Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't know what to do with McCoy, but I really don't want to see it torn down.
Rhode Island doesn't need baseball, it's not that kind of a state. Nor does Pawtucket. What both need desperately is jobs. And not of the low paying seasonal variety. Let go of nostalgia, bulldoze the albatross and leave baseball to Boston and San Francisco. Then pull out all the stops to attract a successful business. Yes it's a major longshot, but the time and energy spent looking for another sports team to provide entertainment would be far better spent searching for a company to provide survival. I'm trying to help you people but you've got to provide your own common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 09:55 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
It is rather amusing reading some of the posts here lauding Speaker Mattiello for "protecting" RI taxpayers. It seems that is not really his main overall objective based on his current support for a bill to supersede federal law on OT pay and greatly add to firefighter costs around the state. He had a house underling introduce this bill and it is advancing at great speed through the house (unlike any bill he does not approve of ). Mattiello was not against the Pawsox stadium in order to protect RI taxpayers. If that was truly the case, he would never had been in favor of the earlier Providence stadium proposal that was far more costly for RI taxpayers. The real truth is that Speaker Mattiello acts only for his own personal interests. The Pawtucket ballpark bill did not benefit him in any way so he worked to make certain it never happened.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It is rather amusing reading some of the posts here lauding Speaker Mattiello for "protecting" RI taxpayers. It seems that is not really his main overall objective based on his current support for a bill to supersede federal law on OT pay and greatly add to firefighter costs around the state. He had a house underling introduce this bill and it is advancing at great speed through the house (unlike any bill he does not approve of ). Mattiello was not against the Pawsox stadium in order to protect RI taxpayers. If that was truly the case, he would never had been in favor of the earlier Providence stadium proposal that was far more costly for RI taxpayers. The real truth is that Speaker Mattiello acts only for his own personal interests. The Pawtucket ballpark bill did not benefit him in any way so he worked to make certain it never happened.
That the self-serving is so obvious speaks to the corruption baked into the cake in RI. Scarcely no attempt is made to hide it. It's open with only slight pretense of non-corrupt intent. Given he's the speaker, the behavior also has to have the approval of the majority of our legislative body, certainly in the house.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:44 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Rhode Island doesn't need baseball, it's not that kind of a state.
Quote:
leave baseball to Boston and San Francisco.

Pure nonsense.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:51 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Judging the stadium deal in isolation, how much does it matter if it was Mattiello's main objective to protect the taxpayers or if it was a side effect? Political spin aside, he bowed to the political winds. While he was initially for the Providence deal, that was before citizen backlash. It's not a perfect triumph of tax payer interests over special interests, but it's a start.

I agree that his fire fighter OT bills are damaging to tax payers; citizens of RI should call the speaker to complain.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Rhode Island doesn't need baseball, it's not that kind of a state. Nor does Pawtucket. What both need desperately is jobs. And not of the low paying seasonal variety. Let go of nostalgia, bulldoze the albatross and leave baseball to Boston and San Francisco. Then pull out all the stops to attract a successful business. Yes it's a major longshot, but the time and energy spent looking for another sports team to provide entertainment would be far better spent searching for a company to provide survival. I'm trying to help you people but you've got to provide your own common sense.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, and you aren't going to attract good jobs without cultural resources for the employees to enjoy. Good jobs belong downtown and in Narragansett Park; baseball belongs at McCoy.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Roger Clemens will be inducted into the PawSox Hall of Fame on June 21.

Quote:
The team is also selling limited tickets ($40 for adults, $25 for children 12 years or younger) to a meet-and-greet with Clemens before the game. The event, which includes all-you-can-eat barbecue and admission to the game, begins at 5:45 p.m. in the Shady Pines area of the White BBQ tent at the stadium. Clemens is also expected to be available for photographs with regular ticket holders in the ballpark’s main concourse from 7:45 to 8:30 p.m.
https://www.boston.com/sports/sports...x-hall-of-fame

Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 AM

5,203 posts, read 6,142,795 times
I was never a baseball fan, I was a fan of the Red Sox only because I watched generations of family and friends suffer in agony each year long before they finally broke their jinx.

With that being said after living in RI for thirty years and moving away, one summer in 2006 I believe, I was with a buddy attending a school in Newport. He was a baseball nut and a Cubs fan. I decided to take him to a Pawsox game. This would be my first time also. We enjoyed the heck out of it and he was thrilled to recognize a few major leaguers on both teams that were rehabbing. Both dugouts had buckets with ropes on them and the players were signing everything and anything the kids would pass down to them.

I had a good time and he enjoyed the heck out of it.

We have the Jumbo Shrimp here in Jacksonville and even with the heat during the summer it is pretty popular with family’s. They have have give away nights, fireworks after the games and let the kids run the bases.

Again I never went to the Pawox games growing up but I know it was extremely popular.

Sounds like a great way to spend the night with Clemens.

It is a shame when politics and big money gets involved in hometown sports. We have a state of the art NFL stadium here in Jacksonville, Florida but the city has paid royally to appease the the team owner paying for everything he desires and we still lack a winning season

Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 AM

198 posts, read 150,788 times
[quote=redplum33;55373892]Roger Clemens will be inducted into the PawSox Hall of Fame on June 21.

https://www.boston.com/sports/sports...x-hall-of-fame[/QUOTE

losing all of this memorabilia to Worcester is really the most upsetting thing about the move. Pictures of former Pawsox greats will all be moved as part of the AAA Franchise rather than an acknowledge of the location it took place.

The team will become a footnote in history. Who remembers the Louisville Bats?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
Who remembers the Louisville Bats?
Do you mean the Colonels? The Bats are the Reds' current AAA team; Pawtucket is playing there the next three days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island