Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
The idea is this: When they reach a certain age, often just before adolescence, black boys get a fairly standard speech from their parents regarding how they need to behave in society to avoid being targeted by law enforcement.
And those that do (of any race), seldom have a problem with law enforcement.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:15 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
^^^ True, and well said.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry, but it wasn't necessary for me to read all of your post. You have no idea who I am, what my background, ethnicity, how educated or uneducated I am, where I've traveled, who and what race, religion or ethnicity are my close friends, what are my relevant social experiences .. or anything else. What is that old saying about "assume" too much?
You should have read all of it, because I talked about how people's background, ethnicity and experiences don't matter -- nearly all of us who were raised in American society are subject to racial bias. That's why that even though I don't know your background, I can assume you have the same biases, conscious or subconscious, as the rest of us. I did assume that you were raised in the U.S., but I believe you've indicated as such in previous posts.

Quote:
It is pure rabble rousing in an attempt to put the above thought into the minds of the less well-adjusted among us, while the northeast has always shown the worst example of racial bias. Maybe the north is finally ashamed. Just maybe the so-called scholars and learned professors at Brown Un. and RISD are conducting seminars and theatre courses to redeem their own hateful pasts.
I disagree that "the northeast has always shown the worst example of racial bias" -- slavery and Jim Crow are kind of tough to compete with, and one school in Mississippi held its first integrated prom in 2008, under pressure from Morgan Freeman -- but other than that, I completely agree. Today admissions of racism and attempts to remedy it have become characteristic of those who recognize the injustice of racism, while denials of racism are paradoxically becoming the exclusive domain of racists.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
You should have read all of it, because I talked about how people's background, ethnicity and experiences don't matter -- nearly all of us who were raised in American society are subject to racial bias. That's why that even though I don't know your background, I can assume you have the same biases, conscious or subconscious, as the rest of us. I did assume that you were raised in the U.S., but I believe you've indicated as such in previous posts.

I disagree that "the northeast has always shown the worst example of racial bias" -- slavery and Jim Crow are kind of tough to compete with, and one school in Mississippi held its first integrated prom in 2008, under pressure from Morgan Freeman -- but other than that, I completely agree. Today admissions of racism and attempts to remedy it have become characteristic of those who recognize the injustice of racism, while denials of racism are paradoxically becoming the exclusive domain of racists.
I don't know about Mississippi, but when in Tennessee I found the AVERAGE person to be far less biased than those in RI/MA, etc. They are SO far ahead of us down there, in that regard. Tolerance is not something RI (or the rest of Southern New England) is known for.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't know about Mississippi, but when in Tennessee I found the AVERAGE person to be far less biased than those in RI/MA, etc. They are SO far ahead of us down there, in that regard. Tolerance is not something RI (or the rest of Southern New England) is known for.
It is impossible to measure racism. Anything posted is purely anecdotal and influenced by any number of things.

I looked to see if there were any statistics that would show if one area is more racist than another, and the only thing I found was number of hate crimes. The South leads the pack. So, while the NorthEast may be more or less biased or tolerant, we will never know, as there is no way to measure that other than one's "feeling" about the matter.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:23 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Tolerance is not something RI (or the rest of Southern New England) is known for.
You seem to hold a minority view- tolerance is something RI is known for and has long prided itself upon.

The Independent Man statue atop the RI state house stands for "Rhode Island’s early reputation for liberty, tolerance and free thinking".

Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You seem to hold a minority view- tolerance is something RI is known for and has long prided itself upon.
I think a lot of RI residents who fit that view have moved out of state.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I think a lot of RI residents who fit that view have moved out of state.
By "that view" I presume you mean the minority view? With that I concur.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:

Once again, you miss the point. Yes, born brought up white female, raised and educated in RI; well traveled and open minded. Amazing isn't it that a R.I.'er can admit no racial or religious bias and walks the middle of the road on such subjects; quite unexpected according to your posts. Not left leaning, not right leaning. Amazing -- I sometimes decide to vote GOP or DEM depending on the merits. It's called being an independent thinker, with the ability to make an unbiased decision -- not on where one lives or what their ethnicity is.

And yes, the northeast has shown the worst example of racial bias going back years. The people of color or ethnicity in RI settled in certain areas so they could be among 'their own kind'. I always wondered what 'kind' was that. Races up there were pigeon-holed and usually did certain menial jobs. I suppose it was the same in many places up north but it was kept fairly quiet, whispered in neighborhoods and called 'those people' not to mingle with. The racial bias was glaring up there. Tolerance is simply another word for ignoring them. Tight lipped northerners simply weren't as vocal, mean-spirited in public, or accusatory. But the 'colored' had their place. The northern 'colored' never made an issue of it; they just went about their business quietly, in schools and so forth and now it is called 'tolerance'. They were 'quietly' discriminated against and the ones who thrived and became dignified professionals deserve to be recognized. Not the Freddie Grays of the world. One of the girls in my senior high class got pregnant by a black athlete -- she was ostracized and a hard life followed her and the child. Getting pregnant was bad enough, but by a black guy. She was sent away.

What makes this Trinity issue so distasteful is they are using Freddie Grey, and as an example of a nice 'colored' boy who they've chosen as a poster child for disruption and riots ! He was a low life criminal who had the same opportunities as any other black boy, but he chose not to rise up and take advantage of opportunities in this century. Now you have every other opportunistic ignoramus using him as a poster child. He was a thug.

There are many examples of intelligent, brilliant people of color and other races. Why not use the stage to promote togetherness instead of continually dividing. Sad, very sad. And the worst part is, most of the replies on this particular thread are part of the problem, not the solution.

There is no "systematic killing of people of color by the police."

Old 10-26-2015, 04:34 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:

There is no "systematic killing of people of color by the police."
Well, here she is, the producer who uttered those quotable words to the ProJo.

In Rhode Island, taxpayers fund this directly for millions of dollars.
Why in the world are these places charging admission if taxpayers
are already paying the salaries of these questionably talented "artists" ?
No wonder why she's smiling so much.

It's just so asinine.
Rhode Island is for idiots.
I'm sure they are all enjoying this free money at their parties !
Trust ME. These people DO know how to party !
What a joke. here's the latest round of welfare for "artists": https://lintvwpri.files.wordpress.co...question-5.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: