Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM

4,307 posts, read 3,138,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Mike Love and Brian Wilson were the founders of the Beach Boys and Mike Love is the lead singer. Brian still plays the keyboard. I wasn't sure if they were still touring as much, but they are -- mostly on the west coast and the southwest in 2014 and 2015.

http://www.stubhub.com/beach-boys-ti...cid=C12289X021

When was the last time they anywhere near RI ? Got a link for quite often?
I told you - they were in Newport in July and have played PPAC, Twin Rivers and the Park Theater over the past two years.

Mike Love is lucky he had a cousin who wrote great songs and let Mike sing with his band. Mike should have respected that more instead of trying to wring every last penny out of the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:04 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
There was a Beach Boy who played at the Park Theatre a little while back.
Looking at their schedule of shows coming up I see some talented acts.
Al Jarreau is a pretty big name. I saw Robert Cray open up for Clapton
(with Phil Collins on drums) at the Civic Center a long time ago.
Events Calendar - Park Theatre - Rhode Island Center for the Performing Arts in Cranston, RI

Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,444,636 times
Look, I'm the Op and I introduced Sinatra and Bennett into the convo. Must you guyz devolve in the utterly inconsequential so-called "Beach Boyz?" Jimminy jay, have you no class, no class at all? Don't mean to be rude, but Jesus on a popsicle stick, let's show some sophistication, m'kay?

Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,031,816 times
Introduce Sinatra all you want.......big fan here

Growing up Irish Catholic in New England there was thing you could count on when visiting relatives..................a picture of John Kennedy on the wall and a ceramic bust of him also.

The Kennedys were royalty in this area................John had quite a bit of interesting history with Sinatra and the boys in the very early sixties...........lots of embellished story's to go along with their friendship.

http://www.pophistorydig.com/topics/...ohn-f-kennedy/

Last edited by JBtwinz; 09-12-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 06:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,444,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Introduce Sinatra all you want.......big fan here

Growing up Irish Catholic in New England there was thing you could count on when visiting relatives..................a picture of John Kennedy on the wall and a ceramic bust of him also.

The Kennedys were royalty in this area................John had quite a bit of interesting history with Sinatra and the boys in the very early sixties...........lots of embellished story's to go along with their friendship.

Frank Sinatra John F. Kennedy | The Pop History Dig
Great read -- thank you.

Perhaps a decade ago the New Yorker had a really long article about Mr. Sinatra. Sent it to my brother and he refused to read it, saying that he was certain it would defame Mr. Sinatra. It really didn't, but I understood his concern. Italian = Mafia at that age. I don't know, I just think he was so gifted. Great actor (Manchurian Candidate), and you know, I don't really mind a little corruption, a little mob ties so long as the trains run on time. I'm proud of my heritage, and while I like beebop and scat singing, no one equals Sinatra. There was Sinatra, and everyone else fell behind.

BTW, in the New Yorker article it was stated that Sinatra built a house for JFK as a West Coast White House. JFK distanced himself from Sinatra and Frankie had the house bulldozed. Being Italian, I can fully relate.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,167,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I told you - they were in Newport in July and have played PPAC, Twin Rivers and the Park Theater over the past two years.
4/13/14 Park Theatre
8/16/14 Newport Yachting Center
4/17/15 Twin River
7/11/15 International Yacht Restoration School, Newport

I couldn't find a PPAC date, but Brian Wilson played Lupo's in 2009.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:56 PM

I saw so many shows at the Tent in the 1990s that I should have been getting mail there. Just a fraction of who I remember seeing - Ray Charles, Dion, Lou Christie, The Righteous Brothers, Chicago, Jay Black, Frankie Valli, Roberta Flack, Ringo Starr & his All-Starr Band (Randy Bachmann, Mark Farner, Joey Molland). That's all I can think of. I went to the premiere of the Tent documentary at the Stadium Theatre and ended up hanging out with Larry Bonoff at Chan's afterward.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I made a conscious decision to avoid posting on this board since someone admitted the more positive the post here, the more they will counter with negativity. That's sad, but if my absence results in less trolling, it's worth it.
I hope you change your mind. Besides your posts being insightful and entertaining, you know that the trolling will be in full force whenever a new member asks a legitimate question. You don't want that to be the only response.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 3,138,936 times
Somehow I never made a show at the tent. The only time I went there was for my high school graduation. But I can tell you that whenever Liberace was in town, he would drop by the Sears at the Midland Mall, unlikely as that seems!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
My high school graduation was at Meehan Auditorium.
I used to play hockey there also. The locker rooms
were like subterranean caves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island