Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 4,054 times

Advertisements

I'll try to be as thorough and descriptive as possible in this post, so I'll start from the beginning. I'm 24, I live in West Bend WI, a small town (around 30,000 people) that I have lived in for over six years after I finished high school. I have a friend who lives in Providence, he's 21 and we've been talking about moving in to an apartment for the last six months. I'll have up to around $4000 saved up after my last paycheck (I put in my two weeks last saturday) and my friend works as an emt at alert ambulance making 13/hr working 60-70 hours a week. Because Im in Wisconsin and have never lived in RI, I know almost nothing about it outside of what my friend has told me and I can't be there in person to sign any leases until I actually fly over, which I can't afford to do until Im sure that we have at least one place to move to. We're both still looking at apartment listings mainly on craigslist (which I don't trust), and I've opted to skype in to any visits he makes for me assuming we find anything promising. He's also suggested finding a cheap temporary room or sublet to move into and find a job while continuing the search from there, the probem being that a lot of the listings I've found seem to have to same requirements and long term stay expectations of the apartments, I have not found any that either seemed temporary or were month to month leases. Lastly I have considered just flying in to a cheap motel and doing the apartment search from there, but I dont want to risk spending all of or any of the money I've spent the last three months saving before I actually find something. I don't know what Im looking for, at this point I'm just responding to more online ads hoping that enough people will be sympathetic to risk making the trip. So if anyone happens to read this and has any suggestions, advice, questions, criticisms, etc, Im all ears.

Last edited by Sean Parker; 11-10-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Parker View Post
I'll try to be as thorough and descriptive as possible in this post, so I'll start from the beginning. I live in West Bend WI, a small town (around 30,000 people) that I have lived in for over six years with the intention of leaving for just as long. I have a friend who lives in Providence who I've been talking with about moving in to an apartment for the last six months. I'll have up to around $4000 saved up after my last paycheck (I put in my two weeks last saturday) and my friend works as an emt at alert ambulance making 13/hr working 60-70 hours a week. Because Im in Wisconsin and have never lived in RI, I know almost nothing about it outside of what my friend has told me and I can't be there in person to sign any leases until I actually fly over, which I can't afford to do until Im sure that we have at least one place to move to. We're both still looking at apartment listings mainly on craigslist (which I don't trust). I've opted to skype in to any visits he makes for me assuming we find anything promising. He's also suggested finding a cheap temporary room or sublet to move into and find a job or an apartment from there, the probem being that a lot of the listings I've found seem to have to same requirements and long term stay expectations of the apartments, I have not found any that either seemed temporary or were month to month leases. Lastly I have considered just flying in to a cheap motel and doing the apartment search form there, but I dont want to risk spending all of or any of the money I've spent the last three months saving before I actually find something. I don't know what Im looking for, at this point I'm just responding to more online ads hoping that enough people will be sympathetic to risk making the trip. So if anyone happens to read this and has any suggestions, advice, questions, criticisms, etc, Im all ears.
Why don't you stay with your friend until you find a place?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Why don't you stay with your friend until you find a place?
Because he lives with his parents, as do I. His family is trying to get him out of the house, not bring in more people, so thats not an option.

Last edited by Sean Parker; 11-10-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
First of all, what is it you've been doing for a living? Any degrees?

No car?

Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
First of all, you won't be able to rent anything without a job or a lot more $$$ than a few thousand. Landlords require that you be employed or be able to pay at least a year's rent up front. Let your friend rent something for himself since he has a job and then you can fly out for a few days, stay on his couch, look around, and see what job possibilities there might be here for you- it really is going to depend on what you're looking for and what you're trained to do for a living as ocngypz pointed out…

Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
First of all, what is it you've been doing for a living? Any degrees?

No car?

I mostly get around on my bike and via public transportation, like I said I'm 24 and out of high school. I can't afford to go to college either so that isn't going to be an option for me anytime soon, my only priority is finding a place to get settled and work from there. I have a little over four thousand and some personal belongings and thats it.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Here's your real priority: You need to get a career or a trade. You're already 24! A minimum wage job could be a trap for the rest of your life. If you have no money, consider staying at home and going to community college (work nights as a waiter or something to earn tuition).
Or if you prefer to learn a trade, apprentice yourself- learn welding, masonry, plumbing, barbering, anything to make a living.

http://www.collegescholarships.org/s...nal-school.htm

Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here's your real priority: You need to get a career or a trade. You're already 24! A minimum wage job could be a trap for the rest of your life. If you have no money, consider staying at home and going to community college (work nights as a waiter or something to earn tuition).
Or if you prefer to learn a trade, apprentice yourself- learn welding, masonry, plumbing, barbering, anything to make a living.

Scholarships for Vocational School
I appreciate the advice the advice/assertion, but that is not what I'm asking about here or currently pursuing. My plan right now is to move out while looking into how I can go about doing the best way of possible. It may not be the ideal thing to do, but I am not in an ideal situation and my options are fairly limited, so I'm going to try regardless. I am well aware of the limitations of working entry level jobs, Ive worked several over the past seven years and I have every intention of looking into that at some point. Thank you for your comments,but if you have no suggestions or anything directly relevant to the topic/question listed at the top of the page, I would ask that you refrain from posting anything else.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Fair enough- my advice based on many decades is no good I guess- but you'll find out soon enough. Some only learn through direct experience.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 PM

It's appreciated Holly, but not what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island