Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,439,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"I was elated to learn that the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that all people throughout the United States have the right to marry the person they love and that the important support systems put in place by the Affordable Care Act are here to stay! These are hard-fought victories for those who fight for equality and progress throughout our nation."
We elected the right man. Makes me proud(er) of our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:31 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,623,825 times
Yes, I too saw that in the email from the Mayor regarding the Independence Day celebrations in the City of Providence. Though it took the State of Rhode Island a little too long to get on board, Providence is among the leaders on this issue.

We have many reasons to be proud of our city.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:39 PM

I dm'd you about a dinner with a collaborating colleague. She proudly stated that she lived in a hundred year old house in Columbus, Ohio. I said that in Rhody that was a modern house.

I relish our history and I feel pretty lucky to live here. Divine Providence, as it were.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:14 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,375,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
We elected the right man. Makes me proud(er) of our city.
And I say way out of line for this "mayor". Regardless of how one feels on this ruling, he for sure has better things to worry about that this federal issue that will have zero effect on PVD or RI. Is he that desperate for popularity or something? Truly pathetic.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:33 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,623,825 times
^Why do you use quotes around Mayor? Do you dispute his election? You aren't even a Rhode Island voter!

It's ok for a Mayor to let the citizenry know his/her position on a matter of civil rights, to recognize a milestone being met, and I doubt it detracted from his focus on other city issues in any significant way. Lighten up, Francis.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Buddy Cianci would have made a statement regarding this milestone as well...

Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,121,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And I say way out of line for this "mayor". Regardless of how one feels on this ruling, he for sure has better things to worry about that this federal issue that will have zero effect on PVD or RI. Is he that desperate for popularity or something? Truly pathetic.
Did I miss the part where a mayor forfeits their right to free speech?

(The SCOTUS ruling does affect RI and every other state, don't know how you could argue otherwise)

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
^Why do you use quotes around Mayor? Do you dispute his election? You aren't even a Rhode Island voter!

It's ok for a Mayor to let the citizenry know his/her position on a matter of civil rights, to recognize a milestone being met, and I doubt it detracted from his focus on other city issues in any significant way. Lighten up, Francis.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Buddy Cianci would have made a statement regarding this milestone as well...
I can answer this.

It's the radical right wing way of attempting to de-legitimize things that are clearly real and true but conflict with their sick worldview. So it leads to "the so-called New York Times," or"President" Obama, or it's "Pullet Surprise" winner. Very juvenile but, you know, it's an ideology based on lies and it's comprised of people who have an aggregate IQ lower than normal body temperature; they work with what they have. Silly, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsonik
Did I miss the part where a mayor forfeits their right to free speech?
Only the radicals, the America-Haters, have a right to free speech.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,138,838 times
Those are known in the biz as "scare quotes." (Note: The quotes I put around "scare quotes" are not scare quotes.) Look, Wikipedia has an article. Wikipedia always has an article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

Though same-sex marriage has been legal here for a couple of years, today's decision does have a direct impact on Rhode Islanders. Same-sex marriages performed in Rhode Island will now be recognized in other states, with all the benefits that such recognition entails. Say two gay Rhode Islanders get married, and one of them ends up being hospitalized in another state that previously didn't have marriage equality. His husband can now take advantage of hospital visitation rights. That's just one example that comes to mind.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:13 AM

7,939 posts, read 4,604,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course, it's not out of line for any mayor to comment on such important decisions from the Supreme Court. These are not just a federal issues, but ones which affects the most basic elements of our lives - health care and marriage. There is still a ways to go. In many, if not most states a gay couple can now get married in the morning and be fired that same afternoon by an employer who just discovered their orientation.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,375,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

Because he his not acting like a mayor, plain and simple. It's a cheap, cowardly way of earning future votes without having to deliver what he was hired to do. Where in his job description does it include making opinionated statements about controversial national political issues?

This does not affect life in RI. The only thing is you may lose a few "marriage tourists" from states whose definition of marriage has now been changed by this judicial activism. I'm sure those numbers are very significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island