Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM

23,551 posts, read 18,651,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
MBTA lists 0 incidents during the first 6 months of this year at South Attleboro. Crimereports.com lists 0 incidents of vehicle theft/damage in the area during the previous 6 months from today. City data lists Attleboro, MA as having a low crime rate, lists Pawtucket, RI as having an average crime rate.

Nothing warrants alarming people unnecessarily.
"0" incidents? I find that very hard to believe, unless they've placed the parking lot in full lock-down in the past year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM

3,764 posts, read 2,679,806 times
See for yourself: MBTA.com > Transit Police

Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,610 times
I know the OP knows better, but for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future and mistaking the above for legitimate advice, there are nearly 600 spaces at South Attleboro and it fills up early every day. If it were truly dangerous in any way, you would think people would avoid it.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Risky business in MBTA lots - The Sun Chronicle : Local News

A little dated now, but I haven't heard of any changes for the better lately.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:45 PM

^As you said, that article is dated. And they stepped up patrols as a result of the problem 8 years ago... even says that in the article you linked. See what I mean about stale information?

Apparently the increased patrols worked.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
Give the stations some time, as the years go by people will start to realize that "hey I can have the awesome job in Boston yet still enjoy EG or Warwick or wherever."

What I don't understand is that the park n rides in South County are full during the day - why aren't more of these people taking the train? Why isn't there limited service on the weekends, which could be really popular with those who want to visit the city (both Boston and Providence)?

Look, I understand not having as frequent service as the trains that only go to Providence, it's ridiculously to have to wait 2.5 hours for the next train.

BTW the WPRI article, while I didn't watch it, from what I heard looked at the train that gets to Boston at 9:30. Ridiculous - obviously ridership will be low. I've taken that train before and even from Mansfield ( busy station) they're only a few people on it.
Were the line electrified and all the other infrastructural changes necessary to go electric, the trip from PVD to South Station could be 40-45 minutes; currently it's about 65 minutes (in theory but almost never in practice). That's tolerable but it is exhausting if you have to, as I sometimes do, go to client locations in Cambridge, or ANYWHERE that involves the T. Now your're talking 90 minutes. So if the electrification were to lop off 20 or 25 minutes on the PVD-BOS run, that would expand the range of opportunities and make commuting so much easier. The notion that it's easy money working in BOS and living in PVD is not entirely true -- the commute wears on you.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Risky business in MBTA lots - The Sun Chronicle : Local News

A little dated now, but I haven't heard of any changes for the better lately.
Come on, MN, get real. From the article you posted:

Quote:
On the Providence-Stoughton Line - which includes Mansfield, Attleboro and South Attleboro stations - Attleboro police reported one auto theft and three incidents of vandalism in South Attleboro from June 1 to Aug. 31. No crimes were reported at Attleboro or Mansfield during that period.
That's a quarterly figure so x4 = 4 thefts. There are 568 spaces at Attleboro. 113,600 opportunities for getting your car stolen over the course of a year (based on 200 working days). So the chance of your car being stolen from Attleboro station is about 1/100th of one percent. /conversation.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
^As you said, that article is dated. And they stepped up patrols as a result of the problem 8 years ago... even says that in the article you linked. See what I mean about stale information?

Apparently the increased patrols worked.
Except from all accounts I've heard, the problem still exists. I doubt if those patrols were very long lived it's just how it goes...

Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
That's a quarterly figure so x4 = 4 thefts. There are 568 spaces at Attleboro. 113,600 opportunities for getting your car stolen over the course of a year (based on 200 working days). So the chance of your car being stolen from Attleboro station is about 1/100th of one percent. /conversation.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Except from all accounts I've heard, the problem still exists.
I'm not sure which grapevine you're tapped into for that erroneous scuttlebutt, but those grapes are future vinegar.

Last edited by ormari; 07-19-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 PM

^ Yes, also, then, too, my math, dontchaknow. No offense, MN, but you are fearful. Not cautious, you are full-blown fearful. And that's fine, that's why you like Maine and SD and there is nothing wrong with that. But it does not align with urban living and you are giving invalid, indeed wildly inaccurate, advice. You are wrong. The math proves it. So maybe you should consider this before scaring people by continuing to spread inaccurate data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island