Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I have never heard that idiom before; what does it mean to blow at a car? Race past them? Glower at them?

So you plan to drive to RI from NC, all on country roads to avoid cities?

Keep that car in tip top condition, and make sure there's air in the spare to avoid a blowout. The roads can be terrible, and you probably don't want to be searching for help on a rainy night, even if it might make for an interesting story.
We have traveled in all but 13 states. We have driven on all types of roads from a 12 lane freeway to a grassy cow path. You can keep your superior attitude. It is totally wasted on me. At least in our state we are nice enough to let a person park at our public libraries. And yes, we were "honked" at for no reason so we haven't lost a thing in RI. And we don't usually charge people to travel across a bridge. You must be a really poor state.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have traveled in all but 13 states. We have driven on all types of roads from a 12 lane freeway to a grassy cow path. You can keep your superior attitude. It is totally wasted on me. At least in our state we are nice enough to let a person park at our public libraries. And yes, we were "honked" at for no reason so we haven't lost a thing in RI. And we don't usually charge people to travel across a bridge. You must be a really poor state.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip to Rhode Island. I wonder if the real problem was that it rained the whole time, which would ruin anybody's trip. It has been very rainy lately. I'm guessing it was the rain because I find it hard to imagine that paying a bridge toll and encountering a no-parking sign at a library would spoil a whole vacation for me.

That bridge is the only toll in the state, actually. It's very standard across the country to charge a toll for a bridge of that magnitude. I'm not sure I've ever been on such a large bridge that didn't have a toll. You got me curious, so I looked up the 10 largest suspension bridges in the U.S., and every one of them has a toll. The Newport Bridge isn't in the top 10, but it's close (I can't find a list that goes beyond 10, but the difference in length between Newport and No. 10 isn't very big).

Oh, the 59th Street/Queensboro/Ed Koch Bridge in New York doesn't have a toll! That's a pretty big one. It's much shorter than the Newport Bridge, though. And much uglier -- no money to pay for aesthetics?

The library, meanwhile, isn't a public library, assuming you're talking about the Redwood Athenaeum. It's a private institution and always has been. Only paying members can borrow books, though anyone can walk in and look around. I suppose they're sensitive about parking because they're located in a dense, heavily traveled area full of tourists and they probably need their small lot (I assume it's small; I didn't even know they had one) for their employees and possibly members.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
At least in our state we are nice enough to let a person park at our public libraries.
Redwood Athanaeum is a private library, not a public library. Since it's located in the middle of a congested downtown with limited parking, it's their right to post "Private Parking" signs so out of tourists don't abandon their cars on their property while they shop and dine all day. From their website, it does look like non-members visiting the library are allowed to park there; the signs should make that clearer.

Newport does also have a public library (with free parking!)

Quote:
And we don't usually charge people to travel across a bridge. You must be a really poor state.
NC must be getting poor, too, since it just opened a new toll road five years ago.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Redwood Athanaeum is a private library, not a public library. Since it's located in the middle of a congested downtown with limited parking, it's their right to post "Private Parking" signs so out of tourists don't abandon their cars on their property while they shop and dine all day. From their website, it does look like non-members visiting the library are allowed to park there; the signs should make that clearer.

Newport does also have a public library (with free parking!)

NC must be getting poor, too, since it just opened a new toll road five years ago.
'
How many times can you fit the State of RI into the State of NC ? Doesn't even matter actually -- with the influx of more people (the ignorant horn blowers) from the northeast and Florida, the traffic has just about tripled due to the state's enormous popularity. One toll road ? Big flippin' deal.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
What a shame NCN that you stayed in your condo in the rain. You missed so much in Newport. You could have gone to the Newport Art Museum, driven the Ocean Drive circuit, gone to the mansions on Bellevue Ave, driven out to see Ft Adams, visited the big antique shop on Thames, gone to a nice restaurant. No one likes a big trip ruined for rain, but you might have tried to mitigate the damages a bit more.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:06 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
coming into NC from Virginia there is a toll road in NC. This is a web site from NC. so there must be tolls somewhere in NC. https://www.ncdot.gov/turnpike/tolls/

This is from SC Southern Connector Toll Road - Interstate 185 - Greenville SC

Old 06-16-2017, 05:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
coming into NC from Virginia there is a toll road in NC. This is a web site from NC. so there must be tolls somewhere in NC. https://www.ncdot.gov/turnpike/tolls/

Sorry to disappoint you. Have no idea how you're getting on a toll road from VA to NC ... there is none. I've driven it a zillion times, both by car and a heavy duty pick up hauling a 39' RV. You go thru a small part of NY, then Scranton PA. If there are any tolls at all, they might be in the NY & PA area, but I don't recall. I don't have a map in front of me. You take Rt. 81 all the way down thru VA to Johnson City, TN, where you can get off at Rt. 240 and then Rt. 40 in Asheville, then on to I-26 So. NO tolls whatsoever.

Takes me 2 days (18 hrs.) to get from my driveway to Cumberland or Attleboro. One night stay somewhere around Carlisle PA. Rt. 81 is a beautiful drive, catch the highway Rt. 84 in Scranton PA, go through a bit of NY, drop down to Rt. 9 to Rt. 95, thru New London etc. and voila ... hold your nose from the Prov. smog and cover your ears from horn blowers, watch your rear view mirror for the tailgators.

( the links above didn't open ) send them another way and I'll look at 'em.

I-85 in SC is SC -- nothing to do with NC at all. I-85 does go south from NC into SC to Greenville SC, and winds around Charlottte, also with the new ring road of 485 around Charlotte. I'll go that way if I'm driving to FL, or go through Atlanta to Rt 75 down thru Valdosta GA to the 'left side' of FL. Don't recall any tolls thru there either.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post

Looks like just that new one in the RDU area. It doesn't go into VA. I would think it be pretty easy to avoid no matter where you are going,.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry to disappoint you. Have no idea how you're getting on a toll road from VA to NC ... there is none. I've driven it a zillion times, both by car and a heavy duty pick up hauling a 39' RV. You go thru a small part of NY, then Scranton PA. If there are any tolls at all, they might be in the NY & PA area, but I don't recall. I don't have a map in front of me. You take Rt. 81 all the way down thru VA to Johnson City, TN, where you can get off at Rt. 240 and then Rt. 40 in Asheville, then on to I-26 So. NO tolls whatsoever.

Takes me 2 days (18 hrs.) to get from my driveway to Cumberland or Attleboro. One night stay somewhere around Carlisle PA. Rt. 81 is a beautiful drive, catch the highway Rt. 84 in Scranton PA, go through a bit of NY, drop down to Rt. 9 to Rt. 95, thru New London etc. and voila ... hold your nose from the Prov. smog and cover your ears from horn blowers, watch your rear view mirror for the tailgators.

( the links above didn't open ) send them another way and I'll look at 'em.

I-85 in SC is SC -- nothing to do with NC at all. I-85 does go south from NC into SC to Greenville SC, and winds around Charlottte, also with the new ring road of 485 around Charlotte. I'll go that way if I'm driving to FL, or go through Atlanta to Rt 75 down thru Valdosta GA to the 'left side' of FL. Don't recall any tolls thru there either.
I'll send this one separately https://www.ncdot.gov/turnpike/tolls/ or maybe you could just google both North Carolina Toll Roads and South Carolina Toll Roads and see what you get. Perhaps the toll road, maybe a bridge, is in Virginia, but I never said interstate. There is a toll area south of Virginia Beach heading to Hatteras. But there are toll roads/bridges in both NC and SC.

Last edited by mr2448; 06-16-2017 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 AM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
'
How many times can you fit the State of RI into the State of NC ? Doesn't even matter actually -- with the influx of more people (the ignorant horn blowers) from the northeast and Florida, the traffic has just about tripled due to the state's enormous popularity. One toll road ? Big flippin' deal.
You could say the same of RI, if you're being fair - one flipping toll bridge, big deal. I thought there were some toll bridges to the outer banks? I know that Currituck bridge is going to be a toll bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island