Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,454,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
We elected the right man. Makes me proud(er) of our city.
So what's he accomplished so far? Abundance of good jobs now? Taxes cut? School test scores off the charts? Roads now paved in gold?

Please do tell me. Being a distance away now, and not a "local" like yourself; I may have missed all this progress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 12:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,444,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So what's he accomplished so far? Abundance of good jobs now? Taxes cut? School test scores off the charts? Roads now paved in gold?

Please do tell me. Being a distance away now, and not a "local" like yourself; I may have missed all this progress!
What's with the "local" in scare quotes? I AM A LOCAL. I LIVE HERE. No need for "scare quotes," m'kay?

Uh, he took office less than six months ago, dontchaknow.

One, no one has been indicted. He's building a foundation for civil service reform, he's balancing a messy structural budget without raising taxes, reforming fire station staffing, reforming the recreation department, and figuring out, going forward, how to calculate and award and evaluate tax breaks for new investments in the city. And he's brought a youthful energy to the city, which is important because it costs nothing. Clearly, PVD was tired of that drug-addict -- that pancaked, twice-convicted felon septuagenarian, and the sense of renewal is palpable.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 06-28-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 02:59 PM

3,648 posts, read 2,639,463 times
Quote:
Because he his not acting like a mayor, plain and simple. It's a cheap, cowardly way of earning future votes without having to deliver what he was hired to do. Where in his job description does it include making opinionated statements about controversial national political issues?
How, from your vantage point in northern Maine, have you observed Mr. Elorza acting in an other-than-mayoral fashion? Have you even stepped foot in Providence, or even Rhode Island, since he has been Mayor?

One of the basic functions of the Mayor of a City is to lead the citizenry forward. I think that's what he did in this communication.

Feel free not to cast your vote for Elorza during the next campaign. Oh, wait...

Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM

548 posts, read 814,028 times
Do a google news search on "gay marriage" "mayor" "statement" and you'll find that a whole pile of mayors all around the country do think it's in their job description, mayors speaking both in favor and in opposition to the ruling. Ditto if instead of gay marriage you search on "abortion", "gun control", or probably "superbowl deflategate". Necessary for a mayor? Well no, but politicians talk, and it is unlikely the 60 seconds Elorza 'wasted' in doing so will wreck his administration.

Of course, if we had elected Cianci instead, a guy who was preferred over Elorza by certain posters here, I'm sure Buddy would have laser-beam focused on economic development and never, ever, run his mouth on any topic not immediately relevant to Providence city management.

Quote:
Because he his not acting like a mayor, plain and simple. It's a cheap, cowardly way of earning future votes without having to deliver what he was hired to do. Where in his job description does it include making opinionated statements about controversial national political issues?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 PM

4,307 posts, read 3,138,936 times
Quote:

I had so hoped your move to a happier place (for you) would put an end to the constant negativity and sourness.

Your own governor has commented on the issue, just like Elorza and many other mayors and governors across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island