Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's more along the lines that coyotes are adapting to suburbia. They're even urban. They're withing Boston and Los Angeles city limits, and most other major cities too. I'm sure there are some in Providence itself.
Uh, not on College Hill, right? Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Coyotes are not native to New England.

Maybe not, but they are definitely breeding there now.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Maybe not, but they are definitely breeding there now.
Oh, I know that. It was mentioned that we were encroaching on their territory when it's actually the opposite.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 PM

^ That right? Quick take: I bet you can easily justify the decimation of the Native American tribes and taking their land, too. Because that's equal to your position on coyotes. And don't get me into the internment of American citizens of Japanese origin during WWII. Hope I'm wrong, but I fear the worst.

Coyotes have rights, too, dontchaknow!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Coyotes are not native to New England.
That doesn't contradict my statement. Black bears weren't native to RI either...until forced to ramble from their natural habitat.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:06 AM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
There are a couple of small packs in Newport/Middletown, at least one living mostly on the navy base.

I've heard multiple packs howling back and forth in outer Boston suburban areas.

More surprising to me was discovering that otters live on the ponds in Roger Williams Park.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:47 AM

^ Please stay OT, Sir, because the RW stuff is a whole otter story. (Sorry!)

Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
That doesn't contradict my statement. Black bears weren't native to RI either...until forced to ramble from their natural habitat.

This is a misunderstanding of the process. It isn't animals are being forced out of their natural habitat. It is that they are adapting (it is a type of evolution) and expanding their populations, they aren't being displaced then showing up. Ranges change over time, as habitat changes over time. For the coyotes, their main niche competition in the East is long gone and they've, through behavioral adaptive radiation, expanded to the ecological niche of the wolf, and also adapted to suburbia. There are coyotes within the Boston and NYC city limits and have been for quite awhile. I've they're not in Providence yet (which would be surprising), they soon will be.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is a misunderstanding of the process. It isn't animals are being forced out of their natural habitat. It is that they are adapting (it is a type of evolution) and expanding their populations, they aren't being displaced then showing up. Ranges change over time, as habitat changes over time. For the coyotes, their main niche competition in the East is long gone and they've, through behavioral adaptive radiation, expanded to the ecological niche of the wolf, and also adapted to suburbia. There are coyotes within the Boston and NYC city limits and have been for quite awhile. I've they're not in Providence yet (which would be surprising), they soon will be.
They've been in Providence for at least a decade. I think I first saw them on Blackstone Blvd. circa 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island