Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times

Advertisements

^ I for one am for a diversity of vinegars with fries: sometimes malt, sometimes apple cider, sometimes white. I've never tried red wine vinegar with fries but I'm willing to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
then you have missed the traditional vinegar of Rhode Island for fries. White vinegar has always been the way to go for french fries here. Whether at a weiner joint, the drive-in movies or any type of diner/restaurant. Malt came in later for those out of towners or Maryland/Virginia residents who never had white vinegar on their fries as they do in Eastern New England. Ketchup was always the Connecticut way. Or if you are in Utah that ketchup-mayo mix they use on fries. Locally white vinegar
I think if you search the web, you'll find that lots of places will claim white vinegar, including Quebec and Ontario, and some seem to think malt vinegar is a British influence. I think Sandsonik is a native so maybe traditional vinegar type varies hyper-locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 03:30 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
^ I for one am for a diversity of vinegars with fries: sometimes malt, sometimes apple cider, sometimes white. I've never tried red wine vinegar with fries but I'm willing to try it.

I think if you search the web, you'll find that lots of places will claim white vinegar, including Quebec and Ontario, and some seem to think malt vinegar is a British influence. I think Sandsonik is a native so maybe traditional vinegar type varies hyper-locally.
It is the Quebec influence that brought white vinegar to RI. Some areas of NE use malt vinegar on the fries, which I assume came over from Britain/Ireland where they are also known for that.

Sadly, it's not as popular anywhere as it once was.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It is the Quebec influence that brought white vinegar to RI. Some areas of NE use malt vinegar on the fries, which I assume came over from Britain/Ireland where they are also known for that.

Sadly, it's not as popular anywhere as it once was.
that makes sense with the accountability for both white and malt. The English influence in the Boston area and the Baltimore to Norfolk area. It is one of the reasons I like 5 Guys, they provide malt vinegar as they were founded in the Baltimore/Washington area. Try asking for vinegar in the rest of the country and they will ask why do you need vinegar? They will bring any assortment to you. Sometimes on a plate? It is a good way to confuse the server!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
that makes sense with the accountability for both white and malt. The English influence in the Boston area and the Baltimore to Norfolk area. It is one of the reasons I like 5 Guys, they provide malt vinegar as they were founded in the Baltimore/Washington area. Try asking for vinegar in the rest of the country and they will ask why do you need vinegar? They will bring any assortment to you. Sometimes on a plate? It is a good way to confuse the server!
This is not entirely true: the McMenamins chain of brewpubs in Portland Oregon has malt vinegar at every table, or did when I was last there, to go along with their fries. It's where I first picked up the habit.

Here's an article that has something to say about French fries and vinegar usage... This article asserts it's malt vinegar in Rhode Island.

Last edited by ormari; 03-19-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
It is one of the reasons I like 5 Guys, they provide malt vinegar as they were founded in the Baltimore/Washington area.
Happened upon Five Guys recently, and was very disappointed. I could swear the burger sizes have shrunk in half since the last time I ate there (maybe a year ago); yet still over $13 for a burger, fries and drink. Even the small fry (while still quite large), is not quite what it used to be. The malt vinegar was the one saving grace...

Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Take a ride to Mohegan and try BBP (Bobby's Burger Palace). My favorite (until my last doctor's checkup) was the Black 'n Blue Burger, but my wife swears by the Crunch Burger. Reasonably priced, and, hands down, the best burger I've ever had. You will thank me for this suggestion, trust me

And regarding vinegar, my wife is French Canadian (West Warwick, of course), and always used malt instead of white vinegar on fries. I, also, prefer malt. Maybe it's a family to family thing. I had never heard of putting vinegar on fries growing up in California. Now I don't eat them without! Heading to Utah for a concert in a couple weeks, and will definitely be partaking of "fry sauce"..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Take a ride to Mohegan and try BBP (Bobby's Burger Palace). My favorite (until my last doctor's checkup) was the Black 'n Blue Burger, but my wife swears by the Crunch Burger. Reasonably priced, and, hands down, the best burger I've ever had. You will thank me for this suggestion, trust me

And regarding vinegar, my wife is French Canadian (West Warwick, of course), and always used malt instead of white vinegar on fries. I, also, prefer malt. Maybe it's a family to family thing. I had never heard of putting vinegar on fries growing up in California. Now I don't eat them without! Heading to Utah for a concert in a couple weeks, and will definitely be partaking of "fry sauce"..

Your wife is a wise woman.

I disagree with the idea that it's either/or with regard to ketchup and vinegar. All are welcome to the fry party!

But then I also like ketchup on the fish portion of my fish and chips and that's probably not cool with a lot of people either. When I was a kid, I was grossed out by tartar sauce. I'm ok with it now but the ketchup habit dies hard.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 AM

211 posts, read 340,880 times
I'm not from Rhode Island, so to me this topic was going to be about the New York System of imprisonment (aka Auburn System). It got weird real quick for me...

Old 03-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

But then I also like ketchup on the fish portion of my fish and chips
Now that's where I draw the line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island