials are on record having said if that deal was closed last year, they would have stayed in RI.
They are also on record saying staying in Pawtucket was never on the table. They are on record saying they will stay at McCoy through the end of their lease, even though it has been reported that Lucchino is evaluating Fitton Field as a temporary home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
They are also on record saying staying in Pawtucket was never on the table. They are on record saying they will stay at McCoy through the end of their lease, even though it has been reported that Lucchino is evaluating Fitton Field as a temporary home.

No - that statement was never made. They only stated staying at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket was never on the table. They were in negotiations for a new stadium on the Apex site in downtown Pawtucket if the terms were acceptable.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
No - that statement was never made. They only stated staying at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket was never on the table. They were in negotiations for a new stadium on the Apex site in downtown Pawtucket if the terms were acceptable.

I seem to recall the team saying that staying in Pawtucket was never an option, though maybe what they meant was staying at McCoy was not an option. But I'm pretty sure Skeffington had "ruled out" Pawtucket as a cudgel to advance the Providence deal.

That changed when the Providence deal died.

Quote:
Pawtucket Red Sox chairman Larry Lucchino put Pawtucket back on the table as a future home for the team on Monday, after owners spent months saying it was moving elsewhere and would not consider staying in the city.

Last edited by ormari; 08-22-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 12:55 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times
Kraft won't move to RI. He's doing it for leverage in Boston. Remember when he was going to "move" to Hartford? He is a total D-bag.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
I disagree. Worcester would not have had a year to line up all its ducks to put together its proposal. Furthermore, many Pawsox officials are on record having said if that deal was closed last year, they would have stayed in RI.
I think you're reading too much into what the team officials were saying. They will say anything to better suite their interests. The point is that there are too many variables to definitively make the statement you're making. You might be right. You might also be wrong. The team officials have a track record of flip-flopping on statements they've made.

Maybe they would have stayed if everything was lined up a year ago. Or maybe the team would take the complete deal and throw it to Worcester (and maybe even Providence) as leverage to get more out of another municipality. Worcester could have just as easily made a similar pitch to what they offered without having everything set in stone. The didn't need to "have their ducks lined up." Cities do this all the time. Boston's entire winning Olympic bid centered on offering privately owned land that the city hadn't even discussed with the owners, let alone get into logistics.

TL/DR A deal last year guaranteed nothing. In fact, if Pawtucket or Providence and RI were to come back and make the Pawsox a better offer than Worcester, the team would likely pull out of the Worcester deal (though I don't see this happening) in spite of the fact that the team is "on record" as committing to Worcester.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/PatrickAnderso_/...90393713520641

I hope Pawtucket does not move on this site if it does not have concrete shovel ready plans in place. Keep it on the tax rolls until then. Furthermore, the longer it sits there vastly underutilized along with all these other Pawtucket businesses (Pawsox/Memorial Hospital/Gamm) exiting the city, its probable realistic purchase price will continue to drop.

I saw this mentioned several times today. Pawtucket absolutely is trying to acquire the Apex site now. They were saying that they need that land for Pawtucket to move forward. And then Gina came on and said something like "a minor league team does not make Pawtucket" in a condescending way. I found her tone disgusting.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
They are on record saying they will stay at McCoy through the end of their lease, even though it has been reported that Lucchino is evaluating Fitton Field as a temporary home.

No, they will stay at McCoy for 2019 and 2020. They said that during the press conference last week.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Would you rather the stadium remain there not being used and further decaying? I don't think there will be a lot of options for the site. If no sports team moves in, what other use is there?

Concerts. They could turn it into an amphitheater like Great Woods err Xfinity or whatever it's called now.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:06 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think you're reading too much into what the team officials were saying. They will say anything to better suite their interests. The point is that there are too many variables to definitively make the statement you're making. You might be right. You might also be wrong. The team officials have a track record of flip-flopping on statements they've made.

Maybe they would have stayed if everything was lined up a year ago. Or maybe the team would take the complete deal and throw it to Worcester (and maybe even Providence) as leverage to get more out of another municipality. Worcester could have just as easily made a similar pitch to what they offered without having everything set in stone. The didn't need to "have their ducks lined up." Cities do this all the time. Boston's entire winning Olympic bid centered on offering privately owned land that the city hadn't even discussed with the owners, let alone get into logistics.

TL/DR A deal last year guaranteed nothing. In fact, if Pawtucket or Providence and RI were to come back and make the Pawsox a better offer than Worcester, the team would likely pull out of the Worcester deal (though I don't see this happening) in spite of the fact that the team is "on record" as committing to Worcester.
I agree that the team's attitude can change with the dynamics of the deal.

Whether Pawtucket could make a better offer than Worcester, or even sweeten the one they had made before so that Pawtucket was more attractive on balance, and have it accepted by the team, would depend in large part on any binding legal agreements the team may have made with Worcester. The team has signed a Letter of Intent with Worcester to relocate to the Canal District. I don't know how binding the letter of intent is, but they might be locked in if Worcester meets the terms of the agreement (unless they could find a way to break the agreement...). It's tough to know without seeing the LOI, and it is certainly a long shot as I am sure you agree.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:20 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No, they will stay at McCoy for 2019 and 2020. They said that during the press conference last week.
That's my point; "they said that" means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island