Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where you get food?
Stop and Shop 5 23.81%
Shaws 4 19.05%
Organic market 1 4.76%
Price rite 2 9.52%
Dave's 6 28.57%
Local place (e.g. Roches, E. Side Market, Belmont 0 0%
Other 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 PM

296 posts, read 532,558 times

Advertisements

Market basket in attleboro. Everything else is a rip off. Used to drive to the one in new Bedford once per week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I recall my humiliation when I first went to Citarella and asked for pound of sliced bacon. "Which one? We have fifteen." I stuttered something, and felt the sting of being new to Manhattan. That was some years ago, and I no loner eat bacon.
Murray's Bagels in New York has something like 10 kinds of smoked salmon. I didn't check the menu, but that's not hyperbole. Scottish! Irish! Norwegian! Sockeye! I once made the mistake of getting the belly lox, which Murray's warns is "salty." I love salt and thought I could easily handle it. I could not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I don't know that ESM is really that more expensive than S&S.
I haven't been to ESM, but when I lived in New York, I lived five minutes away from an amazing supermarket called Natural -- think Whole Foods, but 10 times smaller. It was right next door to C-Town, which smelled and was otherwise horrid. A lot of people went to C-Town (and other local supermarkets) because of a perception that Natural was expensive. Natural had expensive stuff, but they also carried the same stuff C-Town had, and it was just as cheap. It was just a false perception due to the pleasant environment and the selection of high-end foods. I wonder if the same thing is going on with ESM.

Speaking of places that smell, I just visited a Job Lot for the first time and did not enjoy myself. The smell almost made me nostalgic, because I hadn't experienced it since my parents used to drag me to places like National Wholesale Liquidators in the '80s. What is that smell anyway? And do people really buy food there?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:32 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And speaking of ownership, S&S and East Side Marketplace are also owned by the same foreign conglomerate...
That's or Ahold, right? I sure hope that if they make changes, the changes are for the better. I think ESM is pretty weak when it comes to international foods. And their deli section is inconsistent. I date a lot of Jewish guys (what, I should marry a plumber? ) and none that have shopped with me are much moved by the deli.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-28-2015 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Ahold ruined S&S.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 AM

335 posts, read 939,442 times
I drive to Dave's in Smithfield way too early (for me) on Sunday mornings because I despise pretty much all of the options here and I hate chaotic supermarkets so I go early. In MA I shopped at Big Y or the Foxboro Trader Joe's. One time we tried to go to the Attleboro Market Basket on a Sunday evening and it was a frigging mess. Good prices and selection though.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I've been driving up to Market Basket in Attleboro since it opened. Worth the drive as everything seems to be a bit cheaper, employees are friendly, produce quality and selection is great. If I need something quickly I'll run to Whole Foods or sometimes S&S.

I get to Trader Joe's once a month or so to buy some things I like but can't get anywhere else. I try to coordinate it with another trip. I also go to Armando's once a month for meat and latin specialties. I'm curious as to what meat markets people like. My biggest issue is a lot of the smaller ones don't have prices clearly listed so it's hard to comparison shop.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I've been driving up to Market Basket in Attleboro since it opened. Worth the drive as everything seems to be a bit cheaper, employees are friendly, produce quality and selection is great. If I need something quickly I'll run to Whole Foods or sometimes S&S.

I get to Trader Joe's once a month or so to buy some things I like but can't get anywhere else. I try to coordinate it with another trip. I also go to Armando's once a month for meat and latin specialties. I'm curious as to what meat markets people like. My biggest issue is a lot of the smaller ones don't have prices clearly listed so it's hard to comparison shop.
For me, it was always, hands down, Tom's Market in Coventry. Very nice selection, great prices!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Home Depot, and Guitar Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: