Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,982,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I don't think that is quite right. non-resident property owners do in fact benefit from state services. There are state roads, there are state police, there's the airport, there are dollars spent drawing tourists in (for those non-resident owners who are trying to make some rental money, for instance). There's even the governmental structure itself which is of some value even to a non-resident property owner. You can complain about the inefficiencies of course, but every person who steps foot in the state or owns property in the state does get something in return for whatever dollars the state collects. How much value they get for their dollar is a different story.

Further, when you buy a property in a community, it does not exist in a vacuum. Services such as education bolster communities. Imagine that the state stopped investing entirely in any of those state services. The value and desirability of those +$1M properties would drop.
I am referring to the meals and beds taxes local communities are forced to charge. The RI communities don't see any of those $$$ returned. Whereas communities on Cape Cod which charge additional meals and beds taxes do get a large percentage of them back from the Commonwealth to help support the tourist infrastructure and to help alleviate the tax burden on the Cape property owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,670,438 times
I see. But I still think the tourists and the towns they visit get something from the cash they're compelled to pay. State government does serve a purpose, and I rattled off a very incomplete list.

Who funded the visitors center in Newport? Was that the state?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,583,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Raimondo.
Neither did, what, 63% of us ?

Rhode Island... the state with a Governoress 63% of the public directly voted against.
an icon of democracy !

Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,670,438 times
^Why is that surprising, when the race is expanded beyond the dysfunctional two party status quo? Is it really a problem that there wasn't a majority in support of Raimondo? What if Fung had won with 37% of the vote? Would you feel the same way?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I see. But I still think the tourists and the towns they visit get something from the cash they're compelled to pay. State government does serve a purpose, and I rattled off a very incomplete list.

Who funded the visitors center in Newport? Was that the state?
You have to go back to 1973 when the destroyer base was relocated plunging Newport into dire straights. We now call what happened to Newport as BRAC Realignment.....there really wasn't a name then. Businesses closed, property values tumbled to the basement, population declined. IRS called my father in for an audit because of the losses he was showing on his rental property. Boy... was he the wrong person to audit.....a retired Navy captain! And yes, he was allowed the losses.

The Feds paid for the redevelopment of the downtown area......the waterfront as it is now... with America's Cup Avenue..........didn't exist.

The area to the north of the Visitor's Center Building where the buses pull in.....is now owned by the State. It wasn't always. Mass Mutual owns the Marriott Hotel building............and I'll have to pull the Chain of Titles for the rest of the property from Long Wharf north as the plat maps I have haven't been updated by the City in eons....and it's been chopped and subdivided many times.

Of note, Broadway, in Newport..............it's a State road.........in dire need of repair. The State has gotten Federal highway funds for part of the project, but Newport has had to loan the State, $1.3 million to get it done.. with a promised payback from the State within 2 years. Project is/was supposed to start this April. We'll see.

The work which had/had been going on at the Gateway center........has been funded by Newport's Sandy money from the Feds.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 PM

Chain of Title for the Newport Visitor's center.

Old Colony RR
Penn Central RR
State of Rhode Island
Deckelbaum, Margolis & Margolis
Newport Realty (no stamps)
City of Newport

Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,178,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Of note, Broadway, in Newport..............it's a State road.........in dire need of repair. The State has gotten Federal highway funds for part of the project, but Newport has had to loan the State, $1.3 million to get it done.. with a promised payback from the State within 2 years. Project is/was supposed to start this April. We'll see.
Broadway is a City street, not State. The reconstruction is a Federal Aid project, which is administered by the State, and the State agreed to cover the 20 percent matching funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island