Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebruaryGirl View Post
Hello single female in her mid twenties. I've done my fair share of research on the RI forum. I saw a thread were someone was comparing Providence neighborhoods to Buffalo.

I currently live south of Boston and frequent many places that are considered "hood" like Brockton, Mattapan, Dorchester (blue hill ave part), use to work in Chelsea . I'm also familiar with the Springfield "hoods".

Not once have I ever felt threatened for my life. So my question is , does Pawtucket compare to any of the MA cities I've listed?

As for Central Falls... What MA city would you compare it to?

I'm asking because these are the two areas I'm considering moving to. I know on here they get a bad rep but i would like to get an idea what towns would you compare these two cities to?

Here's the list of options:

Lawrence
Brockton
Chelsea
Mattapan
Dorchester
Roxbury (Dudley station area)
Springfield
Lynn
Oh, Dahhllling, you simply must not waste your time any further. The thought of considering any of these places, why, it simply gives me the chills. Why, if you feel safe in one of those, oh what did you call them, those "hoods", why, you have simply been conditioned to feel that way. They are simply not safe, I tell you. Not safe! And please, dear, please be careful. It is not like me to speak poorly of a place or a person, but in this case I will make a personal exception just for you, to protect you. I do this out of the kindness of my heart and I assure you my knowledge is superior to that of any other. You never know what kind of disreputable persons, if you know what I mean, might mislead you about a place. Why, it's the internet!

You must listen to me. Do not, under any circumstances, consider the places you are considering. If you must sully yourself by living in Rhode Island, especially those places, I simply don't know what will become of you.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,187 times
Thanks for the replies everyone

I don't wanna get into too much detail about why I'm moving but it's necessary to say the least .

My budget is no more than $800 . I've looked at all areas along route 1 / 95 and the Attleboro still is about $900+

I don't want to say what town I'm from to keep anonymity but I'm from a predominant black town south of Boston which is middle class. I frequented "the hood" because my families friends and churches were there. I'm black btw

I have a college degree and would like to move away from these parts but it seems like the areas I truly would want to live in ... East prov / oak hill , or Dedham west Hyde park in MA are so pricey .

Any recommendations ? Should I just do house share ?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:

I don't wanna get into too much detail about why I'm moving but it's necessary to say the least .

My budget is no more than $800 . I've looked at all areas along route 1 / 95 and the Attleboro still is about $900+

I don't want to say what town I'm from to keep anonymity but I'm from a predominant black town south of Boston which is middle class. I frequented "the hood" because my families friends and churches were there. I'm black btw

I have a college degree and would like to move away from these parts but it seems like the areas I truly would want to live in ... East prov / oak hill , or Dedham west Hyde park in MA are so pricey .

East Providence should not be out of your range, and that is a place I might consider. Do you mean the East Side of Providence? Well yes, that is more pricy.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
East Providence should not be out of your range, and that is a place I might consider. Do you mean the East Side of Providence? Well yes, that is more pricy.

What's the difference between east providence and the east side? I thought those were the same lol

Old 11-21-2015, 07:45 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
What's the difference between east providence and the east side? I thought those were the same lol
No the "East Side" is an area of the city of Providence (ie. Dorchester to Boston), while East Providence is a separate city (as Quincy is for example).

Old 11-22-2015, 06:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:

There may be some areas in Warwick and Cranston, or North Providence that would be fine for you. However, $800/mo. is low for anywhere in RI. Best wishes to you.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:06 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Where do you work? MA? If you moved to RI, you'd have increased commutation expenses.

Parts of Woonsocket aren't that bad once you get out of the downtown area. But you'd need a car to get around.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Hello single female in her mid twenties. I've done my fair share of research on the RI forum. I saw a thread were someone was comparing Providence neighborhoods to Buffalo.

I currently live south of Boston and frequent many places that are considered "hood" like Brockton, Mattapan, Dorchester (blue hill ave part), use to work in Chelsea . I'm also familiar with the Springfield "hoods".

Not once have I ever felt threatened for my life. So my question is , does Pawtucket compare to any of the MA cities I've listed?

As for Central Falls... What MA city would you compare it to?

I'm asking because these are the two areas I'm considering moving to. I know on here they get a bad rep but i would like to get an idea what towns would you compare these two cities to?
Did you choose Pawtucket and Central Falls because of proximity to the area you know now? Is it safe to say you don't want to be too far from the places you frequent in Mattapan, Dorchester, and Brockton?

I would choose Pawtucket over Central Falls, but I haven't spent significant time in Central Falls so caveat lector. I know Pawtucket much better, and many parts of it are fine, in spite of what some here claim. There is a poster here by the name of MP775 who lives in Pawtucket and seems to have the most on the ground knowledge about Pawtucket out of all the posters here. Maybe they'll chime in...

Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Is $800 your budget for rent only, or all in? I think $800 plus utilities could get you a great one bedroom in Oak Hill; the problem is that most of the apartments are 3-beds in multifamily houses. There is a one bed on Zillow right now for $600 at 459 East Avenue. You could also look at the area between Blodgett Avenue and Main Street south of Sayles Avenue, which isn't as "nice" as much of Oak Hill but is close to Hope Artiste Village with lots of young people, stuff to do, and a short R-Line ride (from Main Street) to downtown Providence.

None of Pawtucket is as "hood" as Mattapan or Dorchester (and I have no problem walking around either). Safety in the less desirable neighborhoods is less of a concern than dealing with less desirable housing stock and landlords. Much of the city is also bound to have fewer single people, less to do in the neighborhood, and less frequent public transportation (if that's important to you).

Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 PM

54 posts, read 89,813 times
Pawtucket has had online crime mapping for a while. See here https://www.raidsonline.com/ and choose RI-Pawtucket from the city list. The eastern and western ends of the city tend to fare better, while downtown, Broadway, and the areas between I-95 and Pawtucket Ave. can be considered rough. I wouldn't rule out Pawtucket but do consider surrounding cities and towns which are more suburban and will have lower crime (Central Falls and Providence being the exception to that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island