Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times

Advertisements

Ok, so you only have $4000. I'm assuming you're planning on flying to Providence and shipping your belongings. Let's look at some numbers.

You don't have a car, and can't afford a car, so you're going to, most likely, want to be in Providence where you can bicycle around, and take the bus.

Average rent for a 1 bedroom apt. in Providence is $1049/mo. For a 2 bdrm, it's $1240/mo. With no job, you're going to be required to pre-pay at least 6 months, but probably a year. Assuming you get a 2 bdrm with your friend, that's $620/mo each. Pre-paying 6 months puts you at $3720. You now have $280 left over (assuming you got a free airline ticket, and someone shipped your goods to you for free). That isn't enough to turn on your utilities.

The only other thing I can think of, is look for an apartment share or house share on Craigslist or roommates.com where the people may be more willing and able to work with you, but figure, even in that scenario, you're going to have a $500/mo rent, and they are most likely going to want some sort of security.

To me, anyway, it sounds like you don't have enough money to do what you want to do. Obviously you are free to try, but Providence is not the place I would want to end up homeless in the winter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:53 PM

There are extended stay places, but the cheapest is $75/night, so you could, potentially, stay there for a month while you try to find a job in order to secure an apartment. It would run you just over $2000 for the month.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,059 times
We would split the rent/utilities accordingly to our income, assuming we reached that point. We've also considered Massachussets as he also works out of Fall River and the neighboring states depending on their proximity. Presumably I would also have at least one job within a week or two of moving in, it's not like I'm going to just fly in and sit in an apartment all day, and the minimum wage is at least somewhat generous on the east coast compared to the federal wage. Im not saying it would be easy, but I dont believe my situation would be as limited as you describe it to be.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
The numbers, as laid out by Raiderman, would give me pause if I were you. It looks tough to me. Some risk is the nature of life, but think carefully about a plan, particularly a contingency plan. You have little margin in which to work.

Have you considered military service? It is not for everyone, but it is a way to serve our country, can open career doors for you, and can help you get an education.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
^^^ The best advice for you Sean is to take ORMARI's advice. Both you and your friend could/should join the service considering the position you are both in currently. You can get an education, health benefits, move up the ladder and get a rank; and, see the world, or at least different parts of the country.

Your plan is doomed to fail, too many obstacles in your path. We know, you're full of steam and want to forge ahead, but RI is a very expensive place to live even for people with more than a high school education and a history of good job experience and decent income. Even if you had $20K, in your pocket today, that would get eaten up pretty soon without a job. Being a ticket taker at the movies, or sweeping the cinema floor won't get you anywhere but being a sad case.

If you are looking for validation Sean, you're not going to get it from people with varying life experiences and the income to live in New England. We were all 24 once and even if you graduate from college, it's a tough row to hoe when you get out.

Your friend has been living at home; his parents may be tired of him living off them at age 24 or so. I'll be right up front, in order to stand on your own two feet, you have to have them solidly on the ground; and, you don't. You only have a dream and want someone to agree with you.

Please define your wants and needs; go back to school, join the service, get some accomplishments under your belt. That is how you can gain pride in yourself and grow. Best to you.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
You are rudderless.

I had a cousin like you....though he made more than minimum wage and he had a paid for car. But he was directionless. High school grad.......no college.

He enlisted in the Navy. 3 squares a day, free medical, on the job training AND a paycheck. He was in Underwater Demo. Retired after 20 years as a Chief Petty Officer. Still in his 40's....he gets a retirement check every month, his VA benefits and he has a second career.

Give it some thought.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
You are rudderless.

I had a cousin like you....though he made more than minimum wage and he had a paid for car. But he was directionless. High school grad.......no college.

He enlisted in the Navy. 3 squares a day, free medical, on the job training AND a paycheck. He was in Underwater Demo. Retired after 20 years as a Chief Petty Officer. Still in his 40's....he gets a retirement check every month, his VA benefits and he has a second career.

Give it some thought.
I was the same way at 19, after being on my own for a couple years. I joined the Navy for all of the above. Unfortunately, I was injured during Desert Storm, and couldn't make it my career. A great friend of mine, who joined at the same time (we were on the same plane to Boot Camp, that's how I met him), just retired after almost 22 years, as an E7 (Chief Petty Officer), with a lifelong pension. He's 41 years old..

Old 11-11-2015, 04:42 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Parker View Post
I appreciate the advice the advice/assertion, but that is not what I'm asking about here or currently pursuing. My plan right now is to move out while looking into how I can go about doing the best way of possible. It may not be the ideal thing to do, but I am not in an ideal situation and my options are fairly limited, so I'm going to try regardless. I am well aware of the limitations of working entry level jobs, Ive worked several over the past seven years and I have every intention of looking into that at some point. Thank you for your comments,but if you have no suggestions or anything directly relevant to the topic/question listed at the top of the page, I would ask that you refrain from posting anything else.
Thanks for making it clear you're in "Get the Hell out of Dodge" mode so I'll pass on more vocational advice. If your friend is employed, let him short term lease an apartment until you can get your bearings (employment). Then lease something together. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:55 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Parker View Post
Presumably I would also have at least one job within a week or two of moving in, it's not like I'm going to just fly in and sit in an apartment all day, and the minimum wage is at least somewhat generous on the east coast compared to the federal wage.
Unless you've been promised one, you can't count on getting a job in a week or two. Especially with no car, you'd be limited in the jobs you could apply to.

Yes, minimum wage will be higher, but the cost of living is a lot more.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 3,421 times
I don't know what your work experience is, but their are lots of restaraunts/bars in Providence area. Maybe waiter or bartend to start out. Lots of bouncing jobs at downtown clubs, bars on Federal Hill area. Depending on if you care exactly where you live, you can find apartments for under 1000, just might be in a rough area. Lots of peole hustle jobs and make it. It all depends what your looking for. Lots of Rhode Islanders are miserable doom and gloom types, and will only look at negatives. But I think it's cool your willing to take a risk and move here. I know I probly wouldn't have had the balls to do something like that. But your still young, try it out. Providence is a great city with tons of things to do. And plenty of other things to do throughout the state and region. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't work out and you move back home. But at least you'll never wonder, " what if"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island