Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times

Advertisements

Wow. That's all I can say - Wow. This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. If I understand this right, she wants to tax Obamacare recipients (and others) to help pay for the premium subsidies that the state exchange pays for Obamacare recipients??

Raimondo defends proposed tax on health insurance premiums - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Wow. That's all I can say - Wow. This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. If I understand this right, she wants to tax Obamacare recipients (and others) to help pay for the premium subsidies that the state exchange pays for Obamacare recipients??

Raimondo defends proposed tax on health insurance premiums - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just not how I read it. It seems that the exchange -- which serves only 30,000 subscribers, costs $30.9 million to operate. This has nothing to do with paying subsidies, it has everything to do with running... e-commerce servers. Now, how can it be that it costs in excess of $1,000 per subscriber to simply enroll a person in the federal health plan? Maybe Amazon.com should be given the contract...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projo
Targeted to take effect in January 2016, the premium surcharge that Raimondo proposes would raise an initial $6.2 million of the $30.9 million the Raimondo administration is proposing to spend during the year that begins on July 1 to operate the state's “health-insurance marketplace’’ over the next year.
What next? Taxing medical visits, or prescription drugs?

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 03-15-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 PM

548 posts, read 815,981 times
Good point, Alfie.

I'm sure some of it is driven by the ACA regulations -- probably there has to be 24/7 live tech support, god knows how many compliance and performance reports submitted to HHS, meeting HIPPA requirements, and because it ties into so many other systems, probably a lot of code maintenance to keep up with changes made by external partners.

Even so, that does sound like a lot, and is yet another example of how RI is hurt by scale: too small at the state level, and too much devolved down to too many towns that are too small in size. There are plenty of places in the US where you would have one police chief and one fire chief for a population of a million, operating under a single pension system.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:00 PM

^ Great points about compliance.

Why isn't there any competition in this state? I run my own consulting practice, so I have an individual plan outside of the exchange. I can choose any flavor of insurance I want -- any flavor at all, so long as it's Blue Cross.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
^ That's a good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with this:

Board to consider pension for Martineau, former House leader convicted of corruption

Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM

^ Thanks -- very disgusting and just what one would expect, though it appears the man is in a world of hurt due to his actions.

On the flip side, I wonder if health insurance providers like Tufts don't want to enter the individual market in RI because of pay to play?

As to this fee Wall Street Gina wants to impose? Hey, I didn't buy through the exchange, so why should I have to pay for it? And if this state wishes to encourage entrepreneurship, why hit guys like me who are hustling to expand? Why tax individual plans but not corporate ones? Gina does what her leash-holding hedge fund masters say. Creep. She's really a creep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island