Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So much also depends on their peer group(s). The Attleboro school system is very sports oriented also, which makes a big difference.
Are you sure you're not confusing Attleboro with North Attleborough? Because North schools are decent and that's a big sports school.

The few people I've known from Attleboro, whether Catholic or not, have sent their kids to Bishop Feehan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM

23,562 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Anecdotal stories are just that. For all we know, they could be graduating from the University of Phoenix.

Facts are what count and what do the facts say about Attleboro? Not Much. The same (and probably better -- hopefully better) could be said of students in Central Falls or inner-city PVD by hundreds and hundreds of highly incented students.

Try to stay on topic and proffer facts that will help the OP, not "stories" that do not.
That is where you are far off. You see, personal experience (or the experience of family or whatever) IS data and valuable information for others who might be seeking it. That is what this forum is for. Anyone can google the statistics on something, but REAL LIFE experience shows you a whole other world of perspective that cannot be demonstrated on a data sheet. Just because you have no personal knowledge (like you admittedly don't on Providence, even though you curiously spend endless hours posting about it); does not mean others don't have subject matter that is valuable to other readers, and cannot be obtained by looking at a list of "rankings".

Speaking of rankings, this is interesting:

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

We all know that RI is very subpar as far as public education goes in comparison to surrounding states like MA. But to see my newly adopted state of Maine (yes that hick-filled-moose-huntin-backwater) with 17 high schools on the list, and similarly populated RI with only 6; is very telling I think.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
What kind of a question is that? SO negative.

You only get into Classical on merit. It's a highly regarded school. 95% of its graduates go on to college and the top graduates go on to the Ivy League.

Harvard doesn't award diplomas and honors without merit and Georgetown doesn't accept law students who don't merit entry.

I wonder if you would have asked the same question about Judge Selya, Bruce Sundlun or your buddy Allan Fung?

I do believe that a good student can get a good education no matter where they go. It's the average to below average students who may need more attention and be less self-motivated.
I was not talking about Classical. Let's just say Harvard has the reputation of having a back door, depending on "who you are". Privileges that are not afforded to people like you and me.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I was not talking about Classical. Let's just say Harvard has the reputation of having a back door, depending on "who you are". Privileges that are not afforded to people like you and me.

Absolutely right MN71. If you have Harvard genes, like a parent or grandparent, family member, etc. who is a Harvard grad, you will be considered before any others. If your parents are doctors, lawyers, well known, have the right name and status, are related to a judge or politician, and donate buckets of money to Harvard, you're in like Flynn. They do give out many merit scholarships, however. I believe Harvard has the highest "giving tree $$$" of any college in the country. Billions plural.

Same with Duke University down here. Each of them turn out some fabulous doctors, lawyers, engineers. Same with universities in CA. They attract a lot of talent.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:52 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
That is where you are far off. You see, personal experience (or the experience of family or whatever) IS data and valuable information for others who might be seeking it. That is what this forum is for. Anyone can google the statistics on something, but REAL LIFE experience shows you a whole other world of perspective that cannot be demonstrated on a data sheet. Just because you have no personal knowledge (like you admittedly don't on Providence, even though you curiously spend endless hours posting about it); does not mean others don't have subject matter that is valuable to other readers, and cannot be obtained by looking at a list of "rankings".

Speaking of rankings, this is interesting:

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

We all know that RI is very subpar as far as public education goes in comparison to surrounding states like MA. But to see my newly adopted state of Maine (yes that hick-filled-moose-huntin-backwater) with 17 high schools on the list, and similarly populated RI with only 6; is very telling I think.
I wonder if you get the irony of your post.

Do you have kids in Rhode Island schools? Have you had kids in Rhode Island schools? Have you ever taught in Rhode Island schools?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:58 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Absolutely right MN71. If you have Harvard genes, like a parent or grandparent, family member, etc. who is a Harvard grad, you will be considered before any others. If your parents are doctors, lawyers, well known, have the right name and status, are related to a judge or politician, and donate buckets of money to Harvard, you're in like Flynn. They do give out many merit scholarships, however. I believe Harvard has the highest "giving tree $$$" of any college in the country. Billions plural.

Same with Duke University down here. Each of them turn out some fabulous doctors, lawyers, engineers. Same with universities in CA. They attract a lot of talent.
How does this apply to Angel Taveras?

Old 05-15-2015, 05:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
That is where you are far off. You see, personal experience (or the experience of family or whatever) IS data and valuable information for others who might be seeking it. That is what this forum is for. Anyone can google the statistics on something, but REAL LIFE experience shows you a whole other world of perspective that cannot be demonstrated on a data sheet.

Sure, and what you get is anecdote, which is not quantifiable or measurable. As in "everyone has one..."

What the lady from NC spouted is anecdote. Anecdote is a "short account of an incident (especially a biographical one) One, two, ten personal experiences aren't data.

Data? "Factual information (as measurements or statistics) used as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or calculation."

I'll take fact-based reality over boring and unprovable "stories" any day. Have I cleared data vs anecdote up for you?

Quote:
Just because you have no personal knowledge (like you admittedly don't on Providence, even though you curiously spend endless hours posting about it); does not mean others don't have subject matter that is valuable to other readers, and cannot be obtained by looking at a list of "rankings".
Oh dear. Seems someone's been hitting the rum candy too early in the morning.

Never said I didn't have knowledge of and experience in Providence. Need new glasses? I live here, babe, I live here; I vote here, I know people here, I interact here. Unlike some, my view of the city is more than rolling on 95 in a beater with the windows rolled up and fear racing through one's corpulent body, quivering with fear like bouncing jello. That would be, you know, not me. You have never lived in this city or this state, yet you spout off like a hot tea kettle. Huh.

But when I don't know something, I tend to stay silent and wait for the facts to reveal the truth.

Are Rhode Island schools awful? I have no idea, I haven't studied the data, but I know the data isn't to be found in anecdote from a pretty shaky and non-resident poster with a mile-wide streak of irrational, ugly animus towards the state.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 05-15-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 05:25 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
How does this apply to Angel Taveras?
It doesn't. And dontcha love non-Ivies -- people who wouldn't gain admission to the Quad for a free picnic -- spouting off about the admissions practices of eight schools? They know the price of everything, the value of nothing. They envy and hate those above them, which is just about everyone.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Oh dear. Seems someone's been hitting the rum candy too early in the morning.

Never said I didn't have knowledge of and experience in Providence. Need new glasses? I live here, babe, I live here; I vote here, I know people here, I interact here. Unlike some, my view of the city is more than rolling on 95 in a beater with the windows rolled up and fear racing through one's corpulent body, quivering with fear like bouncing jello. That would be, you know, not me. You have never lived in this city or this state, yet you spout off like a hot tea kettle. Huh.

But when I don't know something, I tend to stay silent and wait for the facts to reveal the truth.

Are Rhode Island schools awful? I have no idea, I haven't studied the data, but I know the data isn't to be found in anecdote from a pretty shaky and non-resident poster with a mile-wide streak of irrational, ugly animus towards the state.
Funny that you not too long ago said this then:

Quote:
But I have to -- I have to know the real PVD, the city that allegedly love but really know nothing about.
Me, my experience/knowledge of PVD goes back way longer than yours (newbie).

Quote:

Now how about staying silent, if that's even possible.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
It doesn't. And dontcha love non-Ivies -- people who wouldn't gain admission to the Quad for a free picnic -- spouting off about the admissions practices of eight schools? They know the price of everything, the value of nothing. They envy and hate those above them, which is just about everyone.
Who said anything about eight schools?

Your disdain for "non-ivies" aka. average folk is belittling to yourself and speaks volumes about your attitude towards the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island